"Cruise with Confidence" fine print and loopholes for X

Cruizen Susan

4 minutes ago, lexmiller said:
  5 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

Bo, maybe I don't understand then.......so, I have 5 cruises booked now, fully paid, that we may cancel due to covid19 and we would received FCC.  In my scenario, I use all of that FCC to book cruises in the fall of 2021.  But then, I, for personal reasons, have to cancel those cruises fall of 2021 cruises.  So, do I or do I not, get that FCC back?  From this discussion, I am assuming that I do not get it back - that I "used" it when I rebooked my 2020 cruises for the fall of 2021 but then cancelled the 2021 cruises for personal reasons.

You would lose all FCC, if cruises are cancelled.  It will be considered "redeemed and used."

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Well I cancelled our March 15 Silhouette sailing.   Sooo disappointed, but at least I thought I was compensated with a full future cruise credit.   Wrong!!    We had a nice FCC from a cruise we took in 2019 where something went wrong in a suite,  so they compensated us 1,100. for the wet, soggy carpet we endured.   So we used the credit as part of our payment for the cruise just cancelled.   Just got an email from the TA that the FCC I used is considered "redeemed and used."    Not good will for a loyal, Elite customer.   Actually it's BS.   I will need to rethink the loyalty,  since we loved our last Princess cruise so much.....

We are in the same situation except with Royal Caribbean. I found about it a few days ago on the Royal boards. Someone was kind enough to paste the fine print. Our cruise is March 22. We haven’t decided yet if we are going. If we cancel, we lose $1600 in FCC. Didn’t seem fair to us either since that FCC didn’t expire until November of 2020. Had I not put it towards this sailing, I would still be able to use it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

We are in the same situation except with Royal Caribbean. I found about it a few days ago on the Royal boards. Someone was kind enough to paste the fine print. Our cruise is March 22. We haven’t decided yet if we are going. If we cancel, we lose $1600 in FCC. Didn’t seem fair to us either since that FCC didn’t expire until November of 2020. Had I not put it towards this sailing, I would still be able to use it. 

So unfair!   Since when are gift CERTIFICATES (FCC) null and void or expired before their time.   There is no retailer in the world that would have this policy that it was "redeemed and used" when it was not.

3 hours ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Well I cancelled our March 15 Silhouette sailing.   Sooo disappointed, but at least I thought I was compensated with a full future cruise credit.   Wrong!!    We had a nice FCC from a cruise we took in 2019 where something went wrong in a suite,  so they compensated us 1,100. for the wet, soggy carpet we endured.   So we used the credit as part of our payment for the cruise just cancelled.   Just got an email from the TA that the FCC I used is considered "redeemed and used."    Not good will for a loyal, Elite customer.   Actually it's BS.   I will need to rethink the loyalty,  since we loved our last Princess cruise so much.....

1 hour ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Thanks, Melissa!    And yes, be cautious using the FCC for a new booking,  as you can see from my experience.   I agree, will definitely be measures taken overtly like cost increases,  and covertly.   Consumer be wary....

Susan, 

Thanks for the heads up!!!  I never would of thought of that one.  We cancelled our April 13 cruise and got FCC.  So we best be sure when we book using the credit!!

Muchas Gracias,

Lori

• Like 1

1 minute ago, loririemer said:

Susan, 

Thanks for the heads up!!!  I never would of thought of that one.  We cancelled our April 13 cruise and got FCC.  So we best be sure when we book using the credit!!

Muchas Gracias,

Lori

Your very welcome, Lori.   Knowledge is power and the more we consumers know, the better.   Best of luck with your new FCC and be cautious!

We cancelled out of the February 29, 2020 Millenium, Singapore to Hong Kong cruise using the Celebrity offer

to get a future cruise credit. We have heard nothing from Celebrity about how much we are getting or even an

acknowledgement of it. Our travel agent says it has been credited to our captains club numbers. And if you call

Celebrity, you stay on hold forever. I logon to my Celebrity account, and in the Captains club section  says 

nothing about the FCC balance, when to use it, etc. Does anyone know how to find the current future cruise balance

for the cancellation of our cruise, without having to call Celebrity ?? 

Wow ...I personally find this appalling.  Sure the FCC is technically 'redeemed' but it isn't 'used'.  Regardless of it technically/legally okay for them to do this ...this stinks!   And I don't understand anyone trying to stand up for or justify Celebrity doing this ... it stinks.

Sorry you weren't made aware to be able to make the decision knowing all information on this.  I have never been in this situation but if it ever presents itself I will definitely learn from your experience and thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

We sail Saturday and paid for 2 cabins. Even though we paid for 2 we will only get FCC for one. My daughter and bf are in the other cabin and neither can cruise the rest of this year or 2021 so basically the FCC would be worthless to us for one of the cabins and we will be out a lot of $$.....we still plan on sailing on Saturday!

I don't know when exactly you canceled your cruise but we are in the same situation and were told it takes about a week before you'll see it applied to your Celebrity account.

Hope that helps.

9 minutes ago, poffles said:

Wow ...I personally find this appalling.  Sure the FCC is technically 'redeemed' but it isn't 'used'.  Regardless of it technically/legally okay for them to do this ...this stinks!   And I don't understand anyone trying to stand up for or justify Celebrity doing this ... it stinks.

Sorry you weren't made aware to be able to make the decision knowing all information on this.  I have never been in this situation but if it ever presents itself I will definitely learn from your experience and thank you for sharing!

Thank you....yes it is appalling.  And also appalling is the few who justify Celebrity's policy and behavior.  Yes, it stinks.   X pretends to have "good will" with the FCC and then pulls a stunt like this.   They had to offer the FCC because every competitor did the same.   

9 minutes ago, edgekid said:

I don't know when exactly you canceled your cruise but we are in the same situation and were told it takes about a week before you'll see it applied to your Celebrity account.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. I will try calling again in a few days...

Celebrity/Royal Caribbean seem to have very generous virus related cancellation offer compared to other lines that I've looked at.

It's similar for Southwest. I've paid for flights for family before... when my sister recently cancelled and booked a different airline due to flight changes she thought I'd get the SW credit back as I paid for it... I knew the credit is in the passenger name just like the FCC is, not the purchaser name.

Edited by twins_to_alaska
  • Thanks 1

I used 250,000.00 points ($2,500.00)  from my RCCL credit card as partial payment for the Edge on 03/29. Does anyone know if they'll give me back those points or even consider it as cash paid when they issue me the FCC? I know they're considered non refundable but I'm curious to know if they're changing the rules since most of this is beyond our control. I've called several times today and can't get through to anyone. 

1 minute ago, ginrom said:

I used 250,000.00 points ($2,500.00)  from my RCCL credit card as partial payment for the Edge on 03/29. Does anyone know if they'll give me back those points or even consider it as cash paid when they issue me the FCC? I know they're considered non refundable but I'm curious to know if they're changing the rules since most of this is beyond our control. I've called several times today and can't get through to anyone. 

Oh my, ginrom.....hoping for the best for you.   Yikes,  under the circumstances.   Please let us know how you make out.

Its kind of like roulette.  You can cancel but you need to be 100% certain of the next cruise.  This prevents people from just spinning the wheel constantly. Which is what would happen.  Which would mess up reservations as people would just keep cancelling and pushing their cruise back until its safe.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Sounds like you have made your decision, hello Princess Cruises...

You cancelled, not X as such used. I Am sure if X cancelled it would have carried forward.

You did use the certificate, to be sure.

For others, it is a question they need to ask before making the same move or change using a previously issued FCC...

bon voyage

We have received, and redeemed, several FCC's from X over the years. Perhaps the OP was not aware that the FCC used for the deposit was non-refundable?

All the FCC's issued to us had the T&C's printed on the front of the certificates. They clearly stated that once redeemed, they could not be transferred or reissued, so I made certain to only apply them to cruises that we definitely were't going to cancel.

Of course these are unusual circumstances, and no one would have anticipated the decision to cancel that so many are facing now.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

We have received, and redeemed, several FCC's from X over the years. Perhaps the OP was not aware that the FCC used for the deposit was non-refundable?

All the FCC's issued to us had the T&C's printed on the front of the certificates. They clearly stated that once redeemed, they could not be transferred or reissued.

This corona situation however is unprecedented.   And myself and many others do not consider this FCC redeemed and used.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

All the FCC's issued to us had the T&C's printed on the front of the certificates. They clearly stated that once redeemed, they could not be transferred or reissued, so I made certain to only apply them to cruises that we definitely were't going to cancel.

Of course these are unusual circumstances, and no one would have anticipated the decision to cancel that so many are facing now.

Thank you C for this important information, as I Am sure it will appear on ALL FCC's.

It is possible that it was not read by many or is not being accepted as part of the T & C's for initial/redemption of it.

bon voyage

1 hour ago, Cruizen Susan said:

This corona situation however is unprecedented.   And myself and many others do not consider this FCC redeemed and used.  

I do understand your position and sympathize with you, yet a 'redemption' is considered as being used and does not mean that one has to have taken a sailing, we only used a FCC Coupon for booking a sailing, unfortunately.

bon voyage

• Like 1

3 hours ago, poffles said:

I agree that it can be considered 'appalling' yet as part of the T&C's it is considered redeemed when submitted for a sailing and not transferable.

X, IMO, has one of the better policies in the business, currently, to accommodate as many as possible - do you not think/believe that they need some protections in place for themselves, too?

As C-Dragons reported, it is printed on the front of the FCC the specific T & C's are for using the FCC. I cannot help but to believe that these were present on the OP's FCC. If not, hopefully they have a photocopy of the front and back to prove otherwise.

bon voyage

So it would seem that if we cancel and take the FCC, we should be sure to take the CFAR insurance on the next cruise.  In that case would we get back the full amount, including the FCC amount?

Just trying to think outside the box.

Thank you for all of the information.  It does impact our decision.
I'm sorry that this affects so many of you.