Refund timing?

dlesh77

3 hours ago, kelmac said:

How do you dispute a charge that was made last year in May and final payment Dec 1st?  Not within the 60 day window of time allotted for challenges. 

We had the same question and called our CC company.  They told us that since we had travel insurance as a benefit of our CC, they referred us to that department.  We had to answer some questions and provide some documentation but we expect to get our deposit back that we paid for over a year ago. 

If I am not mistake, right when you apply for a refund you should get a notification saying when the refund should be issued. They should indicate an exact number of days or a range period in which you will be refunded. If this information is not given, you can request it from the office of the cruise company

Well, I was in contact with Visa / Canada dispute this a.m. I'm waiting for FCC to be returned as full refund credit. According to associate I don't have a dispute to receive cash refund. The dispute reverts back to "Cancellation Policy" as was established at point of purchase. That the refund policy doesn't mitigate based on the "NEW" "Revised" options that have changed 3 perhaps 4 times since early March 2020.  I have escalated in Disputes to a higher power.  Will have to wait and see what out come will be.

I canceled a cruise scheduled to depart October 2020, on March 24th..asked at that time how long should it take for me to receive my refund and was told approximately 60 days.. I figured I would call them today just to get an update as to approximately when I might receive the refund... The agent at Holland America asked me what was the date of my cancellation and when I told her March 24th without any hesitation or prefacing at all she told me May 24th, exactly 61 days later; sounded like a scripted answer to me.. not sure if the 60-day window to file a dispute applies here, since the original charge for my deposit was made 5 months ago, so I'll wait another two weeks and then if I have not gotten it I'll make a call to my credit card company...

Edited by edgekid

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

I just got the same email for my Apr 19 sailing on Nieuw Statendam

We were booked on the same cruise. I have heard NOTHING from our TA or HAL, regarding the 50% refund to our card or the 50% FCC.

I think I'm going to start a dispute with the credit card company.

FWIW, on 3/19/2020 I cancelled four prepaid HAL shore excursions. The EXC desk said that it would take up to 60 days for the refund. The refunds credited my cc today (51 days) and I did not have to contact my cc issuer to request a charge back.

Well finally we have some positive news about refunds.  Our 15 March 2020 Koningsdam cruise was cancelled on 13 March and today we received $500 in refunds for two drink cards purchased precruise.  Nothing yet on the cruise itself, but I will follow up if that occurs.  So, this would be day 57 since our cruise was cancelled.  I'm pleased.  

PS -- I didn't challenge this with my credit card company.

Enjoy!

Kel

Edited by kelmac
  • Like 1

I also received some good news this morning when I checked my credit card.  Excursions that were cancelled in March have been credited back to me.  I’m hoping that means my port taxes and insurance refunds aren’t too far behind.

5 hours ago, kelmac said:

Well finally we have some positive news about refunds.  Our 15 March 2020 Koningsdam cruise was cancelled on 13 March and today we received $500 in refunds for two drink cards purchased precruise.  Nothing yet on the cruise itself, but I will follow up if that occurs.  So, this would be day 57 since our cruise was cancelled.  I'm pleased.  

PS -- I didn't challenge this with my credit card company.

Enjoy!

Kel

I literally just got off the phone with HAL. Our March 21,2020  twenty eight day cruise was cancelled by HAL on March 13.  They have us down for requesting a refund on March 17. I think it was actually March 15, but I am not going to quibble about 2 days. The REP told us our refund to our credit card will be issued on May 17...exactly 61 days after our request. We shall see what happens 8 days from today. Let us know what happens with YOU in three or four days.

Edited by SonuvaBeach
  • Like 1

I just received a refund on my credit card for the July Alaska shore excursion I cancelled March 24th when it looked like the cruise would be cancelled (it was.)  Now just waiting for the full refund of my HAL cancelled March 18 Hawaii cruise.  There is hope!

Karen 

Background - were booked on a HA Alaska cruise June 14. HA cancelled on April 14 thru an email notification. We had paid for insurance thru HA and had insurance thru cc co as well. No communication since then from HA. We chose 100% refund on form on HA site. Follow up HA chat says 60 days for refund although I am not feeling so confidant HA will be able to continue business activites ( saw their CEO Ashford left) .  At the suggestion of several on this thread, we filed a dispute with our cc co. We actually are now on our 4th attempt to dispute with our cc. They say they are investigating but no indication they are providing a conditional credit. Just trying to help anyome out in a similar situation. Appreciate your advice and feedback. 

Who is the credit card company?

I had charges on 3 different cards - American Express, Chase and Citibank. They all provided conditional credit within a few days. Chase has already been resolved (in about 3 weeks time since i initiated the dispute). HAL actually refunded the amount to my American Express card (it was just for 2 drink packages and I just received the credit this morning), so that dispute basically resolved itself. Citibank required additional paperwork.

This was for a June Alaskan cruise that I cancelled on March 19th. We were within the "fully refundable" time period. No insurance was involved.

I don't know the finesse of cruise lines accounting but it appears that extras such as drink packages, excursions or WIFI are credited back much at quicker pace than the actual cruise fare. It seems all the PLUS items are under another dept. control whereas cruise fares fall under the reservations department. Reservations dept. reviews then passes the approved credit to accounting for processing. I could be out to lunch but "Reservations" & "Accounting" are both on cruise credit processing overload. In "Normal" business practice the volume of cancellations being processed is probably small. Supposedly, staff from other areas have been moved to assist with the volume.  From past experience if I book an add on and then cancel the credit shows up approx 3 working days later. 

I filed on Mar 26/20 a claim with Allianz the insurer linked to my Visa / Travel card (Canada) for recovery of certain expenses, yesterday via snail mail dated May 6/20 they are requesting additional documentation. I had called their claims "Hot Line" (that is joke - every one is working from home (WFH) 45 minutes on hold to be advised that it will probably be another 6 weeks before I hear anything. I'm now going to be derogatory the speed that these companies are working is like dealing governmental bureaucracy and yes lots of time government employees. 

Another cruiser whose credits and refunds are coming through as promised.  Cruise cancellation notice from HAL on March 30 and form filled on same day. The cruise credits are now through and applied to a 2021 cruise and one of the 3 refunds has refunded to my credit card.  Two small ones still to come, but it appears to me they are going to meet their 60 day promise. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 8:04 PM, dlesh77 said:

Hi all, 

Canceled my April 25th cruise on HAL today. My TA said Holland is taking up to two weeks or longer to process refunds. Has anyone canceled since this all started happening, and how long to get your refund? TIA

I cancelled my May 3rd Italy and Greece cruise March 13th as well, with the same 50% refund, 50% FCC... and still have received nothing... have you heard any more since this post?

1 hour ago, voyageur said:

I cancelled my May 3rd Italy and Greece cruise March 13th as well, with the same 50% refund, 50% FCC... and still have received nothing... have you heard any more since this post?

Hi. Nope have not heard a thing or seen a cent. Coming up on 60 days this week. I asked my credit union what they can do and said nothing, I can only dispute up to 60 days from payment. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 5:06 PM, kazu said:

A group of us cancelled this weekend.  Of our group, 3 have their refunds already.

Myself and my friend are still waiting.

I canceled our May 23 cruise on March 23, 8 weeks ago with my TA.  still no word or refund and my booking disappeared from my HAL account.