Refund timing?

dlesh77

I can almost accept that there may be a long queue for getting refunds, but as far as I can tell no one has gotten a refund since 14 March 2020. (If anyone has, please let us know). In other words, there is a long queue, but HAL isn't doing anything either.

The idea that HAL is working tirelessly to process refunds doesn't quite ring true to me. Even a slow trickle of refunds would have some positive news on this thread or website. A few posts above reports two refund requests at the same time for the same cruise. One processed 13 March 2020, then... nothing for the other. Six weeks of nothing as far as I can tell. This does not look good for those of us waiting. The people at the front of the line are still waiting too.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Orsino said:

I can almost accept that there may be a long queue for getting refunds, but as far as I can tell no one has gotten a refund since 14 March 2020. (If anyone has, please let us know). In other words, there is a long queue, but HAL isn't doing anything either.

The idea that HAL is working tirelessly to process refunds doesn't quite ring true to me. Even a slow trickle of refunds would have some positive news on this thread or website. A few posts above reports two refund requests at the same time for the same cruise. One processed 13 March 2020, then... nothing for the other. Six weeks of nothing as far as I can tell. This does not look good for those of us waiting. The people at the front of the line are still waiting too.

My prebooked shore excursions for my HAL cancelled March 18 Hawaii cruise were refunded to my credit card almost immediately.  I chose the full refund option on the cruise fare, and am patiently waiting for that.

Karen

• Like 2

I was reading this one thread not that long ago and some guys was saying that it took him like 3 days to get a refund. I was very surprised. But I said earlier it is all dependent on the bank and its cooperation with the cruise company as the money they refund its not cruiser's money but loaned money by the company. And in some cases it may take a few days while in other it would a few months..  

1 hour ago, Orsino said:

HAL cancelled our 4/15/20 Hawaii sailing around April 1st, but no shore excursion refund (they said by June 1st). This past Monday we followed the refund request process rather than the FCC and understandably nothing on that either since we just initiated it.

What bothers me is I have nothing in writing confirming my request, they don't even send an email.  I will give them some time, but if still nothing by June 1st I'll have to be "that guy" and call about it.  

I have to agree that the "tirelessly" working to process refunds is a bit hard to believe.  Besides the no email issue, there's nothing when I log into HAL, or even a general statement on website.  I love HAL, we've used them exclusively for over a decade as our cruise line of choice, but their website and communications which are an extension of the website nowadays are a lesson in futility.  I was recently on Princess' website because they have an itinerary that interests me and their web services are light years ahead of HAL.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Sounds almost like they are going to wait those 60 days and then start thinking about refunds!

I was wondering the same thing, as some type of cash management strategy.  And I have no problem with that, we're not dying for the money so if it helps HAL we're good with it.  We just wish they were a little more transparent about it.

I live just outside Seattle, I don't know where their processing center is but the quarantine might be contributing to it, if processing is local they would have to work from home.  Or maybe some employees "unemployed" themselves for the generous entitlement that is (the checks are sizable in Washington State).  But how motivated will these employees be to process refunds?  I work from home myself (even before the stay at home orders), and there are days when it's difficult to get into it, especially when the bed is five feet away from the desk.  

That's more tongue in cheek because obviously you come up with ways to get going if you want to continue to enjoy the work from home privilege and usually that's what it is.  But somebody suddenly thrust into it might be less familiar with all the protocols. 

Edited by atexsix

On 4/27/2020 at 6:13 AM, knotfaking said:

I cancelled our June Alaskan cruise and understand there will be a long wait for a refund.  My concern is I don't see anything noted on my account that the cancellation has been submitted.  I didn't get a confirmation for the cancellation form I submitted.  Is that normal?  TIA

I'm more concerned about this too now that it's been a few days.  One person on this thread reported selecting refund and HAL had them down as FCC.  Does anybody think it's wise to call HAL and confirm what they have in their records?  

*****On further thought: I have nothing in writing confirming the date I requested the refund, that's pretty artsy crafty on their part not sending out confirmation emails for people that choose refund or FCC via the dedicated portal, then they can pretty much say/do anything they want.  I think I'm being a bit too trusting here and I'm going to call HAL early Monday morning, so I have a name/date/time at the very least. 

Edited by atexsix

12 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I'm more concerned about this too now that it's been a few days.  One person on this thread reported selecting refund and HAL had them down as FCC.  Does anybody think it's wise to call HAL and confirm what they have in their records?  

*****On further thought: I have nothing in writing confirming the date I requested the refund, that's pretty artsy crafty on their part not sending out confirmation emails for people that choose refund or FCC via the dedicated portal, then they can pretty much say/do anything they want.  I think I'm being a bit too trusting here and I'm going to call HAL early Monday morning, so I have a name/date/time at the very least. 

I need to quote myself because I want to do my part to spread good and helpful info that everyone desperately needs right now.

There was a similar issue on the Princess board and they were told that no part of this hastily designed process is automated including confirmation emails and that is why this is taking so long.  I'm personally going to allow 90 days in my financial records rather than 60, I'm willing to be more patient and I will not call and rant/rave about the refund, but I do want the refund request confirmation since we already have proven cases of improper selection records as mentioned by others. 

On 3/12/20, I cancelled a Maasdam 4/15 departure cruise and on 3/17/20 our HAL Copper Canyon shore excursion was refunded without me requesting it.  There's been no word on the cruise fare refund and FCC.

I spoke to HAL - reservations associate this morning. As Atexsix indicated, I suggested that HAL could post all the ships / cruise that have had the refunds issued. Keeping us uninformed is only adding to every ones frustration. In fairness I think they are all flying by the seats of their pants. We consumers are fickle purchasers. HAL's biggest problem is "LACK" of public communication, use the web-site to update us. Maybe, we need to take this to HAL face book site. We have more power as a collective.  They view Cruise Critic, but it's not out there for public viewing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, friedaliene said:

I suggested that HAL could post all the ships / cruise that have had the refunds issued. 

What a train wreck that would be !  The complaints about what hasn't been done would be heard all the way to the moon.

• Like 1

I am keeping my fingers crossed. I get USPS informed delivery each morning with photos of the mail arriving later today. The envelope indicated postage paid by Allianz Road and Travel. I can partially read the contents  through the address window and it says “Pay to the order of” ...

We cancelled our April 2ndcruise back in March 7th. This could be my $8000 refund check?

The reason they may be sending a check instead is because I was told they would return to original cc. However my card number has changed twice since then. When I told the HAL agent that info, they said they would fall back to sending a check.

I am wondering, since we purchased insurance, if the cruise line is refunding via insurance claims. Or it could simply be a refund on the Platinum insurance. I will post back this afternoon.

Edited by rascalious

4 hours ago, rascalious said:

I am keeping my fingers crossed. I get USPS informed delivery each morning with photos of the mail arriving later today. The envelope indicated postage paid by Allianz Road and Travel. I can partially read the contents  through the address window and it says “Pay to the order of” ...

We cancelled our April 2ndcruise back in March 7th. This could be my $8000 refund check?

The reason they may be sending a check instead is because I was told they would return to original cc. However my card number has changed twice since then. When I told the HAL agent that info, they said they would fall back to sending a check.

I am wondering, since we purchased insurance, if the cruise line is refunding via insurance claims. Or it could simply be a refund on the Platinum insurance. I will post back this afternoon.

Nope, just a Good Sam’ RV ad.

2 hours ago, Ellen495 said:

We got all of our money back via credit card dispute. Done.

Same here. I got so frustrated waiting for a refund. Called my credit card company and disputed. It was about an hour on the phone because I had paid multiple small payments since Sept 2018. Bottom line, they disputed all of them for a total of over $9000 returned to my card. They said I don't even have to contact HAL, that they would deal with them.

• Like 1

Today is the 61 day mark since I cancelled. I cancelled on 3/7 for a 5/10 cruise. I was supposed to get FCC for the deposit and penalties, and the rest credited back to my credit cards. I used 2 different credit cards to pay. How do I dispute the charges with the 2 credit card companies? Would the credit card companies give me back all my money including the amount of the FCC? Please don't yell at me. If you don't agree with disputing, please scroll on by. I'm seeking advice on how to do a dispute which I have never ever done.

Edited by GabbiRose
  • Like 1

I don't know how the FCC works because I opted for a full refund. I cancelled on 3/8 for a June Alaskan cruise. I've received no monies back at this point.

I actually used 3 different credit cards to pay for my cruise and disputed each one separately. It's a relatively easy process. You'll have to visit each credit card's website.

The CC company credits you back the monies...conditionally. They will give you a date where they expect the matter to be resolved between themselves and HAL. It is my understanding that once that date passes, the credited money is yours. They ask you to make them aware of any correspondence, credits, etc. that you receive from HAL.

I actually initiated the disputes weeks ago. I didn't even wait for the 60 day mark, since I have so little faith that HAL will refund any monies (whether willingly or otherwise).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2020 at 8:42 PM, Ellen495 said:

We got all of our money back via credit card dispute. Done.

This is what everyone will need to do, and it will be quite harmful for HAL, based on what I'm reading.  If a merchant gets a blizzard of charge backs, the cc company may not continue with that merchant.

• Like 1

What reason do I enter on the form for the dispute since I am the one who cancelled it. I'm sorry I even had to consider a dispute. When I first cancelled on 3/7, HAL told me 7-10 days to see the credit back on my card. I waited patiently. After 15 days, I called HAL and they said 30 days. I had no more communications with HAL since that call. I then read on these forum that the wait is 60 days, then 90 days. Well, I am 61 days today and still NOTHING from HAL.

I'm very sorry if I harmed them -not my intention  -  though I doubt the credit card companies will think that honestly. It's not like a merchant of a seedy sort that they get wind of. But we'll see.

The reason you enter is you didn't receive your refund yet. If you wait too long, your credit card won't help you. I think it might be 60 days from when you tried to cancel. If you're 61 days, do it TODAY. You may be okay!

• Thanks 1

I don't have answer for you.  The wait times just keep growing. 

Yesterday on another Roll Call, someone advised that NCL - is headed for bankruptcy.  NCL - is seeking to split shares and seeking outrageous loans to cover them. They have 3 new ships - somewhere in the new build stages.  I haven't looked at Carnival Corp. which falls under corporately but their shares have plummeted as well. Carnival has new ship Mardi Gras currently under construction (big bucks commitment).  

Even RCL - UK president advises that destinations will be coming back over extended period.  

Consider, all the support workers that have been furloughed over this pandemic and getting them to the various ships ports.

RCL - is picking up cruise staff at various ports, taking them all to England and I think they have chartered a flight for these folks to their country of origin they will then get what ever transportation to their home destinations.  RCL advises that to adjust the Medical Infirmaries needs to be addressed as well. 

Personally, I have filed dispute with Allainz - VISA travel coverage, as well waiting on HAL, I'm trying to have all my options covered.  

• Just now, GabbiRose said:

What reason do I enter on the form for the dispute since I am the one who cancelled it. I'm sorry I even had to consider a dispute. When I first cancelled on 3/7, HAL told me 7-10 days to see the credit back on my card. I waited patiently. After 15 days, I called HAL and they said 30 days. I had no more communications with HAL since that call. I then read on these forum that the wait is 60 days, then 90 days. Well, I am 61 days today and still NOTHING from HAL.

• Thanks 1