Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

28 minutes ago, davemorton said:

Disneyland Orlando  now shut, was that the one you were/are going to Vamp? 

Confused. Disneyland is California. 
Disney World is Orlando. 

we are going Orlando mid May 

if we can get there. My tickets are also annual pass that expire mid June. 
was £1750! Could lose all that too. 

I know California has shut for two weeks. 

haven’t heard Disney world yet. So far Florida has less people with virus than California. 
I’m also surprised that Paris isn’t shut yet. I expect soon. 

The cruise I can deal with losing if I get my money. Florida not so much as i lose money if it closes. 

kinda wanna go and stick my head in the sand about it all. 

Have just left the Arcadia 52 Day cruise that left on Feb 20 2020 .after 19 days around Australia which was the first itinerary change which we got notification 3 days before departure.In Fremantle we were told the next stop Colombo Has refused entry .and it seemed we would be going all the way to Southampton from Australia about 30days.without any ports that will let us in.On the ship staff told us that P&O would not consider any negotiation on our trip, as far as paying thousands and not getting any ports of call that were on our Itinery. Most of the passengers were English so going home for them is fine.Because of the uncertainty of quarantine in England we came home.

This has left us devastated .

Hero19

14 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Confused. Disneyland is California. 
Disney World is Orlando. 

we are going Orlando mid May 

if we can get there. My tickets are also annual pass that expire mid June. 
was £1750! Could lose all that too. 

I know California has shut for two weeks. 

haven’t heard Disney world yet. So far Florida has less people with virus than California. 
I’m also surprised that Paris isn’t shut yet. I expect soon. 

The cruise I can deal with losing if I get my money. Florida not so much as i lose money if it closes. 

kinda wanna go and stick my head in the sand about it all. 

Sorry, they all blend into one, its Disneyland and California Adventure  that will shut. World seems fine.

16 minutes ago, davemorton said:

Sorry, they all blend into one, its Disneyland and California Adventure  that will shut. World seems fine.

for now. 

seems only a matter of time before it happens. 

I do sound like eeyore now! 
Little black cloud

On 3/12/2020 at 12:19 AM, wowzz said:

A few weeks ago we were in the "we are on the cruise no matter what" faction. However, we have now done a U-turn,  and are cancelling our April cruise, and booking a new cruise with our FCC as far in advance as possible!

Good decision Jean.

I have gone through the same change of mind.  I had my very first aft balcony booked on Iona.  I paid in full just before the spread of the virus was becoming clear.  I was prepared to sit on that balcony for 7 days and avoid human contact!  I just wanted the views.  Now I have to call up the TA and  talk about cancelling.  I will be out of pocket for a couple of flights and one night in a Southampton hotel.  I bought insurance last week.  I need to work out the best time to cancel!  

When I first booked a year ago I had a feeling this ‘perfect cruise’ would never materialise.  

Next worry is do I cancel the annual leave I had booked so I could watch the Olympics.  I have been looking forward to them since I visited Tokyo in 2016.

10 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

I cancelled yesterday too, getting 50% cash back and 50% FCC. I have just received the email from P&O stating they will be in touch with me later. I don't know if it refers to my May cruise that i cancelled yesterday or my cruise later in the year.

How did you manage to get 50% cash back? I thought it was only FCC. 

6 hours ago, staygulf said:

On CNN now it says both Disneyland and Disneyworld have shut 

yes I have seen. 

god know what people can do. Disney and universal are shut but they are still flying so those that already have tickets (or annual pass like me) can’t use them and I dunno about transferring 

so now I have two holidays in the next two months in the toilet. 

think I need chocolate for breakfast 

7 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

for now. 

seems only a matter of time before it happens. 

I do sound like eeyore now! 
Little black cloud

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Disney is shutting down Parks and Cruises from tomorrow for at least 2 weeks. I'll let you know Vampiresse when I hear if they have an end date. My son is due home on Sunday

5 minutes ago, Sheilacarr said:

How did you manage to get 50% cash back? I thought it was only FCC. 

No, this is the policy:

ch notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises    Cancellation charges    New Interim Policy (assuming cruise paid for in full by required date)
From the date of booking until 91 days before departure    Loss of deposit    FCC given to value of deposit
90 to 57 days    50%   Refund 50%. FCC 50% 
56 to 42 days   60%   Refund 40%. FCC 60%
41 to 16 days    75%   Refund 25%. FCC 75%
15 to 6 days    90%   Refund 10%. FCC 90%
Less than 6 days and up until 2 days prior to departure   100%   Refund 0%. FCC 100%
Less than 2 days prior to departure and failure to embark    100%   No refund or FCC
Saver: Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises   Original Cancellation charges (percentage of fare)    New Interim Policy (assuming cruise paid for in full by required date)
From the date of booking until 2 days prior to departure    100%    100% FCC
Less than 2 days prior to departure and failure to embark   100%   No refund or FCC

Full details of this interim transfer policy, including Frequently Asked Questions, can be found here. We will be contacting booked guests with a cruise departing from 1 September onwards shortly.

We hope this helps clearly outline all of your options. To make any changes to your booking please call us on 0344 338 8594(local call charges apply), otherwise, we look forward to welcoming you on board soon. 

8 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

No, this is the policy:

ch notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises    Cancellation charges    New Interim Policy (assuming cruise paid for in full by required date)
From the date of booking until 91 days before departure    Loss of deposit    FCC given to value of deposit
90 to 57 days    50%   Refund 50%. FCC 50% 
56 to 42 days   60%   Refund 40%. FCC 60%
41 to 16 days    75%   Refund 25%. FCC 75%
15 to 6 days    90%   Refund 10%. FCC 90%
Less than 6 days and up until 2 days prior to departure   100%   Refund 0%. FCC 100%
Less than 2 days prior to departure and failure to embark    100%   No refund or FCC
Saver: Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises   Original Cancellation charges (percentage of fare)    New Interim Policy (assuming cruise paid for in full by required date)
From the date of booking until 2 days prior to departure    100%    100% FCC
Less than 2 days prior to departure and failure to embark   100%   No refund or FCC

Full details of this interim transfer policy, including Frequently Asked Questions, can be found here. We will be contacting booked guests with a cruise departing from 1 September onwards shortly.

We hope this helps clearly outline all of your options. To make any changes to your booking please call us on 0344 338 8594(local call charges apply), otherwise, we look forward to welcoming you on board soon. 

33 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I bought insurance last week

Is there any reason why you did not buy insurance when you first booked ? Your insurance cover will be much less because you purchased it so late. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hero1902 said:

Have just left the Arcadia 52 Day cruise that left on Feb 20 2020 .after 19 days around Australia which was the first itinerary change which we got notification 3 days before departure.In Fremantle we were told the next stop Colombo Has refused entry .and it seemed we would be going all the way to Southampton from Australia about 30days.without any ports that will let us in.On the ship staff told us that P&O would not consider any negotiation on our trip, as far as paying thousands and not getting any ports of call that were on our Itinery. Most of the passengers were English so going home for them is fine.Because of the uncertainty of quarantine in England we came home.

This has left us devastated .

Hero19

I can imagine that it was devastating for you, but it sounds like you made a sensible decision to remain in Australia.  The rest of the journey would have been very worrisome for you had you stayed on board.  Maybe when this all calms down, you could reach out to P&O to see if you would at least give a FCC for the portion of the cruise you, understandably, abandoned.  

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Is there any reason why you did not buy insurance when you first booked ? Your insurance cover will be much less because you purchased it so late. 

Your cover will not include this virus as it was a known entity at the time of taking out the insurance.

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I was thinking the same .  You would not buy Ash Cloud insurance after  the volcano had erupted for example.

2 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I’m on the cruise in April 4th to canaries. 
looking at it is there actually any ports left open for this cruise now? Spain and Portugal have closed the ports. I’m assuming that spain includes canaries 

I’m on the same itinerary in June and have resigned myself to it being cancelled as no ports are open. I think it’s time to accept that not many people will be cruising in (at least) the next few months.

16 minutes ago, kalos said:

I was thinking the same .  You would not buy Ash Cloud insurance after  the volcano had erupted for example.

Can that be right? If I don’t have flu right now but buy insurance for a future holiday am I not covered if I then get flu just before the holiday? Flu has been around for thousands of years. 

Edited by staygulf

3 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Can that be right? If I don’t have flu right now but buy insurance for a future holiday am I not covered if I then get flu just before the holiday? Flu has been around for thousands of years. 

No - as you intimate, it's not right. It's an oversimplification. What counts, as always, is the wording of the actual policy purchased, and any additional terms applied by the insurer at that time.

16 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I’m on the cruise in April 4th to canaries. 
looking at it is there actually any ports left open for this cruise now? Spain and Portugal have closed the ports. I’m assuming that spain includes canaries 

Yes it does. Marella has a ship based in Tenerife/Gran Canary with today as turn around day and people were getting emails late last night saying the cruises are cancelled for 2 weeks. IMO the whole summer season will be cancelled everywhere.

9 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Yes if you read the poster has only just bought the insurance after booking the holiday almost a year ago.

Horse before the cart really .

Flu has been around for thousands of years , but I think you would have had a problem getting Travel Insurance way back then 😉

Hi....of course we are all " devastated" about the possible suspension of our cruises but for most of us we can re plan when the situation has improved and at the end of the day they are holidays/adventures...replaceable.

I heard something on the radio ....LBC....last night that made me think how fortunate I am to be in the position to cruise or not to cruise...hard decision to possibly lose money but a London taxi cab driver  told us about his situation....he has a son aged 15 who had cancer at the age of 9....recovered from that but it left his son with a weakened heart....what should he do....he said "I can't put my boy at risk". Easy answer is stay at home but he probably is on zero contract hours so no income which could go on for weeks/months. He also had had a couple of guys in the back who were talking between themselves and he heard them say that they were going to a conference but as soon as it would be over they would go home and self isolate because they weren't feeling well....he stopped the cab and told them to get out..

Now for that taxi driver and probably many more they are the ones who have the hard decisions to make.

Chunner over 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

yes I have seen. 

god know what people can do. Disney and universal are shut but they are still flying so those that already have tickets (or annual pass like me) can’t use them and I dunno about transferring 

so now I have two holidays in the next two months in the toilet. 

think I need chocolate for breakfast 

Hope the situation becomes clearer for you soon, and hope that Insurance will cover your losses if you can't go.

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

Yes if you read the poster has only just bought the insurance after booking the holiday almost a year ago.

Horse before the cart really .

Flu has been around for thousands of years , but I think you would have had a problem getting Travel Insurance way back then 😉

I think you’re missing the point. Most insurance policies would exclude you from cover for a disease you had when taking out the insurance. They would not exclude you from known diseases that you do not have at the time of taking out the insurance.