Vikings Fit to Cruise policy?

Justalone

35 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

The letter was written by a Travel Agent to their client list. That is why the signature was left off. How the poster got her hands on it is unknown. It is a sales piece; just read the last sentence, "I can't thank you all enough for your business and hope that going forward you will help spread the word how important it is to use a travel professional!" Fear sells.

That's actually what I thought when reading it. It seemed a little off. Reader beware is my policy, especially with internet stuff. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

The letter was written by a Travel Agent to their client list. That is why the signature was left off. How the poster got her hands on it is unknown. It is a sales piece; just read the last sentence, "I can't thank you all enough for your business and hope that going forward you will help spread the word how important it is to use a travel professional!" Fear sells.

Too many grumpy seniors on this thread.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 5:39 PM, bluesea321 said:

"I saw this two days ago.  It was a proposal by the Cruise Lines International Association.  From your post it looks like it has been adopted.  Time will tell."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/11/proposal-white-house-cruise-industry-bar-people-70-ships/5020325002/

The above quote is from the Princess board and the OP is a Princess cruiser. The Thread is titled:

"Are our cruising days over (merged topics re: health and age restrictions" by WmFCoyote on Friday at 3:31 pm

1. Captain_Morgan: I love your comment. Thank you

2. DGHOC- Actually, we are excited to try Viking Ocean, as we have friends who love it and we want to

do the Mediterranean Odyssey itinerary

3. Squakman- I am sorry your research did not yield you what you were looking for. It is a fact that

some cruiselines are adopting this and yes, it is the pits. Knowledge is power and from there we can

hopefully get through this.

4. Peregrina651 and Azulan-  I have documented above "how I got my hands on it". 

• Like 1

I'm sure that the sales offices, finance offices, and legal departments of cruise lines are grappling with the problem. You don't want headline grabbing helicopter evacuations off the coast of Norway for many (100?)  infirm travelers.

• Like 1

I chatted online with a Viking rep and asked specifically about this. She said they have no policy requiring doctors “permission slips” for those over 70. Hopefully this won’t change as this kind of measure really disturbs me. I am married to someone over 70. He is in great health and works out every day. On our last two cruises we went on bike rides and kayaked in Norway. He can hang with the best of them. As people get older, they find more and more things are taken out of their control. I would hope that travel is not going to become dependent upon hoping your doctor doesn’t refuse to give you permission. 

The USA Today article cited here was, as indicated, posted 3/11/20. Check NCL.com and you’ll see a message about current restrictions dated the afternoon of 3/13.  Nothing about age 70. This will be my last post wasting time on this Issue. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tsakishuman said:

I chatted online with a Viking rep and asked specifically about this. She said they have no policy requiring doctors “permission slips” for those over 70. Hopefully this won’t change as this kind of measure really disturbs me. I am married to someone over 70. He is in great health and works out every day. On our last two cruises we went on bike rides and kayaked in Norway. He can hang with the best of them. As people get older, they find more and more things are taken out of their control. I would hope that travel is not going to become dependent upon hoping your doctor doesn’t refuse to give you permission. 

The fact remains that other cruise lines have indeed adopted a 70+ policy.  We’ll see if Viking adopts the policy.  For now, however, the potential for such a policy is by no means “complete rubbish” as someone suggested earlier in this thread.