Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

As long as you book before 31st December 2021 you can take a cruise up to March 2022. Yesterday I was still going on April 12th. Now I'm waiting to see if P and O cancel first, then I'll get a refund. If they don't I may still cancel 3 days before as Madeira is not out and the Canaries will no doubt follow. Just glad I flew back from Fuerteventura at the weekend!

3 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Sky News just reported that Princess Cruises has suspended all cruises for the next 60 days for all 18(?) ships.

That would work better for me  if P&O followed suit. Not holding my breath because Princess's cancellation/amendment was more flexible than what P&O are doing....in as much as that you could transfer your FCC to any new booking OR to an existing booking. P&O  may not cancel all cruise sailings especially as most of the fleet depart Southampton so  no flight involved....

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Janny, get in touch and ask them if you can have extra time in 2022 for the FCC.  paul.ludlow@pocruises.com

Thank you Jean for the info...will do that if there are no further developments.....cruising later in 2022....April even....would work better for us....in fact we could then wait until new " brochure" is launched later this year

15 minutes ago, janny444 said:

That would work better for me  if P&O followed suit. Not holding my breath because Princess's cancellation/amendment was more flexible than what P&O are doing....in as much as that you could transfer your FCC to any new booking OR to an existing booking. P&O  may not cancel all cruise sailings especially as most of the fleet depart Southampton so  no flight involved....

I do not think there is any doubt that P&O will suspend all cruises. Along with all other lines. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Sky News just reported that Princess Cruises has suspended all cruises for the next 60 days for all 18(?) ships.

All cruises leaving American  ports will have to do the same now I imaginewith all European flight into America being cancelled. As a matter of interest is just the mainland? I'm assuming it doesn't include the Caribbean Islands.

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47

1 hour ago, daiB said:

I do not think there is any doubt that P&O will suspend all cruises. Along with all other lines. 

Dai, I know you are generally clued up. Is the above based on opinion only or have you heard something from your contacts (understand perfectly if you don’t want to say even if it is)

Just tried to get in to my Manager for the A006 cruise due next week logged in ok but can only get this screen, don't know if it's the usual  P&O web gremlin or not but the depature date is now showing 0 days instead of 8

image.thumb.png.eb980d55c6b795a1a95a8c3ed9c9c896.png

1 hour ago, daiB said:

I agree, Dai.

With ports increasingly refusing to accept cruise ships even if no-one onboard is infected, and ships being being placed in quarantine if a single passenger or crew member tests positive, cruising will soon become totally impracticable. I suspect that sooner or later all lines will suspend operations until the pandemic is over and that sadly, some will go out of business.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

All cruises leaving American  ports will have to do the same now I imaginewith all European flight into America being cancelled. As a matter of interest is just the mainland? I'm assuming it doesn't include the Caribbean Islands.

Avril 

A lot of the Caribbean islands are independent.

San Juan Puerto Rico is part of the US.

The one thing that Princess and Viking have in common is that they have had Coronavirus  on their ships. P&O hasn't so might not feel stopping their cruises. Princess had no choice after Viking acted so quickly.

Mean while it has just been announced thatover 70s with underlying health issues in the Uk are now advised not to go on cruises

Cathy

26 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

P&O hasn't so might not feel stopping their cruises.

I think the issue will be that within a short while P&O will have no option but to suspend operations, as there will be no ports that will allow any cruuse ship to dock.

The government advice is probably the final nail in the coffin for the cruise industry for this year. If you are over 70, and cruise despite government advice, I would imagine that your insurance policy would be nul and void.

• Like 1

Yes agree.  We took a view and have cancelled.  We will get back 40% and the rest as a cruise credit.  My TA told me he had heard that P&O were considering allowing it to be used on an already booked cruise.  We will see.   We could have waited and got the whole lot back, but I am comfortable with what we did.

59 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Mean while it has just been announced thatover 70s with underlying health issues in the Uk are now advised not to go on cruises

Cathy

The statement was 'over 70 OR with underlying health issues'

12 minutes ago, staygulf said:

He actually said over 70 with underlying conditions. But the official transcript on the Gov website says OR

Checked the Gov site, the advice clarifies matters by stating 70 and over. For those with diabetes it says diabetes requiring insulin or oral hypoglycaemic drugs. That confused me but hypoglycaemic drugs include Metformin for type 2 diabetes.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Checked the Gov site, the advice clarifies matters by stating 70 and over. For those with diabetes it says diabetes requiring insulin or oral hypoglycaemic drugs. That confused me but hypoglycaemic drugs include Metformin for type 2 diabetes.

image.png