Yet Another Future CRUISE Question

Sorry y'all.  We are in the middle of deciding to either cancel our June cruise now or wait and see what happens by mid-May.  A number of questions have popped up.  First, I know that to preserve our insurance premium (third party), I need to rebook a cruise before our sailing date.   But my question is, if we don't, and we choose the Future Cruise Credit option, I have read that Insurance won't cover the value of an FCC.  So what happens if you get sick after Final Payment and have to cancel?  Are you on the hook for the value of the FCC, or only the cash portion of the cruise?  In other words, does Regent consider FCC similar to Frequent Flier Points that get "re-deposited" into your account if you cancel the cruise? Also, I thought I read that the FCC can only be used on NEW bookings.  Is that correct?   This might be a big part of my decision.  

Thanks for any information.  I know we're hitting all sides of this disaster, and it changes daily, but need to start making a "plan B" or even a "plan c-z."

56 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Sorry y'all.  We are in the middle of deciding to either cancel our June cruise now or wait and see what happens by mid-May.  A number of questions have popped up.  First, I know that to preserve our insurance premium (third party), I need to rebook a cruise before our sailing date.   But my question is, if we don't, and we choose the Future Cruise Credit option, I have read that Insurance won't cover the value of an FCC.  So what happens if you get sick after Final Payment and have to cancel?  Are you on the hook for the value of the FCC, or only the cash portion of the cruise?  In other words, does Regent consider FCC similar to Frequent Flier Points that get "re-deposited" into your account if you cancel the cruise? Also, I thought I read that the FCC can only be used on NEW bookings.  Is that correct?   This might be a big part of my decision.  

Thanks for any information.  I know we're hitting all sides of this disaster, and it changes daily, but need to start making a "plan B" or even a "plan c-z."

Surely depends on where the cruise is scheduled to sail to?

Without that info hard to answer. The UK government is talking about  the peak in 8 weeks and self isolating for over 70's and those with medical conditions for 14 weeks, so things are not likely to really settle till August time. US seems to be behind this Europe curve so June must be touch and go. No new insurance will cover this until this crisis has passed.

Also depends on your ages, the risk factor for age groups varies enormously and your medical history.

From the UK today, it seems unlikely anything will resolve for 6 months.

Sorry to be like this but realistic expectation is now being applied in Europe. Of more concern what will remain of tourist industry , airlines, cruise lines after this?

Keep well

• Like 2

If at all possible, you should try to change the dates of your policy to whatever the new cruise date is.  If you do not do so, you are quite correct, you will not be able to insure the value of the FCC.  And in order to change the dates, yes, it must be done before you June cruise sails.  In addition, there are time limits for how long the insurance company will allow a transfer.  

At this point, I think the best strategy is to not cancel your June cruise and get FCC now, since the possibility exists that Regent will cancel the cruise and give you an option to get a cash refund (or additional FCCs).  In that case, you will have more options.  If the timing works out, you can transfer the policy and lose nothing.  If it does not, you can purchase a new policy (yay) but lose the premium that you paid for the old one (boo).  Another question- did you use a credit card that provides travel insurance to book the June cruise?  I do not know for certain whether this is portable to a new cruise when FCC is used.   I have queried Chase Card services and have not received a response yet.

There are so many unknowns at this point-

• How long will cruises be suspended?  Almost certainly beyond the present April 11 announcement, but how much longer?
  • When cruises resume, surely there will be itinerary changes, what will they be?
  • At the present time, I do not believe that Regent has addressed the issue as to whether or not you can cancel a cruise that was rebooked using FCC and retain the credit.  (Does anyone have an answer to that?)  I have queried Regent about that issue and have not received a response yet.

I am booked on the Mariner for June 4 Alaska.  I think that the chances of this sailing going as scheduled is slim to none.  But my plan is to wait  until there is more clarity before making changes.

• Like 1

The first part of last week my wife and I decided to cancel our San Diego to Miami cruise on Splendor and take the then offered Regent Reassurance FCC of 100% which we applied to another cruise later this year.  Regent credited the 100% adjusted FCC.

A couple of days later Regent announced their "Enhanced Reassurance Plan" which offered a 100% cash refund or a 125% FCC.  I asked my TA to go back to Regent and request the additional 25% FCC since we swaped our cruise only two days before the enhanced program was offered.

So far Regent has refused to give the additional credit which would amount to several thousand dollars.  Our new cruise departs before September 30th so should Regent want to play hard ball we should have some leverage.  Also, the cruise to which we moved has begun to really open up.

Regent needs to go back and re-examine their policy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Bob, we are booked On this beautiful cruise as well. I am unable to come up with any way this cruise could proceed. If this cruise is cancelled is it correct to believe a total refund would be offered?

also, if the cruise is cancelled, it seems reasonable to me that a portion of the insurance premium would be refunded. I can only hope!

1 hour ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Surely depends on where the cruise is scheduled to sail to?

Without that info hard to answer. The UK government is talking about  the peak in 8 weeks and self isolating for over 70's and those with medical conditions for 14 weeks, so things are not likely to really settle till August time. US seems to be behind this Europe curve so June must be touch and go. No new insurance will cover this until this crisis has passed.

Also depends on your ages, the risk factor for age groups varies enormously and your medical history.

From the UK today, it seems unlikely anything will resolve for 6 months.

Sorry to be like this but realistic expectation is now being applied in Europe. Of more concern what will remain of tourist industry , airlines, cruise lines after this?

Keep well

Thanks.  We are scheduled to sail on a B2B starting in Montreal-New York on June 5 then New York - Dublin on June 15.  So the British Isles ports are my biggest issue.  If we can't what we want then no point in taking the cruise this year.  

We already have an insurance policy in force.  That is part of my concern.  If we change to a new cruise I may be able to switch the dates and keep this policy.  If we take an FCC then we'll lose the premium on the policy.  But will we be able to cover the FCC with a new policy or not.  That is the question.  I have read that FCC is NOT insurable.  Anyway, dynamic times.  This will all change on a daily basis.  

5 minutes ago, bissel said:

Hi Bob, we are booked On this beautiful cruise as well. I am unable to come up with any way this cruise could proceed. If this cruise is cancelled is it correct to believe a total refund would be offered?

also, if the cruise is cancelled, it seems reasonable to me that a portion of the insurance premium would be refunded. I can only hope!

I'm pretty sure the insurance company would refund any premium, because they feel they did what you wanted insurance the trip.  They think if they move the insurance to another cruise they are helping you out and giving insurance for a longer period of time.

This isn't a popular answer about FFC at 100%.  If you cancelled before Regent cancelled you made a choice and excepted Regents offer before Regent made another offer of 125%.  I took their offer on my Barcelona cruise and don't except the additional 25% if they cancel next week.  We all have our reasons for canceling, but should except more from Regent(it would be nice, but).  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bissel said:

bissel, the only way that this cruise can proceed is if they can arrange a technical stop in a Canadian port that could circumvent the Jones Act, or if Congress grants a temporary waiver for cruise lines, AND they are able to change the debarkation port from Vancouver to Seattle.  Not likely, but who knows?  Then, it would be up to us to decide if we want to cancel and take 100% FCC.

There is no official policy, to the best of my knowledge, as to what we get if Regent cancels the cruise, most likely it would be what they are doing for those that already are cancelled, which is a choice of a full refund, or 125% FCC.

As for insurance, this is on the Allianz web site, haven't checked others, but I imagine it is similar:

PLAN REFUND INFORMATION

Customers may change their plan’s effective dates to cover a new or rescheduled trip.  Alternatively, for a temporary period, we are offering refunds for the cost of your travel protection plan to customers who wish to cancel their travel protection plan if the customer’s travel supplier canceled the customer’s trip due to COVID-19, so long as no payable claim has been filed under the plan.  Please call us at the number listed on your plan and we will be happy to assist you.

So if Regent cancels before you cancel, you should get a refund of your policy or change the date, your choice.  All the more reason to wait and see what happens.

48 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Thanks.  We are scheduled to sail on a B2B starting in Montreal-New York on June 5 then New York - Dublin on June 15.  So the British Isles ports are my biggest issue.  If we can't what we want then no point in taking the cruise this year.  

We already have an insurance policy in force.  That is part of my concern.  If we change to a new cruise I may be able to switch the dates and keep this policy.  If we take an FCC then we'll lose the premium on the policy.  But will we be able to cover the FCC with a new policy or not.  That is the question.  I have read that FCC is NOT insurable.  Anyway, dynamic times.  This will all change on a daily basis.  

I see no possibility of Montreal to NY going as scheduled.  It is basically a Canadian cruise, and Canada is closed to cruise ships until at least July.

I just want to clarify- if you use the FCC to book a new cruise prior to June 5, you can keep the policy with a change of dates,  adjusting only for the premium for the fare difference.  This, as mentioned, provided that the date of the new cruise is not in excess of the insurance company's deadline.  If you let June 5 pass, then you will not be able to insure the FCC portion of the new cruise.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

This isn't a popular answer about FFC at 100%.  If you cancelled before Regent cancelled you made a choice and excepted Regents offer before Regent made another offer of 125%.  I took their offer on my Barcelona cruise and don't except the additional 25% if they cancel next week.  We all have our reasons for canceling, but should except more from Regent(it would be nice, but).  

I will join your unpopular club and agree with what you say.  I also cancelled my San Diego to Miami for the 100% FCC.  I agreed to the terms of their offer.  Those that chose to not cancel, and learned at the last minute that the cruise was cancelled experienced more inconvenience and I have no issue with the fact that they received better compensation than I.

• Like 2

Bob, thanks for your always thoughtful ideas. I think we will wait until much closer to sailing before taking some action.

I know Alaska is quite financially anxious for cruise business but I would imagine that such an influx of people in early June can’t be very welcome to these relatively small towns.

The pre-cruise land program must be in jeopardy too. I can’t imagine the Harlens wanting to continue with this. I don’t really know about that as we are not participating in this.

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

On what ship is your cruise? Canada has closed its ports to "big" cruise ships ( defined as 500 people or more) until July 1st

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

On what ship is your cruise? Canada has closed its ports to "big" cruise ships ( defined as 500 people or more) until July 1st

The 500 people rule includes both passengers and crew, so I doubt whether there are many, or any cruise ships of the major lines that would qualify.

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Agreed.

I'm didn't cancel and let them make my decision for me, now I'm just on the fence about 125% FCC or full refund.

Also, as an aside Canada has closed its borders to all foreign nationals except Americans and goods for trade.

Edited by slidebite

3 hours ago, shuguley said:

A couple of days later Regent announced their "Enhanced Reassurance Plan" which offered a 100% cash refund or a 125% FCC.

I am not aware that Regent have amended their "Reassurance" offer. It remains at 100%FCC* if the guest chooses to cancel up to 48hrs prior to departure.

125%FCC was offered at the point when Regent cancelled. Unfortunately if the guest had already chosen to cancel and accepted the Reassurance offer then ................. sorry!!

* Note that 100%FCC appears to mean different things in different countries 🙄

44 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

I am not aware that Regent have amended their "Reassurance" offer. It remains at 100%FCC* if the guest chooses to cancel up to 48hrs prior to departure.

125%FCC was offered at the point when Regent cancelled. Unfortunately if the guest had already chosen to cancel and accepted the Reassurance offer then ................. sorry!!

* Note that 100%FCC appears to mean different things in different countries 🙄

To the best of  my knowledge, there is no "enhanced reassurance " plan.  Those booked on the cruises that Regent cancelled, specifically those set to sail prior to April 11 were offered the 125% or full cash refund.  For those of us that cancelled beforehand, we get the 100% that we agreed to take.  As of this moment, those that cancel their remaining cruises prior to Sept 30 will receive 100% FCC.  Of course, this is subject to change at any time.

My very sincere apologies that all of the above applies to US residents, I really can't comment on what applies to others.  Can you tell us how the policy differs for UK consumers?

• Like 1

We are (were?) booked on the May 28 Splendor cruise, BCN to Rome, and our TA just pinged us today asking if our air accommodations were acceptable.  I was like, "What, you REALLY think that ship is gonna sail?  And the ports will be open?!?"  And she thought yes, things are quite possible.  I'm guessing she's having to keep a positive outlook until the plug is officially pulled, but I seriously don't see ANY way Splendor will be sailing out of Barcelona in 73 days...

42 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

We are (were?) booked on the May 28 Splendor cruise, BCN to Rome, and our TA just pinged us today asking if our air accommodations were acceptable.  I was like, "What, you REALLY think that ship is gonna sail?  And the ports will be open?!?"  And she thought yes, things are quite possible.  I'm guessing she's having to keep a positive outlook until the plug is officially pulled, but I seriously don't see ANY way Splendor will be sailing out of Barcelona in 73 days...

I would say you're  being a realist and your TA has to keep a pretense of normalcy going forward, which I can understand

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

Can you tell us how the policy differs for UK consumers?

Regent Reassurance in the UK includes the wording:

“................. guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit (excluding air and Concierge Collection arrangements if applicable), which can be applied .................”

Not sure why the “free” (included) air and other items are excluded or how the cost deductions are being calculated .................. but it is what it is 😕

5 hours ago, boblerm said:

I see no possibility of Montreal to NY going as scheduled.  It is basically a Canadian cruise, and Canada is closed to cruise ships until at least July.

I just want to clarify- if you use the FCC to book a new cruise prior to June 5, you can keep the policy with a change of dates,  adjusting only for the premium for the fare difference.  This, as mentioned, provided that the date of the new cruise is not in excess of the insurance company's deadline.  If you let June 5 pass, then you will not be able to insure the FCC portion of the new cruise.

Thanks... just one point, probably moot.  Canada is closed (last I heard) to ship with more than 500 passengers.  Navigator is 490 so could still be on.  But I suspect that won't be the case.  If we cancel, I plan to cruise next year of 2022. So should be within the Insurance company's time frame.  Now if I can just get through to them. 

5 hours ago, boblerm said:

The 500 people rule includes both passengers and crew, so I doubt whether there are many, or any cruise ships of the major lines that would qualify.

Just saw that. It is a bit confusing on the web, but I believe you're right.  Oh well... that may make that choice for me. 😞