US State Dept notice

don731

Here's the direct link.  It pretty well says - don't cruise and we can't guarantee that we will get you home if you get stuck somewhere.  We sail on the Rivera Wednesday and have not yet cancelled.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html?fbclid=IwAR23mRlu4-382HLuSM8i0KWQBSaZ4heDniggmxR3kBR6e2EgWiKr6B0EseM

• Like 1

Not stopping me and we are the demographic age wise that the alert applies to, 65 and 70. I refuse to think of myself as elderly. In my mind I am still a teenager.

Edited by susiesan
  • Like 2

For those in the high risk demographic,  there are worse things than getting infected with Covid-19 virus and quarantined  on a cruise ship.  It is not such a bad thing for those who love cruising.   True?

Safe travels  and  enjoy your cruise.👍 

from US. State Deparrment:

Passengers on Cruise Ships

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment.

Edited by Justalone

3 hours ago, Justalone said:

For those in the high risk demographic,  there are worse things than getting infected with Covid-19 virus and quarantined  on a cruise ship.  It is not such a bad thing for those who love cruising.   True?

Not if I was in an inside cabin....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kathy9 said:

Not if I was in an inside cabin....

Maybe all cruise lines should shut down inside cabins during this virus hysteria. With all the cancellations going on they have the space to move people booked in insides to cabins with a door that opens to the outside to bring in fresh air. I would love to see that happen for my Marina cruise in June, would make me more inclined not to cancel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My recollection from other posts is that people are not allowed on their balconies when quarantined for illness. Not sure how it would apply if everyone is confined to their cabins. Can someone clarify?

It does seem that the greatest risk is from cabin attendants and food service, when there is quarantine.

Mary

22 minutes ago, azam71209 said:

My recollection from other posts is that people are not allowed on their balconies when quarantined for illness. Not sure how it would apply if everyone is confined to their cabins. Can someone clarify?

It does seem that the greatest risk is from cabin attendants and food service, when there is quarantine.

Mary

That doesn't stop people from opening their balcony doors. It also didn't stop the people from the Diamond Princess from going out on their balconies. No one can monitor what thousands of people in their cabins are doing. There will be no more quarantines on ships that are here in the US. Everyone learned from the Diamond fiasco that is what you don't do.

If governments are going advise people not to go on cruise ships then they need to also advise not to fly. Anywhere. Maybe everyone in the world should just stay home for the next month, don't leave your house, don't go to work, hunker down in survival mode and wait the dreaded corona virus out. Palm smacks forehead.

4 hours ago, azam71209 said:

Mary

The fiasco with the Diamond Princess just proved that "quarantine" on a ship really isn't effective. Officials neglected to take into account that ships do not have HEPA filters in the air handling equipment and the effect is that recirculated air ... along with tiny, airborne particles ...  easily makes its way between staterooms, public spaces, etc. 

2 minutes ago, susiesan said:

If governments are going advise people not to go on cruise ships then they need to also advise not to fly. Anywhere. Maybe everyone in the world should just stay home for the next month, don't leave your house, don't go to work, hunker down in survival mode and wait the dreaded corona virus out. Palm smacks forehead.

That's exactly what China did in Wuhan and what Italy has ordered 25% of their population to do now. 😱

• Like 2

Israel has become the first country to effectively ban everyone. No one will go there for any reason if they have to be quarantined for 14 days:

https://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/Israeli-diagnosis-two-more-people-with-coronavirus-patients-40-and-41-620347

Which country is next? I've been joking about everyone just staying home but soon we may have no choice since there won't be anywhere to go.

11 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Israel has become the first country to effectively ban everyone. No one will go there for any reason if they have to be quarantined for 14 days:

https://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/Israeli-diagnosis-two-more-people-with-coronavirus-patients-40-and-41-620347

Which country is next? I've been joking about everyone just staying home but soon we may have no choice since there won't be anywhere to go.

All people entering Israel from abroad will be required to spend 14 days in home-isolation, the prime minister said Monday. 

I have a real problem with the concept of “home-isolation”. It sounds good but how does it really work? What about your family - wife/husband/children? Do they all just have to agree to possibly get sick? What if you have older parents at home who are at higher risk? Who so going to deliver food for these people for 14 days - not everyone can arrange that for one reason or another. If husband is on home-isolation and then the wife goes to the supermarket, is she putting others at risk? Etc., etc. etc.

Edited by Paulchili

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

And who will enforce this? Maybe Israel can try since they are such a small country but can you imagine what would happen if only a city in the US were to try and do this? It would never work.

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

And who will enforce this? Maybe Israel can try since they are such a small country but can you imagine what would happen if only a city in the US were to try and do this? It would never work.

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

Well there is this  thing called Martial law, enforced by National Guard...it has been done before in various cities       Here is the latest

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Thousands of passengers on a third Princess Cruises ship are being kept on board while crew members get tested for COVID-19.

The Caribbean Princess, on a 10-day trip to the Panama Canal, was scheduled to dock in Grand Cayman on Monday. But the Çalifornia-based cruise line said it will keep passengers and crew from disembarking, and instead will pick up test kits after notifying the CDC that two crew members had transferred from a Princess ship in California where a guest had tested positive for COVID-19.

These crew members being tested are currently "asymptomatic" and are remaining alone in their rooms “out of an abundance of caution" as the ship returns to Fort Lauderdale, the company statement said.

The ship is under a “no sail order” from the U.S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which will require it to remain at anchor off the coast of Florida until further notice, the statement said. It was originally scheduled to return to Fort Lauderdale on Wednesday.

T

16 hours ago, Justalone said:

Safe travels  and  enjoy your cruise.👍 

from US. State Deparrment:

Passengers on Cruise Ships

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment.

Well we love cruising!! And my DH's cardio doc told him on Friday that he didn't want him to take a T/A in April. He will be 84 this year...and has coronary artery disease...so he IS in the high risk demographic!! We are very disappointed...but we also take our doctor's advice!! If your chances are increased that you could die if you contract the virus then maybe you would think differently? It could be a VERY bad thing...even if we love cruising!! 

3 hours ago, tocruiseguy said:

They are a victim  of being in the wrong places at the wrong time..... You can not fault them  It could have been any ship any time.     Luck of the draw.

10 hours ago, CanEcosse said:

Canada has now said the same thing "The Public Health Agency of Canada is recommending against “all cruise ship travel” because of the risk of contracting COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus."

Consider this:

“The greatest concern is for older people, particularly those who have underlying conditions like diabetes, heart disease, lung problems and weakened immunity.

“Don’t go to crowded places, think twice before a long plane trip, and for goodness sake don’t go on any cruises,” Fauci said.”

Will it cause ships to cruise half full?

Edited by Justalone