Celebrity is no longer issuing partial refunds after final payment...will Royal follow

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The Celebrity board is full of threads dealing with Celebrity's current policy, and not one of them says this. Moreover, I'm one of many Celebrity customers who have cancelled within the past couple of days under the new Cruise with Confidence policy and have received a combination of cash refund and FCC. It's unfortunate that you didn't choose to post this on the Celebrity board for discussion with posters there who have a very good handle on what Celebrity is doing.

This change in policy was just released this afternoon to TA’s 

I didn't post it over there as I don’t visit those boards and figured there are probably enough people over there with access to the same kind of information that I have.  

Feel free to share on the Celebrity  boards 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It was just released this afternoon to TA’s 

I didn't post it over there as I don’t visit those boards and figured there are probably enough people over there with access to the same kind of information that I have.  

Feel free to share on the Celebrity  boards 

Well, there is going to be a huge number of angry customers who hadn't cancelled right away for a variety of reason, including the difficulty getting through to Celebrity or their TA, who are now going to lose the cash refund. I'm very glad that we didn't wait!

Just checked the cruise with confidence USA web page. it still say 'full amount in penalty' not full amount.

Cheers, heather 🥂

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-with-confidence

here it is...

Essentially, Cruise with Confidence means that guests who cancel their cruise for sailings departing up until 7/31/2020 can do so for for ANY reason as late as 48 hours before sailing and get a 100% Future Cruise Credit (good until 12/31/2021) for the full amount in penalty.

Edited by middlehaitch

45 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

New corporate policy was announced yesterday, anyone who is going on a cruise needs to self quarantine for two weeks after they return from the cruise.  Many companies are now requiring this of their employees, whether they go on a cruise or just travel internationally.

Actually good policy.  Thats good to hear.   We are fortunate We have jobs that we can work anywhere we have internet.  We work on every single cruise.  Not a problem when having a mojito and sitting on balcony with gorgeous blue water to do some work on laptop.

2 hours ago, elephant98 said:

I see that Celebrity is now issuing only future cruise credits for cruises cancelled due to coronavirus.  Is it certain that Celebrity was previously issuing combined refunds (based on time after final payment until cruise) and future cruise cruise credit?  If so, that may influence my decision whether to cancel with Royal now and get a 50% refund/future cruise credit combo while I still can. 

On Sunday Past final payment, I got partial CC cash refund / FCC on 5 different cancelled Celebrity cruises booked through Costco. Dealt with agent who confirmed with celebrity. Got confirmation numbers and info in writing. Apparently folks on this board are communicating the "policy" changed sometime today Tuesday.

56 minutes ago, middlehaitch said:

Just checked the cruise with confidence USA web page. it still say 'full amount in penalty' not full amount.

Cheers, heather 🥂

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-with-confidence

here it is...

Essentially, Cruise with Confidence means that guests who cancel their cruise for sailings departing up until 7/31/2020 can do so for for ANY reason as late as 48 hours before sailing and get a 100% Future Cruise Credit (good until 12/31/2021) for the full amount in penalty.

And its obvious that they don't have the current information.  Royals website doesn't list up to date information either

i

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I've been on hold with Royal for 2 1/2 hours now.  Between 2 call, unfortunately, because the first call they hung up on me after 80 minutes of waiting on hold.  I finally got through to a live person who insists that I can only get 100% FCC and not a 50% refund/50% FCC.   My in-laws managed to get the 50% refund/50% FCC from Royal just a half hour ago.  When I pointed it out to the Royal agent, she insisted the policy had just changed in the last half hour.  So, I balked and demanded to speak to a supervisor.  Back on hold I go.  . . . .

4 minutes ago, elephant98 said:

I've been on hold with Royal for 2 1/2 hours now.  Between 2 call, unfortunately, because the first call they hung up on me after 80 minutes of waiting on hold.  I finally got through to a live person who insists that I can only get 100% FCC and not a 50% refund/50% FCC.   My in-laws managed to get the 50% refund/50% FCC from Royal just a half hour ago.  When I pointed it out to the Royal agent, she insisted the policy had just changed in the last half hour.  So, I balked and demanded to speak to a supervisor.  Back on hold I go.  . . . .

Good luck. Doesn’t sound very promising though. I haven’t made final payment yet and with how quickly they’re changing their programs, I’m very hesitant to do so. Boo...

43 minutes ago, elephant98 said:

I talked to supervisor and got I!

6 minutes ago, elephant98 said:

good for you. I’m back in hold purgatory and don’t know if anyone will ever pick up again. 

They closed an hour ago...good luck.  They may be working overtime.  I got a supervisor right away.

6 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

And probably a class action lawsuit.  I don't see how port fees, prepaid gratuities, etc can legally be "held" for a cancelled cruise.

Cruise isnt Canceled, besides Class Actions against them in past didnt get far. Think I ended up with $28 in FCC in the multi-million settlement. And after booking a Cruise policy can and has been changed before, many times...

Edited by ONECRUISER

16 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Cruise isnt Canceled, besides Class Actions against them in past didnt get far. Think I ended up with $28 in FCC in the multi-million settlement. And after booking a Cruise policy can and has been changed before, many times...

The customer canceled.  NCL is "holding" $$$ for items (port charges, prepaid grats, shore excursions) that are always refundable prior to sailing date.

14 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Celebrity is no longer issuing refunds after final payment.  Everything is issued as a FCC.  There are no longer the 25%, 50% and 75% penalty phases where you would get some refund in cash and the rest as a FCC.

I bet Royal follows...

Standard cancellation policy:

• Refund automatically issued based on standard cancellation policy
    1. 89-75 days prior to sailing = receive 75% refund
    2. 74-61 days prior to sailing = receive 50% refund
    3. 60-31 days prior to sailing = receive 25% refund
    4. 30 – 0 days prior to sailing = no refund

Summary of temporary policy – must call in to cancel and advise Cruise With Confidence

• Eligible sailings: Cruises through July 31, 2020, all destinations
  • Allowed to cancel, even after final payment up until 48 hours prior to sailing
  • Future Cruise Credit issued for 100% of the cruise fare, regardless of when you cancel after final payment made
  • No future cruise credit issues for sailings cancelled within 48 hours of departure, or no shows

Maybe I'm reading this wrong...

But that is a WHOLE lot more generous that RCI, and I would be quite happy if they implemented it.

The current "standard" policy is no refund after final payment at all.  So to get anything back in any form is an improvement.  

The "temporary" policy does not appear to have changed- you can cancel up to 48 hours and get FCC- which works for us.

15 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Maybe I'm reading this wrong...

But that is a WHOLE lot more generous that RCI, and I would be quite happy if they implemented it.

The current "standard" policy is no refund after final payment at all.  So to get anything back in any form is an improvement.  

The "temporary" policy does not appear to have changed- you can cancel up to 48 hours and get FCC- which works for us.

Under the current “standard” cancellation policy you get a refund depending on when you cancel after final payment. Until yesterday evening, Royal was giving a FCC equal to the amount that you would ordinarily forfeit as a penalty. So, depending on when you cancel, you would get a refund according to the standard cancellation policy (deposit, 75%, 50%, 25%, or 0%) and the remainder (which is ordinarily forfeited) as a FCC. Now, it is 100% FCC regardless of where you are within the cancellation window. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Celebrity is no longer issuing refunds after final payment.  Everything is issued as a FCC.  There are no longer the 25%, 50% and 75% penalty phases where you would get some refund in cash and the rest as a FCC.

I bet Royal follows...

Standard cancellation policy:

• Refund automatically issued based on standard cancellation policy
    1. 89-75 days prior to sailing = receive 75% refund
    2. 74-61 days prior to sailing = receive 50% refund
    3. 60-31 days prior to sailing = receive 25% refund
    4. 30 – 0 days prior to sailing = no refund

Summary of temporary policy – must call in to cancel and advise Cruise With Confidence

• Eligible sailings: Cruises through July 31, 2020, all destinations
  • Allowed to cancel, even after final payment up until 48 hours prior to sailing
  • Future Cruise Credit issued for 100% of the cruise fare, regardless of when you cancel after final payment made
  • No future cruise credit issues for sailings cancelled within 48 hours of departure, or no shows

As others have said, I believe you are interpreting this incorrectly.  After Final Payment Date, there is a specific cancellation penalty schedule that you show (Standard policy).  If you want to cancel a cruise and get your money back, you can still cancel your cruise and get a percentage back in cash and forfeit the penalty.  

However during a specified period, you can OPT to cancel for 100% Future Cruise Credit to be used within 1 year. That is remarkably fair! Who wouldn't want to take advantage of that?  But if you decide that the only time in the next year or so that you can or want to cruise is now, and you've decided to completely cancel, then go for it and lose the penalty money.  

No need for a lawsuit just explain you are declining the FCC and want the Standard Cancellation Policy.   😏

Edited by papaflamingo

12 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

New corporate policy was announced yesterday, anyone who is going on a cruise needs to self quarantine for two weeks after they return from the cruise.  Many companies are now requiring this of their employees, whether they go on a cruise or just travel internationally.

I'm lucky enough that I can work from home if need be.  If our workplace instituted this idea, I'd try to take a cruise every 3 weeks.

3 minutes ago, Rewind said:

I'm lucky enough that I can work from home if need be.  If our workplace instituted this idea, I'd try to take a cruise every 3 weeks.

He can work from home too but it is not ideal.  At times he needs to go on a production floor or into a clean room, we have neither of those at home. 😄 

After edit...

So right now, when you cancel you loose $X amount.  And it's gone- ranging from $250 just after final payment to all of it 14 days in advance.  That money is lost.

Now the timing has changed, the percentages have not, but instead of a penalty, you get FCC.  So in that middle area, instead of getting just 50% cash, you get 50% cash AND 50% FCC.

The dates have changed, but giving people a value of the entire amount still seems better than losing some or part of it.  Maybe if you will never cruise again, FCC is not worth it- sure.  But for many, the FCC will be used at some point.

It still means I can cancel any of my upcoming cruises and get to replace them later, when we all think it safer to cruise (if that is my reason).

So while not as good as I initially thought, its still seems better than the original policy that the penalty part is just lost forever.

Edited by alfaeric
had to look up my cancellation policy.