Princess update cancellation policy

Tophat4321

I cancelled my Mar 21 Caribbean Cruise on Mar 9.  All payments were made. I received the port taxes back on credit card.  Do I qualify for the Option 1 or 2 that was sent out from Princess on March 14? What if I had insurance, is that refunded or do I need to go through the insurance co.  

12 minutes ago, hetulot said:

I cancelled my Mar 21 Caribbean Cruise on Mar 9.  All payments were made. I received the port taxes back on credit card.  Do I qualify for the Option 1 or 2 that was sent out from Princess on March 14? What if I had insurance, is that refunded or do I need to go through the insurance co.  

Yes you do qualify for Option 1 or 2.

Fill this out: https://princess.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3IPGcxcN0jSk6c5  

You don't have to go through insurance. I don't know about insurance being refunded.

With the state of things right now, the only way that we can keep a booking for July is if Princess changes the final payment date.  We're not going to hang onto international flights, hotels, transfers, excursions and the full cost of a cruise when most borders are now closed, airlines are cancelling international flights and travelers are being required to self quarantine. 

The FCC option doesn't really work for us.  We have another cruised booked for early 2021, but it is much less expensive than the one that we are booked on for July.  We still work, so we can't take multiple vacations in a year (but we would love to), so we can't have money sitting in a non-refundable FCC that will not be used up before the deadline.

If we are forced to make a decision about this cruise by April 2nd, we are going to cancel.  If the payment date were to move to May, we might see some light at the end of the tunnel.  Of course, all of this hinges on the Enchanted Princess even being delivered on time ...

We love Princess.  If they extend the final payment date, we will keep our booking active (and keep our fingers crossed for some good news.)

Stay healthy, and we hope to see all of you on a cruise (once things are safe(er) again)!  🙂

• Like 1

I agree my date for final payment is 11th April and am finding the policy confusing. My understanding is correct me if I am wrong is that if I make the final payment I will have the right to cancel until 48hrs before I go but the refund will be in FCC not money refund unless Princess cancel. If I dont make final payment I will loss my deposit to cancellation fees £390.Either way if I cancel airfare will not be covered as I booked this .Dont know what to do would feel better if I could cancel and get money back.What are others thoughts.

On 3/14/2020 at 7:22 AM, dickinson said:

My cruise leaves July 1 so we missed out on final payment being 60 days out. Ours will have final payment before cruises leaving before ours. Not happy. Too much money to tie up in non refundable fcc. 

I am on the same cruise July 1.  I will cancel 90 days out unless they change our final payment to 60 days out like they did for the May/June departures. Unfair to the July folks.

I was talking to a Princess rep today (changing a few things on our June cruise) and I was told that the FCC could be used through May 1, 2022.

I was also told that the credit could be applied to more than one cruise. For example, we have an Alaskan cruise booked for June 2021, so I could apply the FCC to this cruise and then apply what's left over to another cruise. 

Has anyone else been told this?

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 11:39 PM, Abercrombie2019 said:

With the state of things right now, the only way that we can keep a booking for July is if Princess changes the final payment date.  We're not going to hang onto international flights, hotels, transfers, excursions and the full cost of a cruise when most borders are now closed, airlines are cancelling international flights and travelers are being required to self quarantine.

🙂

On 20th March, Princess announced that the final payment date for July cruises was changed to 60 days prior to the cruise.

I have a segment of the world cruise booked for 2nd July that also has international flights and a hotel stay. I am waiting for Princess to cancel the cruise - it leaves Sydney on 12th May. I cannot see it going ahead. If I cancel I will have a cancellation fee from my travel agent. After Princess cancels I will be in a stronger position to get a refund of my hotel cost. The flights are Princess EZair so I won't have a problem there.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 2:46 PM, brunoseas said:

I agree my date for final payment is 11th April and am finding the policy confusing. My understanding is correct me if I am wrong is that if I make the final payment I will have the right to cancel until 48hrs before I go but the refund will be in FCC not money refund unless Princess cancel. If I dont make final payment I will loss my deposit to cancellation fees £390.Either way if I cancel airfare will not be covered as I booked this .Dont know what to do would feel better if I could cancel and get money back.What are others thoughts.

If you cancel now, will you not get FCC for your deposit? It’s better than losing £390. 
Also depending on who you booked your flights with, most are offering cancellation and will provide a voucher for the value of your flights to be used within a year of the date of your cancelled flight. BA are certainly doing this.

• Like 1

I dont think I will I booked through Cruise 1st and at the time it stated a non refundable deposit. The flights where with fly be but as they have gone bust I rebooked with Eastern airways they are internal in the UK non refundable also .Having said all that I will decide nearer the time and if I want to cancel I will certainly ask for a FCC or a Future cruise voucher from cruise 1st they can only say no . Like everyone else will just have to make a decision  based on events at time of final payment .thanks for advice .

We had the $200 OBC on our 31May cruise.  We decided to cancel that cruise and book a similar one in September.  We do not have any OBC on the September cruise at this time.  

Our TA was able to take what we had paid for the fares on the 31May cruise and move 90% of that to the September cruise immediately; we got the other 10% in an FCC which our TA applied to the new booking.  Our airfare was refunded in full because we didn't book the air immediately.  Once we booked the air, we used the refund to pay for it. 

I was very impressed and pleased with how quickly and professionally everything was taken care of.    Princess has taken care of us very well in a time of crisis and we will always remember that.  

• Like 3

21 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

I was also told that the credit could be applied to more than one cruise. For example, we have an Alaskan cruise booked for June 2021, so I could apply the FCC to this cruise and then apply what's left over to another cruise. 

Has anyone else been told this?

There have been posts quoting the Princess policy that do say you can do this.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

There have been posts quoting the Princess policy that do say you can do this.

I am sure that the Princess policy says you can use your FCC on more than one cruise and it can be used on a cruise that you have yet to pay the final balance.

On 3/23/2020 at 3:00 AM, Aus Traveller said:

I am sure that the Princess policy says you can use your FCC on more than one cruise and it can be used on a cruise that you have yet to pay the final balance.

Can you point me to where it says this? Someone is posting on here your FCC cannot be used for existing bookings or deposits

8 minutes ago, dog said:

Can you point me to where it says this? Someone is posting on here your FCC cannot be used for existing bookings or deposits

Have a look at this site. There are several announcements. I am positive that the announcements last week stated that the FCC can be used for existing bookings as well as future cruises. The FCC can also be used for more than one cruise.

22 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Have a look at this site. There are several announcements. I am positive that the announcements last week stated that the FCC can be used for existing bookings as well as future cruises. The FCC can also be used for more than one cruise.

Thanks I could not find it there. can you quote part Of it?

18 minutes ago, dog said:

Thanks I could not find it there. can you quote part Of it?

I will have another look and post again in a few minutes.

The question of using the FCC on more than one cruise is covered in the announcements on the link I referenced above. Go to "Voluntary 60 Day Pause" then to the FAQ at the bottom.

I will look further for a reference to my comment that the FCC can be used on existing bookings on which the final payment hasn't been made.

Princess' announcement on 6th March included the following:

Future Cruise Credits (FCC) are non-refundable and may be applied to any new or existing booking not yet paid in full on a Princess Cruise departing on or before December 31, 2021.

The FCC does not have to be used on the same product that was cancelled and is non-transferable.

To ensure we cover guests who already made final payment, the revised final payment date means no cancellation fees will be assessed until 60 days prior to sailing.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Thanks 2