Refund timing?

dlesh77

We canceled our August cruise to Alaska way back on March 12 through our travel agent. We were told it would be 6-8 weeks, but it's now been 2.5 months, and still nothing. I contacted HAL myself a couple weeks ago and they just said "It's being processed." I'm starting to not believe them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mghmld said:

We canceled our August cruise to Alaska way back on March 12 through our travel agent. We were told it would be 6-8 weeks, but it's now been 2.5 months, and still nothing. I contacted HAL myself a couple weeks ago and they just said "It's being processed." I'm starting to not believe them.

We cancelled our October HAL South America cruise back in late March and were told our deposit refund may "take a while."  Like you, we have received nothing yet.  I'm also waiting on refunds for cancelled fully paid spring cruises from various U.K. cruise lines, which started out saying 60 days but are now saying 120 days for refunds, except for Fred Olsen which refunded in 30 days so good on them.

I'm posting from Cambridge England, so don't know if what I've found out will apply to bookings made outside Uk.

I was told by HAL Southampton office that there are two teams working on refunds.  One based in Seattle which is dealing with HAL customers who have been proactive and cancelled their cruise before sailing date, and then there is another team based at a dedicated call centre ( They did not say where ) who are dealing with FCC and refunds relating to cruise cancelled by HAL.  You must speak to the right one but they don't tell you how to communicate with them !  

As I had booked via a  local TA they couldn't  ( or wouldn't ) I don't know which,  give me any more information and had to speak to my TA.   So I did to be told by the TA they couldn't find out anymore information that what I have.  So again it depends on what specific category you are being placed in by HAL.

In England we called this being ' Fobbed off ' or given ' The run around ' or Bull***T . No one will make a commitment, but the feeling in UK is that customers are being kept in the dark. 

I am now still waiting for my refund after 80 days of me notifying HAL of my wish to cancel.

You may be interested to know here we have a government  body called the Competition Markets Authority which enforces anti competitive practices over all industries, not just cruise lines.  People are being encouraged to lobby this body as there is some suspicion that many cruise travel companies and agents are working together to delay the payment of refunds or at worst avoid paying them and issuing worthless PCC or credit notes.

Hope this information may help anyone

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mghmld said:

Despite earlier optimism, I'm starting to lose hope and not at all inclined to give any cruise line any more of my money, no matter how sweet the deal.  

I need to contact HAL as well to find out if we're in the refund category or FCC since their selection process gave us no email confirmation or anything at all.

38 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Despite earlier optimism, I'm starting to lose hope and not at all inclined to give any cruise line any more of my money, no matter how sweet the deal.  

I need to contact HAL as well to find out if we're in the refund category or FCC since their selection process gave us no email confirmation or anything at all.

Wanted to add that I went through the link to select a refund vs. the FCC twice since I got nothing in the way of a response the first time.  Not sure if this will accomplish anything, but I at least got some satisfaction from it.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Wanted to add that I went through the link to select a refund vs. the FCC twice since I got nothing in the way of a response the first time.  Not sure if this will accomplish anything, but I at least got some satisfaction from it.  

Same here, but when I resubmitted, it said the form had already been submitted for this confirmation number. If you didn't get that, then I'm guessing it didn't go through the first time.

26 minutes ago, strickerj said:

Same here, but when I resubmitted, it said the form had already been submitted for this confirmation number. If you didn't get that, then I'm guessing it didn't go through the first time.

No I didn't get that it had already been submitted, now I will wait a few days and then try it a 3rd time, at least in your getting that you had some idea they had received it.  I was skeptical the first time I did it, it seemed like a process that could set me up for a "we never received a refund request" scenario.  Ugh!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, strickerj said:

I did this, too, and got the "already been submitted message."  That is the only way I know HAL got it for my HAL cancelled March 18 cruise.  When HAL cancelled my July 11 Alaska cruise I did get an email confirmation from HAL.

• Like 1

GOOD NEWS - 

Today I received conditional credit for 4 HA charges from my cc co Chase almost $9000. It took approx 6 weeks and several submittals to the bank as they were on limited staff some working from home. Hopefully that ends this story. Good luck to all. Stay well.

We cancelled our March 18 HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam the weekend before and then it was cancelled by HAL.  We had booked through an outside vendor and have received no refund.  Anyone on that cruise received a refund?

2 minutes ago, gigianne said:

We are at the 82nd day from our cancellation and still nothing (not even a HAL generated e.  I am surprised at myself for having so much patience.😎🍾

😞 On the bright side - You are certainly a fine example of patience for me 😉 

A bit of good news for those awaiting a refund.  On March 30, I cancelled our Sep 27th cruise.  Today, I called HAL to get an update and was pleasantly surprised to learn that my $3500 refund was processed on Wed May 27 and should appear on my credit card within a few days.

14 minutes ago, lvdave said:

A bit of good news for those awaiting a refund.  On March 30, I cancelled our Sep 27th cruise.  Today, I called HAL to get an update and was pleasantly surprised to learn that my $3500 refund was processed on Wed May 27 and should appear on my credit card within a few days.

You said you called HAL.  Was your cruise booked directly with HAL or was there a TA involved?  We have had our TA call several times and they still tell them not in process yet.  We cancelled our two June cruises on March 17 through the big box store, both were paid in full, too. All dates are before yours.   I'm wondering if we can deal directly with HAL when we call or have to still go through the TA.  

WE FINALLY MADE IT!!  REFUND RETURNED.

I have read on Cruise Critic ,for months daily posts, about refunds etc so I wanted to take a few minutes and try to HELP others understand about our refund and how yours may play into the equation.

We had a 28 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise booked and paid for.  Cruise was going to be on the Oosterdam for March 21, 2020 roundtrip San Diego.  March 7, 2020 was the beginning of the cruise cancellations and Pandemic.  HAL officially cancelled our cruise on March 14, 2020.  We filled out paperwork on BOTH HAL’s website and the big box store’s website on March 17th requesting 100% reimbursement of monies paid.  We never disputed with the credit card company.  We never called HAL until a few days ago, and because we were booking another cruise for 2021.  Timeline is as follows:

74 days waiting from when HAL cancelled our particular cruise 3-14 to 5-26-20

71 days waiting from when WE officially cancelled the cruise     3-17 to 5-26-20

67 days from the actual cruise date to when booking processed to credit card  3-21 to 5-26-20

3 days currently waiting now (May 29th) for monies to show up on credit card with Cap One.  They are always fast posting. Should see within a few more days.

In addition, on March 14, just prior to us cancelling the cruise  I had gone on line to my HAL account and cancelled shore excursions and other extras that we had pre-paid and got the money back to credit card next day. We had also paid for medical/trip insurance thru a private company, I called them as well in early March, and immediately got our insurance premium returned……pleasantly surprised.

We live in San Diego so had no flights needed, so reimbursement not an issue.

Hope this helps others in their wait for refund or FCC.  IT IS COMING and we will be cruising next year!!  14 day Alaska and 35 day Voyage of Vikings 2021.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

You said you called HAL.  Was your cruise booked directly with HAL or was there a TA involved?  We have had our TA call several times and they still tell them not in process yet.  We cancelled our two June cruises on March 17 through the big box store, both were paid in full, too. All dates are before yours.   I'm wondering if we can deal directly with HAL when we call or have to still go through the TA.  

I booked through a TA but called HAL directly and eventually was transferred to a very helpful gentleman who provided me with the info.  Good Luck with your refund.

6 minutes ago, lvdave said:

I booked through a TA but called HAL directly and eventually was transferred to a very helpful gentleman who provided me with the info.  Good Luck with your refund.

Thanks for that info.  Fingers crossed.

I have been following this thread for a while. HAL canceled our April 27th cruise back in March. On March 30 I requested a full refund. After waiting and reading all the info. on here I finally disputed the charges on my credit card. The cruise was on two different cards. I have finally gotten a full refund. It seems like disputing the charges forces their hand since they need to work with the credit card companies for future cruises and cannot afford to be blocked.

We wish to remind you to return to the online check-in page to register your flight arrival and departure details. Providing this information is important in ensuring a timely embarkation and debarkation process for all guests.

Kindly follow the below link to complete online check-in and provide your flight arrival information. We look forward to welcoming you and appreciate your assistance with completing the registration process. Personal information will be handled in accordance with our Privacy Policy, which is available on the website.

This is the email I got this morning for my canceled June cruise, UNBELIEVABLE. It’s almost June and they are now just refunding some March cruise’s. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, dave34 said:

It’s almost June and they are now just refunding some March cruise’s. 

Yep... the line is VERY long. We were scheduled to sail March 14th, and HAL cancelled the cruise March 13th. Our refund posted to our credit card on May 21st... took awhile.

In checking my AmEx account this morning, I was pleasantly surprised to see the refund I have been waiting for.  I cancelled a May 18th Alaskan cruise on March 18th direct with HAL invoking the PPP cancel for any reason. The figure for  the cash refund given by the HAL agent was what I received. There is a small FCC floating somewhere but I am not concerned about that.  Time from cancellation to posted refund was 72 days. For someone who did not think I would ever see a refund, I am very happy. Thank you HAL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Refunds are coming, if people would stop calling Holland every few days asking for there refunds.they might be able to do it faster.

The amount of calls Holland is getting every day is crazy.

However, the people fielding these calls are frontline reservation staff - and are not handling the refunds nor accounting processes.  They do not even have access to any info, processing times or dates!   

Carol

2 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Refunds are coming, if people would stop calling Holland every few days asking for there refunds.they might be able to do it faster.

The amount of calls Holland is getting every day is crazy.

I totally agree with you BUT this is where HAL could of saved themselves a lot of time, money, etc by being more forthcoming and keeping people apprised with emails etc.  Not until recently have they started adding more information that has been very helpful.  FYI I never called JUST to ask about my refund.......only at a time where I was booking another cruise and had someone on the phone!  Can't wait for things to get back to "normal".  Safe travels all!