Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

8 hours ago, happy v said:

But only for a while. Then it will get back to normal.

But "a while " could quite easily be 6 months. That would basically mean that the entire Mediterranean summer cruising season would be a write off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But "a while " could quite easily be 6 months. That would basically mean that the entire Mediterranean summer cruising season would be a write off.

I agree.  I have a Celebrity Med cruise booked at the end of August but with Trump's (temporary) ban on flights from mainland Europe, I wonder if the American-based cruise companies will even send their ships over to Europe for the summer season.

18 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi....when you rebooked your cruise was there a vast price difference. Reason why I am asking is our cruise that we go on next month....April....we are going to cancel and I looked at booking same cruise....same month April 2021...same cabin grade But it would cost an extra £300pp...£600 extra to book same cruise next year.

Yes, I suppose there was really - about £200 each but i booked the first one at launch so expected a similar cruise (destination, number of nights and cabin grade) to be more expensive so many months out of its launch date.  As the first booking was a very good price, the extra now is still within a range I thought acceptable so we went ahead. 

Additionally, so many cancellations mean people are looking to transfer bookings now,  also when the situation starts getting back to normal people will want to book new cruises.  This will cause a big demand and with less availability, further increases due to fluid pricing are almost certainly going to be the order of the day. 

All in all, we decided to commit - we have two cancelled cruises within the next four months so have a little holiday pot to go at!  😁  The extra seemed a relatively ok price to pay to resolve the situation in the short term and have something to look forward to when hopefully we can all resume our cruises without these health concerns. 

Good luck - I hope you can find something acceptable. 

Edited by kruzseeka

how long is a piece of string? If say 1 million people in the UK catch the virus that leaves 66 million who have not caught it and have no immunity. When will restrictions be lifted if there is a chance that the disease could flare up again due to people travelling.

I’m sitting tight at the moment...due to travel mid April to Spain and Portugal so still have time to make a decision . I am guessing that if things follow the predicted path, my cruise will be cancelled and I will get my money back in cash rather than an FCC that I might struggle to use as already got cruises booked for later this year and 2021. 

12 minutes ago, Mysticalmother said:

I’m sitting tight at the moment...due to travel mid April to Spain and Portugal so still have time to make a decision . I am guessing that if things follow the predicted path, my cruise will be cancelled and I will get my money back in cash rather than an FCC that I might struggle to use as already got cruises booked for later this year and 2021. 

I am of the same mind. I'm going to wait until 7 or 8 days before the cruise before cancelling.  That way I will get 25% of my fare back,  but so much is happening so quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if all cruising wasn't stopped by the end of March. In that case, I would get a full refund.

1 hour ago, janny444 said:

Hi....when you rebooked your cruise was there a vast price difference. Reason why I am asking is our cruise that we go on next month....April....we are going to cancel and I looked at booking same cruise....same month April 2021...same cabin grade But it would cost an extra £300pp...£600 extra to book same cruise next year and that is for a 7 night cruise

Sorry janny444 I missed in your post that you were looking at a 7 night cruise.  Yes that's quite a jump in price!  It may be Easter too so again more pressure on availability.  Ours is a 16 night cruise so our increase is much more reasonable.

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I am of the same mind. I'm going to wait until 7 or 8 days before the cruise before cancelling.  That way I will get 25% of my fare back,  but so much is happening so quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if all cruising wasn't stopped by the end of March. In that case, I would get a full refund.

that was my thinking too since it will be the same we get back today as it would be 7 days prior and seems like a lot can happen in not a lot of days. 

it’s not just the cruise I am worried about now but also my Florida holiday 

Just hope I don’t lose thousands

We are due on the Oceana at beginning of May departing from Malta for a 3 week cruise, with ports in Italy closed to Cruise ships, restrictions placed by Maltese government on travel to 4 EU countries, one of our ports of call is VilleFranche. Greek Government maybe closing historical sites & museums, which reduces what is in offer in terms of excursions. As seen in Malta in the last week locals objecting to the MSC Opera docking over mistaken belief it had the virus amongst its passengers. Given the port closures elsewhere I see pressure being put on governments both local & national by locals population to do the same. The question is does this materially change the cruise and will P&O cancel the cruises out of Malta in 2020. 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Probably a lot in that, and quite possibly the reason for the change of heart by P&O. Better for them to keep the bookings for 2021 than lose them altogether,  and the cash, if they have to refund. That's looking increasingly likely as each day goes by, particularly bearing in mind the impact of the Package Travel Regs.

I have cancelled and will get back 40%.  Will take the FCC.  Feel quite relieved.  Have also moved the Parking4Cruises booking.

I am sure most of the ports on my 19 nighter will be cancelled, so couldn't see that it would be much of a cruise.  Yes, we could have waited, but it's as broad as it's long.

Edited by jeanlyon

7 minutes ago, brillo said:

I think that the Cruise companies will shortly start cancelling cruises and laying up ships for the foreseeable future.

A travel person being interviewed on TV this morning said she had heard a rumour to this effect. There are lots of rumours but interesting that someone would actually verbalise a rumour on Sky News.

The US air travel ban is probably the final nail in coffin for  cruises over the next month or so. 

Strange times.

9 minutes ago, brillo said:

I think that the Cruise companies will shortly start cancelling cruises and laying up ships for the foreseeable future.

Yep - Viking has already cancelled all ocean and river cruises up til the end of April. Giving 125% FCC to all affected passengers or a full refund if they choose. The FCC is valid for 24 months.

Since Viking rely very much on US citizens for their cruises then I can't see that they could have done anything else. Also Bergen is their home port for a lot of their European cruises and Bergen has now banned passengers from disembarking ( as has Stavanger)

My guess is that they are going to be the first domino in a cascade as more US based cruise companies are forced to follow suit in the short term

1 hour ago, kruzseeka said:

Sorry janny444 I missed in your post that you were looking at a 7 night cruise.  Yes that's quite a jump in price!  It may be Easter too so again more pressure on availability.  Ours is a 16 night cruise so our increase is much more reasonable.

Hi....just to clarify that the cruise I wanted to change to in April 2021 isn't in the Easter period at all. I did ask P&O if I could  change cruise until next year at the price paid for this year ....think you can guess the answer. I would have paid a bit more but not £600 more for 7 nights and with less OBC too.

Janny, can you not just cancel and let them hold the FCC on your account.  You don't need to transfer.  It sits on your account and you can use it whenever you want up to Dec 2021

All explained to me yesterday by nice lady who rang me.

Edited by jeanlyon

You have to laugh.  I cancelled the cruise yesterday and today get my Brochure and luggage labels

Just looking at cruises leaving from Southampton at the moment.  The prices are so low £599 for 11 nights.😞

Edited by jeanlyon

11 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Janny, can you not just cancel and let them hold the FCC on your account.  You don't need to transfer.  It sits on your account and you can use it whenever you want up to Dec 2021

All explained to me yesterday by nice lady who rang me.

Hi Jean....yes we can but we already have 2 cruises booked for next year which fall within our annual holiday budget so to be paying any extra money isn't really feasible for us.....a bit extra yes....but not £600 extra. Another alternative is for us to cancel a cruise for next year then re-book same cruise but to do that is an extra £400 or so....not really sure which is the right way forward for us at the moment.