Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

Just read an update of the latest cancellation policies by the major cruise lines as issued by CC website

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5151/

P&O are clearly glaringly absent from the list but it is interesting to compare the detail of some companies vs others.

Although this forum thread has stated that Carnival has modified their policy the detail suggests that they have done a "bet hedging" exercise. The cancellation and Future Cruise Credits (FCC) only apply to cruises sailing up to the end of May. Also the FCC must be redeemed by 31st March 2021. So if you are booked on anything beyond 31st May then you will still be in a quandary about making that final payment. Also if you can take the FCC you are forced to look at cruises in a fairly tight time window

I have a P&O aurora cruise booked for July and the final payment is due to our TA next week. I have a call in to our contact tomorrow so watch this space.

Conversely I also have a Viking Alaska cruise booked for August. With their revised policy I can cancel now and receive a FCC valid for 24 months.

Edited by arlowood
error

53 minutes ago, wowzz said:

On the other thread regarding Cirona virus, there is a link to an email from Carnival, saying that all Carnival brands will allow you to cancel, the cruise fare then to be used against a future cruise.  Worth reading. 

which other thread? do you have the link?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

For what it's worth, this is now showing on MSC US site https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Cruise-Deals/Cruise-Assurance-Program.aspx

Nothing on the MSC  UK site as yet..... Hopefully something will happen for the UK soon for both lines

Seems as soon as the page appeared, it disappeared again! Wonder what's going on? 

57 minutes ago, kevcharben said:

My cruise in May on the Arcadia to Canaries has plummeted.

Circa £950 for 16 night in a balcony cabin.

I reckon it could be cancelled either due to the virus by the govt, but also a lack of passengers. (Same reason)

I am just going to sit and wait either way having paid in full.

I will go if the cruise goes ahead come what may.

I fully understand others who for whatever reason choose to do otherwise

Out of interest, did you book your cruise when it was first released? Unfortunately we have to, in order to secure an accessible cabin, but the one advantage is that in recent years the launch prices (Select fares) have never been beaten between launch and sail date. Obviously we are in different times now, so I fully expect things to change, but as prices rise sharply in the months and years after launch (they go down as well, but not below launch prices) it is quite normal for those who book beyond launch to see prices that can be substantially cheaper than they paid. As it’s a Canaries cruise, it could well be that you booked at launch, but I’d be very interested to know if current Select prices are below launch Select prices. 

27 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I have sent that to Paul Ludlows communications person.

It will be interesting to see his reply. I can't see how P&O can maintain a policy at odds with the statement of a Carnival director.

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Out of interest, did you book your cruise when it was first released? Unfortunately we have to, in order to secure an accessible cabin, but the one advantage is that in recent years the launch prices (Select fares) have never been beaten between launch and sail date. Obviously we are in different times now, so I fully expect things to change, but as prices rise sharply in the months and years after launch (they go down as well, but not below launch prices) it is quite normal for those who book beyond launch to see prices that can be substantially cheaper than they paid. As it’s a Canaries cruise, it could well be that you booked at launch, but I’d be very interested to know if current Select prices are below launch Select prices. 

I booked early January before it all hit the fan re the virus

I booked a select fare with the parking and on board spend included, for about double what the same select fare is now.

Pays your money takes your chance

I am relaxed about it as I have got some very good deals in the past booking a few days before.

I would want a refund in cash, unless it comes with  other perks that make it worthwhile, I dont want credits for future cruise.

I'll wait it out, but I do still want to go

Our problem will be that we have one cruise booked for October this year and another 2 for 2021, so we would need to cancel one in 2021, lose the deposit and then use the FCC to rebook it, at least that's how I see it?

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Our problem will be that we have one cruise booked for October this year and another 2 for 2021, so we would need to cancel one in 2021, lose the deposit and then use the FCC to rebook it, at least that's how I see it?

We are still going on Ventura next week (Subject to outside forces) However we spoke with P&O last week and cancelled Canaries (June) and Med (November) and used both deposits towards USA/Canada in September instead, very helpful about this. Admittedly slightly more on the total cost. 

28 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Hi Selbourne,

Just checked our next cruise and the prices are still up on what we paid on day one. The difference is about £250 more now for a 16 night cruise and we, this time, have an adapted cabin (balcony). The price is for a standard cabin in the same grade. The saver prices are a lot less but only for 2 of the sub-categories. 

Edited by daiB

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes so why on earth aren't they helpful to people who are fully paid up>

I would guess they are headless chickens at present, overwhelmed and upper management avoiding doing anything until the politicians help with decisions. Hopefully they will make the right move soon.

I have also had to amend a fully paid up cruise about a year ago. We were booked on Oceana to the canaries with less than a month to go and they agreed moving it for us to a similar (again slightly more) package about a month later to help me with work commitments. - £100 admin fee.

25 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Jean...if you do that would the re booked cruise be at the price at launch or the price it is now which could possibly be considerably more money.

I am in a similar situation to you....2 other cruises already booked... but I would book the same cruise we are on this April for the  same cruise next April BUT for the same grade of cabin it would be about £300 pp more....wonder if they would let us book next April's cruise at the same price we have paid for this....think I know the answer 

8 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

I think you are correct. Somewhere at the back of my mind is the thought that I entered into a Contract with P and O.  If for whatever reason, P and O cancel / amend the cruise, they will have broken the Contract and must refund.    

I don’t think it is a matter for my insurance Co.  unless I choose, on my Doctor’s advise to cancel.  Am I being too simplistic?  

Yes they have to refund in full under the  Package Travel Regulations 2018

Edited by staygulf

59 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

I would guess they are headless chickens at present, overwhelmed and upper management avoiding doing anything until the politicians help with decisions. Hopefully they will make the right move soon.

I totally agree and with all cruise companies as well.  Personally would not be surprised if all cruising in the next couple of months or so are cancelled soon so full refunds will have to be given, rather than transfers.  Perhaps flights etc. are not stopped, but that is different to people just pootering about on a ship from port to port spreading and picking up more infection along the way.

Two people who left Braemar recently have tested positive for you know what.  That ship seemed to have got back on track since the spell it spent sailing round in circles a week or so ago, but that will change now.

The goverment has said they will help some business affected, so perhaps UK based cruise lines are hoping for some nice treatment, if only tax breaks.

You are right you would only contact your travel insurance company after receiving a letter from your Doctor advising that it is in the interest of your Health and wellbeing not to travel. With world leading Public Health authorities such as the US CDC issuing such clear advice against travelling on a cruise ship I think most GPs would see this as extremely sensible.

“It has become clear that people with underlying conditions such as heart disease, chronic lung disease, diabetes, and other conditions that cause suppression of immune system particularly among the older adults, are at a high risk of serious disease if infected with the novel coronavirus.

To best protect these vulnerable individuals, we recommend that such individuals avoid situations that increase their risk of acquiring infections. This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships.” CDC 8th March 2020

However this should be your last resort as hopefully P&O’s cancellation policy will come inline with the Carnival operations in the US. Although MSC cruises (based in Italy) have only revised their cancellation policy for guests who have booked through their US site, so it is clear there is an attempt for the European operations to hold off as long as they can. Whether this is due to increased threat of expensive litigation from US customers or because of the very specific advice of the CDC (their Public Health authority) to avoid travelling by cruise ships I’m not sure.

The contract you have entered into with P&O gives them quite a lot of scope to change the itinerary and the ports visited. So as long as they can offer you a cruise on a P&O ship between those dates they can get away with fairly significant changes. I’m not sure if they could get away with moving a Mediterranean cruise to a Northern European cruise but they can happily change a significant number of the ports. Usually if the itinerary changes significantly they will offer a full refund e.g. This happened last year when Oceana had it’s Dubai Autumn/Winter Cruise programme changed to a Southampton based programme as a result of tensions in the Gulf. 

When you read MSC’s advice to the customer it’s very hardline. They are perfectly happy to prevent travel to an individual and the entirety of their party if they record a temperature over a set level (which is not a very high threshold temperature). 36-36.8C is normal if you are 37.5C or higher you simply will lose your cruise. There is no mention of what happens to you and your party if you are prevented from boarding and how/if you get home. You will then have to claim against your own Travel Insurance to get a refund. 

“MSC Cruises has conducted and continues to conduct pre-boarding screening by thermal cameras to exclude persons who may be at risk, and passengers with signs or symptoms of illness such as fever (≥37.5 C°/99.5 F°) or feverishness, chills, cough or difficulty breathing will be denied boarding. The same rules apply to their travel companions and will also result in a denial of boarding.”

Edited by Gazroberts80

It's all very well saying that you would be happy to go.  I wonder if you would say that if you were either quarantined in your cabin for 2 weeks, or sailing around with no ports that will allow you in.  Venice has just stopped all cruise ships.  Others will soon do the same.

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

It's all very well saying that you would be happy to go.  I wonder if you would say that if you were either quarantined in your cabin for 2 weeks, or sailing around with no ports that will allow you in.  Venice has just stopped all cruise ships.  Others will soon do the same.

To be honest it’s not a pleasant thought being trapped in a cabin for two weeks but I refuse to live my life in fear of what might happen.

• Like 4

Taken from twitter

z65AKHWF_reasonably_small.jpg

·
3m

In light of the Coronavirus situation, we are reviewing our current transfer & cancellation policies to offer greater flexibility for our guests. Details will be available within 48 hours. For sailings within 48 hours please call us on 03453 555 111 to discuss your options.
Edited by Bedruthen
  • Like 3