Pursuit in Chile- CNN

MNgardens

CNN reports:

2 hr 20 min ago

2 cruise ships are quarantined off Chile's coast

From CNN's Helena de Moura and Marlon Sorto in Atlanta 

Two cruise ships with about 1,300 people on board are now quarantined off the coast of Chile as one passenger tested positive for coronavirus, Chile's Health Minister Jaime Manalich said during a press conference in Santiago on Saturday.

Manalich said an 83-year-old English man tested positive and is being treated at the Coyhaique hospital “in good condition." He was on board the Silver Explorer, a luxury expedition cruise ship.

The Silver Explorer is now docked in the city of Castro, the minister said.

The vessel is carrying 111 passengers and 120 crew members, according to Chilean officials.

And a second ship, the Azamara Pursuit, has not reported any cases but remains under quarantine; there are two suspected cases on that ship.

“We have a cruise ship with the name of Azamara which originated in the Argentinean city of Ushuaia that began its journey on March 8 carrying 675 passengers and 389 crewmembers,” the minister said.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-14-20-intl-hnk/index.html

This page has constantly new info added so you may need to scroll down to find this short article

We want to clarify that the statement from Chile’s Health Minister Jamie Manalich in a press conference earlier today in Santiago about Azamara being quarantined is not accurate or factual. Following RCCL’s announcement yesterday to suspend current cruises and new cruise itineraries for 30-days, Azamara is currently working on disembarking all passengers to return home out of an abundance of caution, not because of quarantine.

We understand the uncertainty surrounding global travel and understand why there may be some concerns, but we’d like to reiterate that our main priority is the commitment to the health and safety of our guests and crew.
  • Like 1

I am currently on Pursuit headed toward Valparaíso. Captain Carl has said that we will be allowed to disembark in Valparaíso.  Fingers crossed. 

While this is a disappointing end to our voyage, I will say that the always hard working crew on board has worked harder on this cruise than I have ever seen them work. They stayed friendly and cheerful even though you could see the fatigue wearing on them. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, btaylor1200 said:

I am currently on Pursuit headed toward Valparaíso. Captain Carl has said that we will be allowed to disembark in Valparaíso.  Fingers crossed. 

While this is a disappointing end to our voyage, I will say that the always hard working crew on board has worked harder on this cruise than I have ever seen them work. They stayed friendly and cheerful even though you could see the fatigue wearing on them. 

If you are disembarking in Valparaiso, please note that the distance from Valparaiso to Santiago/Santiago airport is about 120 km. If you are flying back from Santiago airport to your respective home cities, please make sure that Azamara has also arranged transfer from Valparaiso to Santiago airport. 

Correct me if I am mistaken but Valparaiso port, from what I remembered, it does not have a lot of transport facilities to transfer cruise passengers from the port to Santiago Airport. Any few taxis there are, the fares are sky high.

WARNING ON DISEMBARKING AND ENTERING CHILE

Plus, Chile is very STRICT on what it does not allow to be taken through customs, with heavy fines if you break their rule (law)? Their rule is probably one of the strictest in the whole world, no kidding. That includes prohibiting the entry of practically all foodstuffs and items made of wood. Before disembarking in Valparaiso, on the ship, I cleaned my suitcase three times. Some years before that, I might have a packet of crisps, a bar or chocolate , or  an  apple, or something , in the suite case, so the scent was still there (even though the "offending" item is long gone). At Valparaiso cruise terminal, the security Alsatian dogs smelt that scent , I was taken aside and my suit case was checked. Fortunately, they let me through when they found nothing, but I felt really uncomfortable.

SO PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU HAVE IN YOUR SUITCASE WHEN YOU GO THROUGH VALPARAISO CRUISE TERMINAL.

Edited by Cahpek
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am also currently on the Pursuit and the staff, crew and officers have been magnificent.   It’s unfortunate we have to disembark a week early, as I feel we are much safer from any virus while on board than on land.   I hope that the crews of the empty ships will be taken care of.

I have to say, I am impressed with how passengers are conducting themselves.   I haven’t seen anyone looking angry or frustrated (although the slow internet certainly is trying at times).   Everyone seems to be happy and smiling, and we are sure that Azamara will get us home one way or another.

Cheers to all of you on land - the bars are open on the Pursuit and we are going to party till we disembark on the 17th.

• Like 5

The captain will be updating us at noon - I am sure they are scrambling to find a country that will let us in.   All of us that arranged new flights home yesterday from Santiago are wishing we had waited.  

All in all, the atmosphere on the ship is quite jovial.   We know we are safe from the virus while afloat, and I for one hope they just sail us right to the U.S. or Canada, saving us the long, miserable flight home.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BrendaJ said:

Looks like Chile changed their minds and will allow us to disembark in Valparaiso on Tuesday as long as we head straight to the airport and get out.   Whew!

That’s good news, and I’m glad to hear Pursuit still has a happy ship. With all that’s going on, there’s no doubt the onboard crew and management will continue to provide the best experience possible. Safe travels home!

• Like 1

The article posted by the OP is not completely factual. No one is quarantined. No one wearing masks. We are moving about, doing everything we normally do on a cruise ship. The only difference is that we’re waiting on a final, definitive decision to find out when and where we will disembark. We have food, beverages, and plenty of tp. What more could we ask for 😀 Azamara is giving everyone onboard a 50% refund and a 50% FCC.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Rabo said:

The article posted by the OP is not completely factual. No one is quarantined. No one wearing masks. We are moving about, doing everything we normally do on a cruise ship. The only difference is that we’re waiting on a final, definitive decision to find out when and where we will disembark. We have food, beverages, and plenty of tp. What more could we ask for 😀 Azamara is giving everyone onboard a 50% refund and a 50% FCC.

Most of the other cruise lines are giving 100% refund and 100% FCC.  One of them is giving a 125%.

DON

It's a horrid scenario for Pursuit. Celebrity Eclipse which isn't far away is being denied at San Antonio and sailing around in circles. It was due to debark/embark guests yesterday. Captain Carl is going to have to do some very good sweet talking!

Best of luck to all of you. 

Phil 

8E87DE42-1B57-4364-9151-7A6D07DFB43D.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

It's a horrid scenario for Pursuit. Celebrity Eclipse which isn't far away is being denied at San Antonio and sailing around in circles. It was due to debark/embark guests yesterday. Captain Carl is going to have to do some very good sweet talking!

Best of luck to all of you. 

Phil 

Wish Captain Carl is the Prime Minister of the UK, instead of the PM which we have got at the moment. Captain Carl would at least instil confidence and leadership to the British public during this time of uncertainty. (By the way, if I recall, Captain Carl is English).

Edited by Cahpek
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

The U.K. government have said that Coronavirus stricken Fred Olsen’s ship Braemar is now heading towards Cuba where flights are being arranged for passengers to come home. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/braemar-cruise-ship-foreign-office-statement?fbclid=IwAR3E5YEIUMqNvGQNZy_zc2X3RNn3RwxNyDUh21UnYNw-_67Y9A4SrQ9nJTE

To keep it relevant to this thread, Braemar has Covid-19 cases onboard. There are no cases of Covid-19 on Pursuit. 

Phil 

• Like 1

I did say “Coronavirus stricken Braemar” Phil. They presently have 41 crew and passengers displaying Covid-19 symptoms, including the doctor onboard. 

Just giving options of how other cruise lines are handling very difficult situations re getting their passengers home. I also think Cuba deserves some praise for helping out in this humanitarian effort,  when every other Caribbean island has denied the Braemar passengers entry. 

Let’s hope Pursuit passengers are on their way home very soon.  

• Like 3