Princess update cancellation policy

Tophat4321

This update applies to departures from May 11 to July 31, 2020.

We have enhanced the temporary policy updates that we made on March 6 as part of our Cruise with Confidence program, offering you peace of mind when booking your summer cruise or cruisetour vacation during the evolving situation with the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.

What's Changed?

Cruises sailing May 11, 2020 through July 31, 2020

• Princess plans to resume Cruise Operations on May 11, 2020.
  • Cruise with Confidence is extended to cruises sailing through July 31, 2020 (previously May 31, 2020).
  • On these cruises, you can now cancel your vacation up to 48 hours before sailing (previously 72 hours).
  • You will continue to receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of your cancellation fee.
  • We have expired the previously published policy which gave you an Onboard Credit (OBC) if you did not cancel your bookings on cruises or cruisetours for departures between May 11, 2020 and May 31, 2020.
  • The previously published March 31st cancellation deadline for April and May sailings is eliminated.
  • The previously published 60-day final payment date for June sailings remains in place. Beginning with July sailings the final payment date returns to our published policy.

Cruises sailing August 1, 2020 through October 15, 2020

• If you’ve booked by April 30, 2020 on these cruises, you can now cancel your vacation up to 30 days before sailing.
  • You will continue to receive a Future Cruise Credit for the amount of your cancellation fee.

The Fine Print remains unchanged

Future Cruise Credits (FCC) are non-refundable. To be eligible for these revised cancellation terms, bookings must be made on any cruise departing by December 31, 2021.

The FCC does not have to be used on the same product that was cancelled. The FCC cannot be used on the same sailing as the original booking.

FCCs will automatically be applied to your Captain’s Circle profile on the bookings cancelled in this time frame. Note, FCCs will not be available instantly and may take up to 30 business days to be processed.

They have not addressed the closure of the Canadian ports yet.  The cruises I am book on are still available for booking.  Maybe they are hoping the ban can be lifted.  I guess we just need to give them time as things are changing on a daily basis.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Schonert said:

They have not addressed the closure of the Canadian ports yet.  The cruises I am book on are still available for booking.  Maybe they are hoping the ban can be lifted.  I guess we just need to give them time as things are changing on a daily basis.

I have a cruise on May 31st out of Seattle. Now I can wait.

• Like 4

My cruise leaves July 1 so we missed out on final payment being 60 days out. Ours will have final payment before cruises leaving before ours. Not happy. Too much money to tie up in non refundable fcc. 

"We have expired the previously published policy which gave you an Onboard Credit (OBC) if you did not cancel your bookings on cruises or cruisetours for departures between May 11, 2020 and May 31, 2020."

Does this mean that they have removed the $200 OBC for staying loyal and not canceling?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sccoupe said:

"We have expired the previously published policy which gave you an Onboard Credit (OBC) if you did not cancel your bookings on cruises or cruisetours for departures between May 11, 2020 and May 31, 2020."

Does this mean that they have removed the $200 OBC for staying loyal and not canceling?

That's certainly what I would have thought until I read the following, which is included among the FAQs for the new policy:  

"19. When will my OBC be applied?
All cruises up to May 31, 2020 have OBCs applied to the bookings."

Why create this confusion if their stated goal is to get passengers not to cancel?  

7 minutes ago, goldfada said:

That's certainly what I would have thought until I read the following, which is included among the FAQs for the new policy:  

"19. When will my OBC be applied?
All cruises up to May 31, 2020 have OBCs applied to the bookings."

Why create this confusion if their stated goal is to get passengers not to cancel?  

I read it as if OBC was already applied to your account it remains, however no new bookings within that time frame would be issued.  Have read a lot of people placing new bookings during the timeframe based on good rates, maybe to stop that?  I went in and checked and mine is still there for my 5/16/20 cruise.  Can't imagine them removing that after they applied it and we hadn't cancelled.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, travellingnana said:

Am I understanding this correctly...that I no longer need to add Princess CFAR insurance to my June 13th cruise...and that I can cancel the cruise up to 48 hrs ahead (just because I want to) and still get a FCC for what I've paid?

if CFAR was the main reason for buying … then no - but if medical and EVAC matter ( limited as it is ) , then ...

2 hours ago, Sccoupe said:

I am reading this as the OBC was applied to that particular booking and now the booking has been canceled, they are offering you an even bigger incentive by taking the bonus FCC of 25% more if you choose that option.  In other words, the $200 is no longer active but a bonus FCC is now offered instead.  

I don't really know this for sure but it is my assumption.  

I really  believe the  US govt. will give cruiselines a waiver to the Jones Act.  So they will not have to stop in

Canada.  Cruises that leave from Seattle or other mainland ports can simply go to Alaska or return without

having to stop in Victoria or Vancouver.
Greg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, casavaha said:

I really  believe the  US govt. will give cruiselines a waiver to the Jones Act.  So they will not have to stop in

Canada.  Cruises that leave from Seattle or other mainland ports can simply go to Alaska or return without

having to stop in Victoria or Vancouver.
Greg

PVSA, not Jones

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, padragain said:

My problem with bypassing Vancouver is that all my hotel and flights are in Vancouver?? What about those issues. I think the only option I have is to cancel and try again next year

Pat

Definitely now is the time to only book flights using EZAir flexible fares.

With EZAir, Princess covers you when they change embarkation/debarkation ports and when they have delayed arrival on disembarkation day.

2 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

I wonder is Aon will refund premiums for policies covering cruises cancelled by Princess?

If you are referring to the Princess Vacation Protection, then yes.  This is from the Princess website:

Government Fees and Taxes, Princess Vacation Protection and any pre-paid items will be refunded, regardless of the option chosen.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

If you are referring to the Princess Vacation Protection, then yes.  This is from the Princess website:

Government Fees and Taxes, Princess Vacation Protection and any pre-paid items will be refunded, regardless of the option chosen.

Thanks. I couldn't find what you referred to.

On 3/14/2020 at 8:38 AM, Tophat4321 said:

We have enhanced the temporary policy updates that we made on March 6 as part of our Cruise with Confidence program, offering you peace of mind when booking your summer cruise or cruisetour vacation during the evolving situation with the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.

What's Changed?

• Cruise with Confidence is extended to cruises sailing through July 31, 2020 (previously May 31, 2020).
  • On these cruises, you can now cancel your vacation up to 48 hours before sailing (previously 72 hours).
  • You will continue to receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of your cancellation fee.
  • We have expired the previously published policy which gave you an Onboard Credit (OBC) if you did not cancel your bookings on cruises or cruisetours for departures between May 11, 2020 and May 31, 2020.
  • The previously published March 31st cancellation deadline for April and May sailings is eliminated.
  • The previously published 60-day final payment date for June sailings remains in place. Beginning with July sailings the final payment date returns to our published policy.

• If you’ve booked by April 30, 2020 on these cruises, you can now cancel your vacation up to 30 days before sailing.
  • You will continue to receive a Future Cruise Credit for the amount of your cancellation fee.

Future Cruise Credits (FCC) are non-refundable. To be eligible for these revised cancellation terms, bookings must be made on any cruise departing by December 31, 2021.

The FCC does not have to be used on the same product that was cancelled. The FCC cannot be used on the same sailing as the original booking.

FCCs will automatically be applied to your Captain’s Circle profile on the bookings cancelled in this time frame. Note, FCCs will not be available instantly and may take up to 30 business days to be processed.

maybe i'm wrong in reading...cruise with confidence is extended but not with the OBC

i believe that to be hypocritical in it's wording 

again that's just my opinion

could i be wrong...of course

so could PRINCESS be....

leave it up to those who are cruising and loyal to them....

On 3/14/2020 at 6:38 AM, Tophat4321 said:

What's Changed?

Thanks for posting the update.

2 hours ago, a.madruga said:

maybe i'm wrong in reading...cruise with confidence is extended but not with the OBC

i believe that to be hypocritical in it's wording 

again that's just my opinion

could i be wrong...of course

so could PRINCESS be....

leave it up to those who are cruising and loyal to them....

I know from past experience that they "immediately" refund sales and port taxes.

We have 25 days to final payments on 10 day Alaska cruise for my DW 60th birthday celebration but the fact that loyalty and keeping our cruise means not much to Princess leaving those in July cruises out of OBC for loyalty....will wait and see what happens

IMO there are numerous cabins available for our cruise, Princess might extend there 60 days....

1 hour ago, a.madruga said:

We have 25 days to final payments on 10 day Alaska cruise for my DW 60th birthday celebration but the fact that loyalty and keeping our cruise means not much to Princess leaving those in July cruises out of OBC for loyalty....will wait and see what happens

IMO there are numerous cabins available for our cruise, Princess might extend there 60 days....

We have a July cruise booked also. If Princess doesn't move the Final Payment date to 60 days, I think we'll have to cancel.  I just can't see that I'm going to be feeling any more comfortable about going a month from now. It's starting to make me nervous to just get Future Cruise Credit on a company whose stock is dropping so badly. Come on Princess....

• Like 2