Future Cruise Certificate used, how to cancel

Ok here are the facts:

Booked symphony of the seas may 16 several months ago, total was 2900. Used fcc for $2100 and paid 800. So paid in full. Now cruise is 600.00 cheaper. Emailed travel agent, to say cruise is now 600 cheaper, can I upgrade to jr suite now since it is cheaper. Or should I just cancel get a refund and rebook (I don't care about waiting for credits to come through). I have 4 cruises booked within the next several months.

The reply was, the cruise line is not giving you any obc, since you are within final payment. And no the cruise line in not giving you complimentary upgrades. Yes you can cancel, but since you used a future cruise cert, you will loose that and only receive 800.00 what you paid for the cruise. (I never asked for complimentary)

So my question is, do I just say ok and forget it, if that is really how it is, or do I escalate. Can't talk to royal since it is through well know travel agent.

Thanks for your help.

Check to see what the cost is now for a Jr Suite and how much more (than the $2900 you already paid) it will cost you to upgrade to that category.  I think everyone knows that RC isn't offering any complimentary upgrades anymore and you don't want to cancel since you've already applied a FCC, as you want to forfeit that dollar value.  I'm not sure why your TA couldn't figure out what you were asking of her! 

Good Luck with your upgrade request.

I hope you are wrong too!!!!

Yes I would pay the difference to transfer to a jr suite or above, maybe they are overwhelmed with people cancelling. 

I love the perks that come with. booking through them, but if you ever need customer service it's the worst. 

12 minutes ago, long4acruise said:

Check to see what the cost is now for a Jr Suite and how much more (than the $2900 you already paid) it will cost you to upgrade to that category.  I think everyone knows that RC isn't offering any complimentary upgrades anymore and you don't want to cancel since you've already applied a FCC, as you want to forfeit that dollar value.  I'm not sure why your TA couldn't figure out what you were asking of her! 

Good Luck with your upgrade request.

Yes I think you just need to clarify to your travel agent that you want to upgrade to a junior suite by paying the difference in price. This is pretty common.

The cancellation FAQ posted on other threads by user @OurUsualBeach does say that if you used FCC and cancel a cruise you forfeit the FCC you used for the canceled cruise. 

34 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

The cancellation FAQ posted on other threads by user @OurUsualBeach does say that if you used FCC and cancel a cruise you forfeit the FCC you used for the canceled cruise. 

Yes, if you cancel your booking you forfeit the FCC and only get the credit for the $800 you paid. I am in the same situation with my March cruise. If I cancel even under the new policy I will lose $1600 in FCC. 

2 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

Yes, if you cancel your booking you forfeit the FCC and only get the credit for the $800 you paid. I am in the same situation with my March cruise. If I cancel even under the new policy I will lose $1600 in FCC. 

I’m in the same situation of losing a $2200 FCC if I cancel.  

Are you going to cancel your cruise or have you already cancelled by contacting RCCL?

I still have about 2 weeks to decide....see no point on waiting on “hold” for 2 hours.  Hoping the company might sort out the operation during that time.

45 minutes ago, Boatsie said:

I’m in the same situation of losing a $2200 FCC if I cancel.  

Are you going to cancel your cruise or have you already cancelled by contacting RCCL?

I still have about 2 weeks to decide....see no point on waiting on “hold” for 2 hours.  Hoping the company might sort out the operation during that time.

We have not made the decision yet. We are scheduled to sail on the 22nd. 

9 hours ago, Boatsie said:

see no point on waiting on “hold” for 2 hours. 

I only waited 10 minutes on hold 5:15 pm eastern time last night. The person I got said she didn't normally man that line but they were pulling all hands on deck to help with the call volume.

Your travel agent is wrong. I called yesterday because my cruise dropped $3000 for my party. I was immediately given the opportunity to upgrade to an Crown Loft or OS complimentary. Maybe your agent doesn't want to sit on hold for an hour and a half to find out? 

Sometimes FCC can be reissued but if it is then it retains the original expiration date.  My agent has been able to remove an FCC from a future cruise and move it to a different future cruise but that was before final payment due date so not the same.  

I've been refused an upgrade after final payment.  I'm not sure what the criteria is but like many things Royal it's inconsistent.  

On 3/10/2020 at 12:47 PM, twangster said:

Sometimes FCC can be reissued but if it is then it retains the original expiration date.  My agent has been able to remove an FCC from a future cruise and move it to a different future cruise but that was before final payment due date so not the same.  

I've been refused an upgrade after final payment.  I'm not sure what the criteria is but like many things Royal it's inconsistent.  

I was told that even though a balcony cabin is cheaper than the price I paid for an OV on my upcoming cruise that I would still have to pay a fee of 100gbp to upgrade as an admin cost.   I pointed out that I could currently cancel and get an FCC to apply to future cruises I've booked, then rebook this one and save money but they were unmoved.  I asked them operator (nicely) to check it twice but did not get anywhere.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:33 AM, ashmo8 said:

Your travel agent is wrong. I called yesterday because my cruise dropped $3000 for my party. I was immediately given the opportunity to upgrade to an Crown Loft or OS complimentary. Maybe your agent doesn't want to sit on hold for an hour and a half to find out? 

Was this after final payment  due date?

You've always been able to reprice to your heart's content outside of final payment date.

Dan

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Was this after final payment  due date?

You've always been able to reprice to your heart's content outside of final payment date.

Dan

UK has different rules than US.