Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

1 hour ago, Polly1922 said:

Maybe we should all carry disposable latex gloves for when we go to the buffet and touching the tongs.

I’m ahead of you on that Polly. I ordered a pack of 100 from Amazon this morning for just that purpose 😂 

2 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

I’m ahead of you on that Polly. I ordered a pack of 100 from Amazon this morning for just that purpose 😂 

While I can perfectly understand this as a precaution personally I don’t want or go on holiday and have to do something like this.

Holiday are supposed to be for fun and relaxation. Not fear, stress and rubber gloves.

Im not quite sure if the imoji means you are just joking however I am sure that some people will have masks, gloves etc. We saw the masked hordes at the airport recently.

10 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

While I can perfectly understand this as a precaution personally I don’t want or go on holiday and have to do something like this.

Holiday are supposed to be for fun and relaxation. Not fear, stress and rubber gloves.

Im not quite sure if the imoji means you are just joking however I am sure that some people will have masks, gloves etc. We saw the masked hordes at the airport recently.

No I’m not joking. I’ve very vary of the ones in the buffet, so I’ll be putting a glove on when I enter the buffet to use on the tongs, and removing it once seated. I see this as a sensible precaution, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, Les_ldh said:

No I’m not joking. I’ve very vary of the ones in the buffet, so I’ll be putting a glove on when I enter the buffet to use on the tongs, and removing it once seated. I see this as a sensible precaution, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Thanks for clarifying. I think if I go on a cruise  (and that is in the balance) I will just avoid the buffet completely.

I like to keep life simple .

When entering the buffet we pick up a serviette/tissue to handle the tongs,so we never come into contact with them.

As for my rubber gloves they are in my toolbox at home where they belong ,we are on holiday.😉

11 minutes ago, kalos said:

I like to keep life simple .

When entering the buffet we pick up a serviette/tissue to handle the tongs,so we never come into contact with them.

As for my rubber gloves they are in my toolbox at home where they belong ,we are on holiday.😉

I find the supply of serviettes in the buffet can be very variable, sometimes there are lots available and sometimes you have difficulty finding any. I will take my own supply of kitchen towels and carry a few with me.

• Like 1

We just got off Oceana this morning. Didn't notice anyone wearing a mask or rubber gloves either on the ship or ashore, including Tenerife. We were advised not to travel to Costa Adege though and the transfer to Playa de las Americas was cancelled.

Due on Arcadia on 15th May and Azura in late June. The latter one may be problematic with a couple of calls in Italy - will see how things go in next few months.

1 hour ago, Les_ldh said:

Only thing is, the health professionals recommended not doing this. The germs end up on the gloves and then you risk transferring it elsewhere, especially as you remove the gloves. They also need to be disposed of properly to avoid further risk of contamination. You're much better washing your hands (I know easier said than done if you've just served up your lunch and then need to find a bathroom) or using the hand sanitiser.  

17 hours ago, glittergal1 said:

Yes this is my feeling and the impression they are giving, not a good impression. If we hadnt already got cruises booked with P&O their stance on this would not entice me into booking in the future with them 

Royal Caribbean didn't value us as customers when they cancelled our cruise,  together with everyone else who had booked this summer.  They cancelled Independence of the Seas from Southampton this Summer which left us with no holiday!!!!!  Why did they cancel after advertising and taking bookings - because they didn't have enough ships to ferry passengers to their Coco Cay Resort.!!!!   They didn't care about all the British customers  who had already booked and paid deposits.  I wouldn't  mind if it was just one or two sailings but they cancelled the whole summer season!!!!!!!!  I wouldn't mind if they offered an alternative ship.  We were left looking for another cruise but as we had booked early and were restricted to summer holidays our options were limited.  Even with the discount RCI offered us as compensation.  We would have ended up paying more and losing our free drinks package!!!!!! - they wouldn't even honour that!!!

Hopefully as the situation develops P and O will change their mind on their mind on their cancelation policy!

11 minutes ago, Suebiker said:

Hopefully as the situation develops P and O will change their mind on their mind on their cancelation policy!

I think things will become clearer this coming week, and I think P&O will react to the UK virus status if it advances to the next phase of 'delay', and change their policy accordingly. There is a Cobra meeting tomorrow a.m apparently after which industry and tour operators are to be briefed.

Most of the cruise companies who have changed their cancellation policies already have large US operations, and are reacting to the Princess incidents.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jake 26 said:

I think things will become clearer this coming week, and I think P&O will react to the UK virus status if it advances to the next phase of 'delay', and change their policy accordingly. There is a Cobra meeting tomorrow a.m apparently after which industry and tour operators are to be briefed.

Most of the cruise companies who have changed their cancellation policies already have large US operations, and are reacting to the Princess incidents.

Yes I'm sure you are right  - all cruise operators must be going through a nightmare at the moment and I'm sure companies will be assessing the situation and also waiting for government and industry advice.  

3 hours ago, NoFlyGuy said:

We just got off Oceana this morning. Didn't notice anyone wearing a mask or rubber gloves either on the ship or ashore, including Tenerife. We were advised not to travel to Costa Adege though and the transfer to Playa de las Americas was cancelled.

Due on Arcadia on 15th May and Azura in late June. The latter one may be problematic with a couple of calls in Italy - will see how things go in next few months.

We also got off Oceana this morning and the only place we saw anyone with a mask was one lady in Cadiz.  We are also waiting to see how things go because we are booked on Azura 28th June to the Mediterranean.  I hope that if they do decide to change some of the ports due to Coronavirus they will let us cancel with no loss of we don't like the substituted ports.

Edited by Josy1953

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Had to smile. Viral expert on the news just now talking about all the things you can do to minimise exposure to Coronavirus. He ended his advice with “Above all else, don’t go on a cruise”!

I’m fast coming to the conclusion he’s right!

one official in the Trump administration described cruise ships as ‘huge incubators’, with older passengers particularly vulnerable.

Edited by PRINCESSTHE BEST

11 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We also got off Oceana this morning and the only place we saw anyone with a mask was one lady in Cadiz.  We are also waiting to see how things go because we are booked on Azura 28th June to the Mediterranean.  I hope that if they do decide to change some of the ports due to Coronavirus they will let us cancel with no loss of we don't like the substituted ports.

Looks like we are on the same cruise as you again!

As you say, if  the final cruise destinations are so different to what we booked, hopefully we will be able to change with no loss.

We've a fair few booked going forward and are just going to sit it out and watch developments - certainly don't want to cancel anything at this stage.

11 hours ago, davecttr said:

I think very few people have realized the enormous threat of this disease as it is disturbing how many never see or listen to serious news, it is 'boring' What news they consume is lurid headlines in the gutter press. What their mate said down 'spoons'. Celebrity news and sport etc. 

How true that is.  Very few people, comparatively speaking, now get their news from reliable sources, which is one of the reasons we're still getting all this 'It's just flu, load of fuss about nothing' nonsense - just before they raid Tesco and clear it out of toliet rolls.

• Like 1