Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

31 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

That is terrible. I feel very sorry for you. I have to say that P&O’s handling of this whole business is nothing short of appalling. I have long thought that P&O needed to replace the directors responsible for IT and shore based customer service, but I am now adding the CEO (or whatever Americanised name they give him) to my list. He is either demonstrating an appalling lack of leadership or his paymasters at Carnival aren’t listening to his feedback. Of course he could be asleep at the wheel 😴

Sadly, this is now the way that P&O do business - and they do it because they get away with it, because their British customer base, by and large, allows them to.  Most people give up, instead of fully pursuing their legal rights, but when they do that P&O give way - sometimes with non-disclosure agreements.

Other companies have more respect for their customers, perhaps.  Or maybe they know that those other customers are quite different from P&O customers, and simply won't put up with being treated that way.

• Like 2

So what would happen if for example you caught the virus, went into quarantine, got over the virus & then had a cruise to go on shortly afterwards? Would you still be allowed onboard if you have had the virus but are now, as far as you are aware, free from it?

36 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sadly, this is now the way that P&O do business - and they do it because they get away with it, because their British customer base, by and large, allows them to.  Most people give up, instead of fully pursuing their legal rights, but when they do that P&O give way - sometimes with non-disclosure agreements.

Other companies have more respect for their customers, perhaps.  Or maybe they know that those other customers are quite different from P&O customers, and simply won't put up with being treated that way.

I find it hard to think of P&O as P&O any more.  It is for me personally just Carnival now.  Profits are the priority imho.

• Like 1

So the debate as now degenerated in how bad P&O is even though nothing yet has happened, it’s seams like no matter what the debate is it’s always comes back to this I hope the admin is actually reading these because now useful information is no being given.

Edited by Bazrat

13 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

So the debate as now degenerated in how bad P&O is even though nothing yet has happened, it’s seams like no matter what the debate is it’s always comes back to this I hope the admin is actually reading these because now useful information is no being given.

The thread is about cancellations.  It's a P&O thread. 

What's being discussed is the way P&O deal with cancellations, the law relating to cancellations, and the way that P&O are avoiding complying with that law - unlike other cruise companies.

Why do you have a problem with that information being shared?

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

What a strange comment! This thread is about customers considering cancelling their cruises over serious concerns about a virus that is very likely to kill over 1% of elderly people who succumb to it - an age group which comprises a larger proportion than average of the P&O customer base. We are also now aware that several other UK based cruise companies have sent very reassuring emails to their customers, understanding that they may wish to change their arrangements and allowing them to do so with no loss of money. Meanwhile, P&O puts their head in the sand and gives answers to questions that can be interpreted in multiple ways, even when asked specifically about what will happen, for example, if someone turns up for their cruise with a temperature, yet testing for Cornovirus takes 2 days! Anyone wishing to cancel or postpone in the weeks leading up to their cruise will lose a fortune which becomes pure profit to P&O.  In my view this is one of the most important and enlightening threads about P&O for some time.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. In all our cruises we have had just two occasions when I have had to pursue P&O for compensation, once due to a Fjords cruise becoming a Norwegian coastal towns cruise and another time when we had several problems with an aft suite on Britannia. Both were a major battle and having rejected their first two offers in both instances, I ended up with £500 and £1,000 respectively and had to sign non-disclosure agreements. The reason that I am happy to ‘disclose’ these non-disclosure agreements is that P&O couldn’t even manage to write a legal document properly. The wording of the agreement actually placed the onus of non disclosure on P&O, not me!

Edited by Selbourne

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

What a strange comment! This thread is about customers considering cancelling their cruises over serious concerns about a virus that is very likely to kill over 1% of elderly people who succumb to it - an age group which comprises a larger proportion than average of the P&O customer base. We are also now aware that several other UK based cruise companies have sent very reassuring emails to their customers, understanding that they may wish to change their arrangements and allowing them to do so with no loss of money. Meanwhile, P&O puts their head in the sand and gives answers to questions that can be interpreted in multiple ways, even when asked specifically about what will happen, for example, if someone turns up for their cruise with a temperature, yet testing for Cornovirus takes 2 days! Anyone wishing to cancel or postpone in the weeks leading up to their cruise will lose a fortune which becomes pure profit to P&O.  In my view this is one of the most important and enlightening threads about P&O for some time.

I totally agree with you but I think....from past experience of dealing with P&O...that this has been their approach for some time now...a very very take it or leave it attitude. When I have " dared to mention" on this forum my thoughts on P&O's " head in sand" approach many times you have to dive for cover from the backlash of diehards . I do understand that P&O is a business and shareholders ....not their paying clientele....take priority but these are exceptional circumstances and need a very forward thinking approach by P&O. At this point that is not being demonstrated....no flexibility at all and if people stand to lose thousands of pounds then that is going to remain in memories for quite some time.

I gave up on P&O some time ago and then had a rethink and decided to try them again but the same old problems with them are still there.

I know MSC is not for everyone but I find that their " customer care"....when needed...is far above and beyond P&O's offering.....which was highlighted to me...big time....when we had the same problem  one with MSC the other with P&O....MSC came out smelling of roses....P&O came out smelling of what you plant roses in.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Hear, hear. Well said.

9 hours ago, Bennybluehat said:

So what would happen if for example you caught the virus, went into quarantine, got over the virus & then had a cruise to go on shortly afterwards? Would you still be allowed onboard if you have had the virus but are now, as far as you are aware, free from it?

Interesting question. It has been reported that 2 patients in China and Japan having 'recovered' from the virus appear to have caught it again. Details are scant but possibly two things could have happened if true. First, you can catch the disease even if you have had it previously. Second, testing can say you are cured but the virus is still lurking in your system and may emerge later, somewhat like herpes virus. Hopefully this does not turn out to be true because it complicates matters somewhat!

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. In all our cruises we have had just two occasions when I have had to pursue P&O for compensation, once due to a Fjords cruise becoming a Norwegian coastal towns cruise and another time when we had several problems with an aft suite on Britannia. Both were a major battle and having rejected their first two offers in both instances, I ended up with £500 and £1,000 respectively and had to sign non-disclosure agreements. The reason that I am happy to ‘disclose’ these non-disclosure agreements is that P in a variety of&O couldn’t even manage to write a legal document properly. The wording of the agreement actually placed the onus of non disclosure on P&O, not me!

Sadly I have to agree you and with Harry, KTS, Janny444 etc, P&O again have failed to come up with reasonable responses to what are very genuine concerns for most of their passengers.  Which is rather odd when a number of other Carnival brands have been on the front foot with their statements of how future cruise passengers will be treated in a variety of scenarios.  So the blame cannot really be levied on Carnival's ownership, it must be solely the responsibility of the P&O management, which does not surprise me because over the last 10 years cruising with them, as well as other lines, the poor standard of management on the ships, compared to other lines, has been my main criticism.

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Not really strange but your dealing with peoples ideas how things should work until the government bans cruising or issues guidelines to the cruise companies they cannot issue guidance to us, than to blame p&o for lack of information is really outstanding considering nobody at this moment in time knows for sure what will happen.

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

Not really strange but your dealing with peoples ideas how things should work until the government bans cruising or issues guidelines to the cruise companies they cannot issue guidance to us, than to blame p&o for lack of information is really outstanding considering nobody at this moment in time knows for sure what will happen.

Except that P&O know perfectly well what the law is, so far as it relates to cancellations caused by their refusing to allow boarding.  They know, because they have access to a legal team, that they are required to make a full refund.

So why not admit that, rather than trying to dump the responsibility onto customers and their insurers?  Just another case, I'm afraid, however you try to defend them, of P&O trying to pull the wool over its customers' eyes.

If you can't trust them to be honest about this, how can you trust them on anything?

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

I agree that it is a very fluid situation and it may well be influenced by future Govt, actions.

However we are aware that many other cruise lines, including some in the Carnival stable  have already made favourable changes to their cancellation clauses, all we are asking is for P&O to fall in line with these other companies  rather than sitting on the fence, possibly awaiting some sort of compensation from the Govt.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I agree that it is a very fluid situation and it may well be influenced by future Govt, actions.

However we are aware that many other cruise lines, including some in the Carnival stable  have already made favourable changes to their cancellation clauses, all we are asking is for P&O to fall in line with these other companies  rather than sitting on the fence, possibly awaiting some sort of compensation from the Govt.

Why should they expect a bail out from the Government? They reap the profits when things go well. They should deal with lows and not expect taxpayers to bail them out. I never agreed with Flybe being bailed out. It looks like that money is going to be lost now.

12 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Why should they expect a bail out from the Government? They reap the profits when things go well. They should deal with lows and not expect taxpayers to bail them out. I never agreed with Flybe being bailed out. It looks like that money is going to be lost now.

I doubt they are.  Just assuming, I think, that their customers will swallow anything they throw at them. For 'government', of course, read 'us' via our taxes.

Well there is now a free spot on the Iona on the 6th June - single balcony cabin as I have just cancelled!!

With the caveat that this was BEFORE Final Payment I think P & O were very generous. They took my concerns very seriously and were understanding once I explained I did not want to be stuck in Southampton unsure how to get back North and I felt their policy of not refunding if I was denied boarding was very unfair.

They have cancelled my cruise and I can use the deposit to rebook any time up to a year from today for any cruise from two years from today.

Not bad in my opinion.

of course I do really feel for people that are past final payment but I don’t think it was too shabby treatment 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pinkpanther52 said:

Well there is now a free spot on the Iona on the 6th June - single balcony cabin as I have just cancelled!!

With the caveat that this was BEFORE Final Payment I think P & O were very generous. They took my concerns very seriously and were understanding once I explained I did not want to be stuck in Southampton unsure how to get back North and I felt their policy of not refunding if I was denied boarding was very unfair.

They have cancelled my cruise and I can use the deposit to rebook any time up to a year from today for any cruise from two years from today.

Not bad in my opinion.

of course I do really feel for people that are past final payment but I don’t think it was too shabby treatment 

It’s just a pity they won’t put this kind of policy out in writing to reassure all passengers. Glad you were successful.

1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

What is P&O?

Sorry Jean bit short.

Time at premium.

Not sure any cruise line would take out insurance in case an epidemic led to a lot of cancellations, but as Harry keeps telling, I could be wrong.

23 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

It’s just a pity they won’t put this kind of policy out in writing to reassure all passengers. Glad you were successful.

Thanks Yes I do think they should make that policy clearer but then again I am a Customer Services Manager and can understand why they are being cautious to avoid being inundated with calls but yet again they might be if they don’t mention that.

Darned if they do and darned if they don’t comes to mind 😌

Edited by pinkpanther52