NCL Inflates Cruise Prices

hbboers

33 minutes ago, Mr and Mrs C said:

The TA on the Escape In April went from $1700 Canadian for 2 in a sail away balcony to $4368!

Wow!! The US price Increased a whopping 450% from $300 to $1,323. All for the opportunity to sail to Rome and join in on the chaos over there. Except for a few Haven categories, there isn't a sold out/unavailable stateroom category on that 4000+ passenger ship. That's unlikely to change anytime soon.

• Like 1

I looked at that too.   I actually was shocked that the Encore was $196 US for the 4 night cruise the other day and today it's $888 US
Del Rio is trying his best to get his money so he doesn't have to take a pay cut.
Do they really think Bermuda is going to let it's port stay open as NY/NJ/CT are filled with Corona Virus infected people??

• Like 1

My October cruise that I booked during the Black Friday 30% + 20% is basically 20% over what I paid then - still 30% off of what they say is the base price.  So are they really raising prices or just taking away the discounts and the last-minute cruise deals? 

Yeah that additional 20% off (on top of the 30%) for Latitude members (that actually lasted for a good while in Nov/ Dec 2019)......resulted in significant savings and most things I have been watching have even gone up a little since then PLUS are now missing the 20%.......

Edited by pghflyer

They have shifted a lot of their pricing back to more normal in anticipation of people canceling and rebooking.

Yesterday our balcony cabin was $635pp, today it is $989pp, $10 less than we paid for it and not worth being on hold to get a credit, let alone cancel and rebook.

• Like 2

Anyone notice a huge discrepancy in pricing with NCL website and booking sites? Checked one this morning and showing $517 for inside in Encore while NCL is $888. What gives? Would I be able to rebook with FCC on one of these sites or maybe a travel agent has similar rates?

They're just trying to remove the incentive to cancel/rebook.  I suspect prices will drop again once they have a better idea what inventory will be like.

They should have just prevented you from using the FCC on the same cruise or even during the waiver period.  They they'd be sure to get both revenue streams.

8 hours ago, sbjm53090 said:

Anyone notice a huge discrepancy in pricing with NCL website and booking sites? Checked one this morning and showing $517 for inside in Encore while NCL is $888. What gives? Would I be able to rebook with FCC on one of these sites or maybe a travel agent has similar rates?

If NCL changes their rates, the TA has to update their website as well - they may or may not have an automatic process - or they might just update once a day while the NCL site is dynamic.

I believe cruise lines have given up on the price dropping strategy to attract new bookings since the move hadn't worked out as intended the last few weeks. Cruisers who choose not to go right now because of coronavirus are not going to be swayed by low cruise prices. So why bother.

I noticed this as well while looking for last minute (this week or next).  I kind of thought I was imagining it, guess others noticed as well.  Hey plenty of other cruiselines with great deals that are still great.  Dont marry your cruisline just book with one of the others, products are pretty similar between cruiselines.

7 minutes ago, knight2096 said:

If NCL keeps this disgusting greedy behavior up I will be cruising other lines from now on! They will not get my money again!

Aren't they just trying to make sure the behavior from some passengers who wanted to cancel and then rebook the same cruise for an anticipated lower price weren't able to do it?

I totally agree!  We've had a Canada New England cruise booked since July and the last sale they were quoting 4K pp we paid 2.2K pp can. I check prices at least once a week and never saw the price hit 4K.

And and now they are showing over 4K pp again. All prices I'm quoting are Canadian dollars'

I don't know how they get away with this, I wonder if it has anything   to do with not being US flagged.

I worked in retail my entire life for a large retailer and we were constantly being watched and questioned.

On 3/10/2020 at 7:37 PM, seaman11 said:

boy did i get lucky , i had a cruise on the Sun on hold 5 days 169 pp  and the next day it was $377 pp  , needless to say i made the payment right away at the $169 price. 

Cruise lines are now suspending sailings for 60 days. Do you still feel lucky.  Or did you just purchase a larger FCC.

5 hours ago, jskinsd said:

Cruise lines are now suspending sailings for 60 days. Do you still feel lucky.  Or did you just purchase a larger FCC.

how would it be "larger" if i paid less?  and isnt that princess only. 

Edited by seaman11

On 3/10/2020 at 3:33 PM, Laszlo said:

Pence completely ignored a question by one of the reporters at the press conference today if they would bail out the cruise lines, they are tax exempt   Lol

Its even worse. Look where the cruise ships are registered so they don't have to follow U.S. laws on minimum wages and benefits. Maybe Panama and Bermuda should bail them out.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

Aren't they just trying to make sure the behavior from some passengers who wanted to cancel and then rebook the same cruise for an anticipated lower price weren't able to do it?

This was my thought as well, but I noticed today they have added to the FAQ about the Peace of Mind policy that the credit cannot be used to rebook the same cruise. They figured it out late, but they caught it!