Refund timing?

dlesh77

Hi all, 

Canceled my April 25th cruise on HAL today. My TA said Holland is taking up to two weeks or longer to process refunds. Has anyone canceled since this all started happening, and how long to get your refund? TIA

1 minute ago, dlesh77 said:

Hi all, 

Canceled my April 25th cruise on HAL today. My TA said Holland is taking up to two weeks or longer to process refunds. Has anyone canceled since this all started happening, and how long to get your refund? TIA

A group of us cancelled this weekend.  Of our group, 3 have their refunds already.

Myself and my friend are still waiting.

I cancelled our April 1st Veendam cruise this morning and was told the taxes/port charges and anything else  I charged to a credit card (specialty dining, liquor, spa) would be refunded immediately. I would receive an email in about two weeks regarding the FCC.

Last I saw, they were offering FCC for cancellations.  Are they offering refunds?  We have a Holy Land cruise in 2021 but HAL will not let me transfer the credit to that cruise.  Are others getting different actions from HAL?

• Like 1

I cancelled through the Big Box TA last Sunday for an Alaskan cruise in mid June. Since I was 97 days out, I opted for a full refund. I received an email confirmation from the big box TA immediately, however, when I log into HAL's website, my booking shows that it's still active. I have not received any monies yet.

37 minutes ago, CORealtor said:

Last I saw, they were offering FCC for cancellations.  Are they offering refunds?  We have a Holy Land cruise in 2021 but HAL will not let me transfer the credit to that cruise.  Are others getting different actions from HAL?

We cancelled within the 50% time line. Will get 50% refund and other 50% which would normally be a loss is being given to us as FCC. 

I cancelled my Volendam - March 22nd cruise on Monday - received my credit to my card today.   I guess I should have followed my PCC advice and waited a bit now that they have cancelled the next 30 days' trips.  I would have gotten a better deal.  Oh well.

I cancelled our 03/29 Nieuw Statendam cruise on Monday and had the 25% cash refund back on my credit card Wednesday; the FCC will take up to 6 weeks my PCC said and I still haven't received the pre-booked excursions/dinners back yet.  I was going to wait closer to the sail date but my PCC said since I was in the 75% cancellation period until today I should just do it then because she would be on vacation next week and I may lapse into the full 100% period resulting in all FCC.  Now they go and cancel the cruise anyway so I likely could have gotten a full refund.  I hope they retro it for at least a week or two and refund all my money with the exception of the original $100 FCD I used which I'm happy to leave as an FCD.  Princess stated they would extend their"offer to "those guests who had made final payment and cancelled their booking on or after February 4, 2020."  As a sister line I'd hope HAL does the same.  Not a deal breaker but it's unlikely I'll be able to get the same cruise next year for a similar price so it would be nice to have the cash in hand.

40 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

I cancelled our 03/29 Nieuw Statendam cruise on Monday and had the 25% cash refund back on my credit card Wednesday; the FCC will take up to 6 weeks my PCC said and I still haven't received the pre-booked excursions/dinners back yet.  I was going to wait closer to the sail date but my PCC said since I was in the 75% cancellation period until today I should just do it then because she would be on vacation next week and I may lapse into the full 100% period resulting in all FCC.  Now they go and cancel the cruise anyway so I likely could have gotten a full refund.  I hope they retro it for at least a week or two and refund all my money with the exception of the original $100 FCD I used which I'm happy to leave as an FCD.  Princess stated they would extend their"offer to "those guests who had made final payment and cancelled their booking on or after February 4, 2020."  As a sister line I'd hope HAL does the same.  Not a deal breaker but it's unlikely I'll be able to get the same cruise next year for a similar price so it would be nice to have the cash in hand.

We had a similar situation with our Westerdam cancellation and HAL did indeed do a look-back and refund all of our money when they ended up cancelling the cruise.  I hope it works out the same for you.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

We had a similar situation with our Westerdam cancellation and HAL did indeed do a look-back and refund all of our money when they ended up cancelling the cruise.  I hope it works out the same for you.  

Good to know. Thanks. I will likely book with them again either way but we tried to salvage our vacation time and will go to Mexico instead (unless that gets cancelled too) so would love to have the full refund if possible. 

15 hours ago, Kfrech said:

I wonder if it may be taking longer cancelling through a TA, rather than HAL directly.

I suspect this is the case. We cancelled our April 19 cruise a week ago, booked through a large well-known organization for retired people and while I received a confirmation I have yet to see the 50% credit post on our card or the FCC on HAL's site. If I don't see something on the card by Tuesday I plan on calling them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CORealtor said:

You will get a full refund.  Your cruise is, so far, not affected by the current situation, so I would doubt if you would get the FCC.  

• Like 1

Cancelled through our PCC on the 10th, the refund from insurance arrived on my credit card  yesterday the 13th,

I also received notification by e-mail of refunds of pre-purchased excursions and other items on the 13th.  Based on prior similar pre-purchased items, I would expect to see the  actual refund to my credit card on Monday or Tuesday. 

Cancelled my cruise last weekend and still waiting for my refund.

My pre-purchased items were credited back to my credit card on Thursday.

Amazing how things work differently for different people, isn’t it?

We cancelled our NA March 21st cruise on March 7th and have received all our pre-purchased item funds (excursions, dining, drinks pkgs, photos, etc) back on our card as of yesterday, March 13. PCC said 2 weeks for the FCC to show up in our Mariner accts and a notice in our email inbox. We had booked directly with HAL.

We cancelled our JetBlue flights on the 10th and got the funds we were owed from them yesterday as well and the travel bank funds which showed up immediately.

Travel insurance coverage from this cruise is presently being transferred to our new cruise since we made no claims. I am sure I'll need to send in some documentation for that but they said they would get back to me in 3 days time.

Airbnb was the only company I lost money with actually ($136). Everyone else has been really responsive.

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

You will get a full refund.  Your cruise is, so far, not affected by the current situation, so I would doubt if you would get the FCC.  

The cruise I want to cancel is on April 25-May 2 and May 3-May 10.  I would like to transfer the funds to my 2021 cruise to the Holy Land.  They say I cannot transfer the funds to that one, but I need to book another cruise, and we just don't have the time for one.  Does that make more sense?

14 minutes ago, CORealtor said:

The cruise I want to cancel is on April 25-May 2 and May 3-May 10.  I would like to transfer the funds to my 2021 cruise to the Holy Land.  They say I cannot transfer the funds to that one, but I need to book another cruise, and we just don't have the time for one.  Does that make more sense?

We were told it had to be a new booking too but others have posted that they have gotten it applied to an existing booking?  There is nothing in Ashford’s letter about new booking?  It seems different people are being told different things.  I’m wondering if it depended on the terms of the cancellation (ie. cancelled by HAL or you chose to cancel it).

I just got off the phone with HAL.  They have cancelled all cruises for the next 30 days. I guess they made that decision last night, but I had not heard.  Well, mine is slightly past that.  Based on all that is going on, they cancelled both of my cruises and refunded me 50% plus taxes and port costs (to my credit card), and the other 50% went into a FCC.  She told me that she put a note in my folio that the FCC would be transferred to my cruise next year.  I am very happy!  Also, she said they were giving pretty much anything anyone wants for the short term, since this is all happening.

41 minutes ago, CORealtor said:

I just got off the phone with HAL.  They have cancelled all cruises for the next 30 days. I guess they made that decision last night, but I had not heard.  Well, mine is slightly past that.  Based on all that is going on, they cancelled both of my cruises and refunded me 50% plus taxes and port costs (to my credit card), and the other 50% went into a FCC.  She told me that she put a note in my folio that the FCC would be transferred to my cruise next year.  I am very happy!  Also, she said they were giving pretty much anything anyone wants for the short term, since this is all happening.

HAL cancelled your April and May cruises? I have a cruise on April 19 so now I'm really confused. I thought if HAL cancelled the cruise you would get a full refund like AncientWanderer said???

Sorry, I was not clear.  They allowed ME to cancel my cruises and that I had booked.  I should have phrased it differently.  Originally they said that they would not allow me to apply my FCC to my already booked cruise.  Not they let me.

12 minutes ago, CORealtor said:

Sorry, I was not clear.  They allowed ME to cancel my cruises and that I had booked.  I should have phrased it differently.  Originally they said that they would not allow me to apply my FCC to my already booked cruise.  Not they let me.

Thanks for clarifying. Still on the fence about cancelling at 30 days or waiting until (if) they do it.

• 4 weeks later...

We cancelled a late April/May cruise on March 16 and was told the refund would take 4 to 6 business days. Still no money. I am starting to fear that Carnaval Corporation has a cash flow issue. I saw that they were issuing several billion in bonds to provide cash.  Hope this helps and that we do not see a bankruptcy. I would not be booking any future cruises at this point - unless the deposit is minimal.