A suggestion on communication from Azamara during this uncomfortable time for everyone

excitedofharpenden

14 minutes ago, Cahpek said:

There is something I am not very clear about with regards to your insurance.

1) If you are British, andover 70 and if you decide to cancel your cruise following the advice of the British Govt/FCO , what happens when Azamara would still hold on to your money and it only offersyou with a FCC but NOT really compensating a full cash refund (which is what its policy is at the moment, am I correct)? Would your insurance pay you in cash as compensation?

2) If your husband (or wife) is under 70 but traveling with you, if both of you cancel the cruise (he cannot travel alone in a cabin booked for two!) , will your insurance compensation cover your partner as well? 

Travel insurance is straight forward. 

1) If you have experienced an insurable event (FCO advice) you are covered. Your claim will be made against your insured not Azamara. 

2) If one party has an event which is covered by the insurance both parties should be covered. 

It is really important to read your policy details. 

Jim

8 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

As I understand it, our insurers would consider the FCC as equivalent to a cash refund. I think all we would be able to claim is any costs not covered by Azamara, for example non refundable flights, transfers, car parking etc.

Thanks for answering me so promptly.

I also wonder if we take the FCC from Azamara, and supposing Azamara is forced to close down (hope it won't but nothing seems to be certain in this climate)  before we could use our FCC, I wonder what the insurance would do? I read somewhere that Insurance companies view is that if you book your cruise with FCC credits , and if you fail to get that cruise for whatever reason, they will not compensate you. It is unlike paying cash  to purchase a cruise which they may consider compensating you.  I wonder if you have asked your insurance company about that?

I will certainly be going to ask mine.

Edited by Cahpek

8 minutes ago, Cahpek said:

I also wonder if we take the FCC from Azamara, and supposing Azamara is forced to close down (hope it won't but nothing seems to be certain in this climate)  before we could use our FCC, I wonder what the insurance would do? I read somewhere that Insurance companies view is that if you book your cruise with FCC credits , and if you fail to get that cruise for whatever reason, they will not compensate you. It is unlike paying cash  to purchase a cruise which they may consider compensating you.  I wonder if you have asked your insurance company about that?

I haven’t asked them - maybe I should, but probably not right now. It took me long enough to get through to them today. I guess I’ll ask them if/when I get to the point of cancellation by me or by Azamara.

18 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

As I understand it, our insurers would consider the FCC as equivalent to a cash refund. I think all we would be able to claim is any costs not covered by Azamara, for example non refundable flights, transfers, car parking etc.

Well, that’s something anyway. My hotel rooms are all refundable, but I don’t think my Choice Air flights are.

11 minutes ago, Cahpek said:

My advice would be to not accept any compensation from Azamara before speaking to your insurers. 

15 minutes ago, Cahpek said:

At the rate their stock is falling, anything is possible. Making a move like Viking (and others) I think would go a long way toward restoring consumer confidence - and perhaps their stockholders.

One update but irrelevant to Azamara's current sailings as it seems to refer only to the US

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/82/royal-caribbean-announces-voluntary-suspension-of-cruising/?fbclid=IwAR190u1K4FDTGgUG77Y7WBiEae-aai0dqBVB3tFzhnZ06lowKI7AKQiizhk

Edited by uktog

1 minute ago, uktog said:

I posted in the coronavirus thread Pursuit is supposed to sail from Miami on 4/5.  It leaves Lima for the TA on 3/23, then the next cruise is 4/5.

4 minutes ago, hiccups said:

I posted in the coronavirus thread Pursuit is supposed to sail from Miami on 4/5.  It leaves Lima for the TA on 3/23, then the next cruise is 4/5.

Apologies I had miscounted on that one

Its weird if they are doing announcements they do not prime their social media feeders to get consistent announcements out to each channel - or is there still no Azamara announcements yet?

1 minute ago, uktog said:

Apologies I had miscounted on that one

No apologies necessary!  I certainly didn't think it would impact Azamara until I did a search on the website.  Plus, I haven't seen the notice on their website yet.  Thinking they might just contact those booked.

I'm curious about the TA, though.  Will disembarking in Miami count as a US sailing?  Hopefully someone booked will keep us updated.

9 minutes ago, uktog said:

One update but irrelevant to Azamara's current sailings as it seems to refer only to the US

Is that it? I think they forget that we are not all in the cruising in the USA. Have they forgotten they still have cruises in Asia and Europe that need to be dealt with. We have literally no ports to go to but they are still selling this cruise. I could go on the internet and book it today, it’s utterly  ridiculous bordering on criminal to sell something that no longer exists. 

• Like 4

NCLH has announced the cancellation of all cruises for its 28 ships, including Oceania and Regent, through April 11th.  See https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/03/12/princess-viking-cruise-lines-halt-all-sailings-temporarily-response-coronavirus/

So why hasn't Azamara done the same?  The Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. cancellation of only ships from U.S. ports is ridiculous.  They say that international cruises will operate as scheduled.  Wow, RCCL sure has it wrong!  Come on guys, cancel the March 28th Quest sailing as it will now miss Dubai, Oman, Israel, and I saw on the news that Alexandria is closing its port to cruise ships.  (I haven't found a link for that yet.)  Luxor is detaining  and testing visitors, so it is too risky to get off the ship there even if it does dock.  That leaves only Jordan, which is sure to close the port in Aqaba very soon.  I cannot believe that RCCL cancelled the Celebrtiy Constellation cruise for April 1st with virtually the same itinerary, but has not cancelled the Azamara March 28th cruise.  I am getting madder every minute they delay.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I can’t imagine anyone signing it here either, when the advice is for older people and especially those with preexisting conditions NOT to cruise. When we purchased our cruise, we bought travel insurance ( from the TA) with a preexisting condition waiver. Really hoping that would qualify for a refund 

Please read your "small print"!! I also bought the policy that covers preexisting conditions...but there is a "bullet" point" that says ...nothing covers a pandemic!!! 😞

2 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

I think it should be starship enterprise as they will need to beam us onboard 😂

More like Avenue 5 I think. Any truth to the rumour that Larry is next season’s replacement for Hugh Laurie?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Please read your "small print"!! I also bought the policy that covers preexisting conditions...but there is a "bullet" point" that says ...nothing covers a pandemic!!! 😞

Probably not a Zombie apocalypse either!

March 13, 2020

Dear Azamara Guest,

As you know, the President of the United States declared a national emergency today as it relates to COVID- 19. Given that declaration, the cruise industry has voluntarily agreed not to allow any departure from the United States, beginning on March 14, 2020 until April 11, 2020.

Given that Azamara ships are largely in global destinations, at the moment, this only impacts one of our sailings – Azamara Pursuit® out of Miami on April 5th. We are currently evaluating alternative deployment options and will have more information to share on Monday, March 16th. Guests ending their March 23rdvoyage from Lima to Miami, are allowed to disembark on April 5th as planned.

At this point, the President’s announcement has caused minor changes to our existing deployment schedule. We will continue to communicate directly with impacted guests and travel advisors as this progresses. Please know that we’re doing everything possible to communicate effectively given how fluid the situation is. I highly encourage you to visit our website, which is constantly being updated with the latest travel alerts and regulations at https://www.azamara.com/travel-advisory.

Our business and passion are to provide great vacations and create unforgettable memories. Thank you for your support as we navigate through this.

Sincerely,

Larry Pimentel
President and CEO, AZAMARA®

Wow — I appreciate you posting that and I am not at all blaming the messenger— but that seems incredibly insufficient to the realities of the situation and scale of the problem.  I am shocked Azamara can’t do better than that (the way most other cruises companies have). 

• Like 6

At last, communication

BUT

Too little, too late I am afraid. 
Unbelievable they thought they could run Journey 11 April until today.....

Unbelievable they believe Europe can still run......

• Like 3