Airfare question after cruise cancelled

Zesty Italian

4 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

I had two cruise flights -- both Business on UA -- Outbound was MIA to SIN and return was SFO to MCO.  Both non refundable.  First UA agent said they would wave change fees.  SFO ticket was useless since it was booked in July last year.  Went back and forth with customer service and they did a refund after providing proof that cruise was cancelled plus my Company issued a quarantine for anyone going to Asia.

So it pays to go back in forth with CS before you cancel.  Note most airlines have the usual if they change the flight (2 hour rule) they will waive any change or refund fees.  So it does you no good to immediately cancel unless there is a benefit.

Regarding O's policy on ticket cancellations.  They will pay the CHANGE FEE after you rebook and pay the fee to the airline for up up to 1 year. They WILL NOT pay cancellation fees, mileage redeposit fees or anything other than CHANGE FEES.

The refused to pay for my FF redeposit fees.

Please clarify further. In particular, did you let your TA make the "change fee" request or did you do it yourself (TAs do seem to have more clout)? 

IMO, if an upcoming Nautica/Insignia Asia region cruise was cancelled by O, the DIY air "change" should realistically be cancellation and not just an itinerary change (to nowhere).  

I guess Oceania could take the position that you'd need to book another cruise and use the same airline - hence their paying only for a change fee. But, your new cruise may be to a region not serviced by that original airline or not be able to meet certain restrictions..

As aforementioned, we have two affected cruises.

Via our TA, for O cancelled SIN--HKG-NRT Insignia cruise, we've already requested O coverage of $250/person cancel fees Philippine Air is deducting from its approved refund of our  bizclass tickets. We shall see...

And, FWIW, Philippine Air doesn't have a reasonable (financial/logistical/etc) way to get to our next O cruise ports (Athens/Dubai in November). Plus we've already got those airtix from UA.

As for our recent Nautica cruise: As soon as we find out (from TA who packaged our flights with pre-cruise trip) what Cathay Pacific is doing about any refund of the unused tix SIN-HKG-SFO flight home (since our Nautica cruise went to Dubai instead and we used UA FF miles to get home), we'll have the cruise TA ask for O reimbursement of any cancel fee charged by Cathay (which had no flights out of Dubai on March 4 and nothing that didn't go through HKG in the days that followed).

yes...   we shall see.......

17 hours ago, osandomir said:

I understand that if you’re rebooking right away United is OK to waive the fees per their current policy. To cancel award tickets entirely is a different story...

That wasn't my experience a few weeks ago.  I had used United FF miles to book flights with Lufthansa & Singapore Air from MIA-->SIN, and then with Swiss Air for DXB-->MIA for an NCL 20-night cruise from Singapore to Dubai.  However, when NCL cancelled the cruise on Feb. 19th, 2 days before I was scheduled to fly to Singapore, I called United and they waived the fees to redeposit the miles.  These were actually two separate one-way tickets that I had purchased and the agent said right away that the MIA-SIN fee would be waived since it was a flight to Asia, but then he had to check with a supervisor to see if the fee for the DXB-->MIA ticket could be waived.  He put me on hold for about 2 minutes and then came back on and told me the fee would be waived as an exception.  Moreover, United refunded the $186 ($93pp) I paid in addition to the miles when I bought the tickets.  My only out-of-pocket expenses for the since-cancelled flights were the $320 I paid directly to Swiss Air for seat purchases.  Swiss Air would not waive those charges, but NCL reimbursed me in full under their policy to cover up to $300pp in airline "change" fees.

I subsequently decided to fly directly to Dubai for a substitute cruise and hotel stay, and booked nonstop r/t tickets on Emirates using cash.  I have not rebooked anything with United using those redeposited FF miles.

1 hour ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

I had used United FF miles to book flights with Lufthansa & Singapore Air from MIA-->SIN,

Out of curiosity, was your Singapore award ticket in economy or business? I don't believe Singapore makes business awards available for UA miles but things might have changed.

One other thing to keep in mind is if your airline changes your flight(s) more then 1 hour they will allow you to cancel  for free (revenue and award tickets).  AA has also done it for me when it was less then one hour but it was unreasonable for me to make my connecting flight.

It sounds like many are in the same "boat" and I'm sorry you have lost such large sums of money.  Also, sounds like some people have gotten around the changing rules which is great.  Appreciate the ideas.  Does anyone know if those of us in the latest round of Mar./Apr. cancellations are getting $300 change fees from O?  It doesn't say that in the statement we received.

18 minutes ago, azdrydock said:

One other thing to keep in mind is if your airline changes your flight(s) more then 1 hour they will allow you to cancel  for free (revenue and award tickets).  AA has also done it for me when it was less then one hour but it was unreasonable for me to make my connecting flight.

Nope. That rule change is now gone. Each airline has different parameters that change on a daily basis. Nothing that has been done in the past applies anymore, only what is happening on the day you call. No one even knows which airlines will survive.

7 minutes ago, Zesty Italian said:

It sounds like many are in the same "boat" and I'm sorry you have lost such large sums of money.  Also, sounds like some people have gotten around the changing rules which is great.  Appreciate the ideas.  Does anyone know if those of us in the latest round of Mar./Apr. cancellations are getting $300 change fees from O?  It doesn't say that in the statement we received.

Someone will correct me if  wrong  but AFAIK  if you change your air  you submit the form to Oceania for the up to   $300 fee to be reimbursed

On 3/15/2020 at 10:44 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Please clarify further. In particular, did you let your TA make the "change fee" request or did you do it yourself (TAs do seem to have more clout)? 

Both ways me first TA second.  Same answer.  Redeposit fees are not change fees.

n 3/16/2020 at 1:55 PM, susiesan said:

Nope. That rule change is now gone. Each airline has different parameters that change on a daily basis. Nothing that has been done in the past applies anymore, only what is happening on the day you call. No one even knows which airlines will survive.

Yes the rule change has changed UA moved it to 25 hours.

HOWEVER -- it is the far rule when you purchased the ticket that governs.

Edited by PaulMCO

1 minute ago, PaulMCO said:

Basically it followed a two hour rule.

Interestingly enough, I just today heard from my SIL whose UA flight for May changed and she inquired about a refund.

She got the ticket in August 2019 and was told that the rule in place then was 6 hours and her flight changed for only 4hrs - no refund.

She can change at no fee and the ticket will be valid til 3/2021 (a year from now) rather than a year from purchase (Aug 2019).

Ever changing rules - hard to keep up with.

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Interestingly enough, I just today heard from my SIL whose UA flight for May changed and she inquired about a refund.

She got the ticket in August 2019 and was told that the rule in place then was 6 hours and her flight changed for only 4hrs - no refund.

She can change at no fee and the ticket will be valid til 3/2021 (a year from now) rather than a year from purchase (Aug 2019).

Most cases I accept the change.  Last time it was a 3 hour change that got me in at 3am instead of midnight.  That one I had to fight. In the end they put me on an earlier flight.

With UA you have to argue.  I go back to the ticket and pull up the rules.  Most cases you will find no time in the terms. If the agent refuses, then I go to Customer Service.  Again I have status, either 1K or GS depending on my flying year. If CS says no, I go to the 1K voice, if that fails I go file a DOT complain, where you will get a phone call from their Exec Offices.

I was really surprised that UA did a refund for my purchased flights for May/July for our cancelled cruise. It took an email to 1K voice to do so.  But I did get a refund within 7 days.

If I had tried this week, I know it would not have happened. When you are on life support as they are now, their flexibility goes away.

We just got an email form the transatlantic portion of our trip.  Said if we don't want to fly on our Rome to Chicago flight we have 2 options. (Not sure how there will be a Rome to ORD flight) Option 1 is to change our ticket without penalty to another date.  Option 2 is to get a voucher for payment (can't find time limit etc.).  I'm still shaking my head.  Isn't that 2 ways of saying the same thing?  We have to use the ticket in some amount of time??  Hope I'm not brain dead and just don't understand.

Interesting note form Paul about getting an extension for a year not from purchase.  Really hard to get a different answer from every person you talk to.  Glad it worked for her.

5 hours ago, Zesty Italian said:

We just got an email form the transatlantic portion of our trip.  Said if we don't want to fly on our Rome to Chicago flight we have 2 options. (Not sure how there will be a Rome to ORD flight) Option 1 is to change our ticket without penalty to another date.  Option 2 is to get a voucher for payment (can't find time limit etc.).  I'm still shaking my head.  Isn't that 2 ways of saying the same thing?  We have to use the ticket in some amount of time??  Hope I'm not brain dead and just don't understand.

Interesting note form Paul about getting an extension for a year not from purchase.  Really hard to get a different answer from every person you talk to.  Glad it worked for her.

There is indeed a difference,

There is a difference.  If you chose the ticket.  The expiration is 1 year from the original ticket date. Of course when you rebook you may have to pay a fare difference or if there is money left you get a voucher on UA.

Typically, the voucher is good for 1 year from issuance.  However if it is UA the voucher is only valid on UA flights only.  So no code shares or non UA connections (like going to Venice - UA to Frankfurt and then Frankfurt to Venice on LH).

Edited by PaulMCO

On 3/19/2020 at 9:40 AM, Paulchili said:

Amen. 

• 2 weeks later...

I originally posted our problem with AA.  After reading all of your experiences, we called AA back.  Was on hold for over an hour, but was given a different answer this time.  They first told us we'd get a ticket extension for 1 yr. from purchase.  Now they were willing to extend for 6 mos.  That would be Nov..  I mentioned that some people on our cruise said they got a yr.  He checked 3 different times for various rules.  Said he couldn't find that, but we should call back in May to talk.  So at least we got another 6 mos. and they may be willing to extend.  It seems to be worthwhile to call back.

3 hours ago, Zesty Italian said:

I originally posted our problem with AA.  After reading all of your experiences, we called AA back.  Was on hold for over an hour, but was given a different answer this time.  They first told us we'd get a ticket extension for 1 yr. from purchase.  Now they were willing to extend for 6 mos.  That would be Nov..  I mentioned that some people on our cruise said they got a yr.  He checked 3 different times for various rules.  Said he couldn't find that, but we should call back in May to talk.  So at least we got another 6 mos. and they may be willing to extend.  It seems to be worthwhile to call back.

Glad you got further - good luck in May

Were you not offered the call back service? I was the first two times and it worked out great - no need to hold. They called back within a couple of minutes of the estimated time of 45 and 39 minutes IIRC.

And yesterday evening I called to see if there was any status on my refund (was thinking I might change it to a credit if that was simpler but realized I would likely just make things worse) and the call was picked up in seconds after answering the prompts. I so surprised I stumbled over hello

You were offered a refund?  I thought you were one of the people told 1 yr. from date of purchase like us. That's great!  Hope it works out for you.  We have had differing experiences with hold or call back.  The call backs have been great.  Only able to get them twice.

My flights June 24 to Copenhagen purchased with UA miles have a waiver attached to them now. I can cancel and get the miles redeposited. I would have to pay the redeposit fee, but if I call and ask nicely I am sure I can get the fee waived. The return flights from Stockholm for July 8 do not have the waiver notice yet. The trips were booked as one way awards on separate records. This is what it says on online:

A travel waiver is in effect for your reservation.

To make changes now, select “Change flight” below. To rebook travel later, select “Cancel flight” and you’ll be able to rebook with change fees waived. View the waiver details for more information.

5 minutes ago, susiesan said:

My flights June 24 to Copenhagen purchased with UA miles have a waiver attached to them now. I can cancel and get the miles redeposited. I would have to pay the redeposit fee,

Was your flight on UA metal or a partner (like SAS)?

Where does it talk about award cancellations - all I see is for paid tickets.

Edited by Paulchili

14 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Was your flight on UA metal or a partner (like SAS)?

Where does it talk about award cancellations - all I see is for paid tickets.

MCI-BRU is on UA, BRU-CPH is on SAS.

To cancel award tickets and get the miles re deposited you have to call in, you cannot do it online. You have to find a time to call in and be prepared to be on hold for hours and hours. I will take care of cancelling both the outbound and return trips with the same call. If I talk nicely to the agent I may get their sympathy and get them to waive the re deposit fee. They will be able to see that I have 4 more award trips booked with them for the future, to Namibia in September and to Tahiti in January.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

To cancel award tickets and get the miles re deposited you have to call in, you cannot do it online. You have to find a time to call in and be prepared to be on hold for hours and hours

Thanks.

I have an award flight on TAP with UA miles that will have to be cancelled shortly. I wonder if it will be TAP or UA that I will have to deal with - I am assuming UA to redeposit miles..

Paul, you will have to deal with UA. They issued the tickets. Call them to cancel and get the miles redeposited.  Do not cancel online or on the app. Try calling in the evenings or on a Sunday morning as the wait times can be less. Let us know how it goes.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Paul, you will have to deal with UA. They issued the tickets. Call them to cancel and get the miles redeposited.  Do not cancel online or on the app. Try calling in the evenings or on a Sunday morning as the wait times can be less. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks