When will refund be issued?

sonshn

We cancelled our May 23rd cruise 2 weeks ago prior HA changing their refund policy. We have premium insurance. We have not yet received our 90% refund. Does anybody know how long it takes for refund to show up?

Refund experience seems to be very varied.  Some are quick and some are not.  I’m still waiting too.  Other friends on the cruise have been refunded.

There was a recent thread asking the same question that you might find helpful.  Here is the link - 

When I cancelled my May cruise a couple of weeks ago I asked that the proceeds be used to pay for a December cruise. That was done almost immediately. The amount that was left over after paying off the December cruise was promised in 10 - 15 working days, or basically three weeks.

1 minute ago, cruiseing marly said:

Never bought Holland America insurance . I do Think it’s usually a cheque as the business  is separate from the cruise line. What good would the insurance be if it was invalid if the cruise line went into  bankruptcy .

What HAL sells in not, for the most part, insurance. The plan where you get 80% back (regular) is just a means of recovering part of you money if you can't go for any reason. The "Platinum" Plan is the same except it returns 90% and at 24 hours prior to sailing becomes an insurance policy from a third party. Up until 24 hours before sailing it is simply cancel protection provided by HAL

On 3/16/2020 at 10:20 AM, sonshn said:

We cancelled our May 23rd cruise 2 weeks ago prior HA changing their refund policy. We have premium insurance. We have not yet received our 90% refund. Does anybody know how long it takes for refund to show up?

sonshn:  We canceled our May 24th sailing on March 8 and, as of this morning, had still not seen any refund.  This morning, I called HAL and was transferred to the Accounting Dept.  The accounting representative made it sound like the refund process had never been activated when we called to cancel, and she had to do it for me this morning.  After she spent about 5-10 minutes working with the reservation, she said we should see our refund within 5-7 days.

The bottom line:  It is good I called, because that money was NOT on its way to us until I made my follow-up phone call today.

I hope this helps!

I did call and was told they are very very slowly working through the queue in order of when the cancellation was done. They said it’s unprecedented and did not have a timeframe but that they are diligently working through the pile. 

So we’ll see. 

Andrea

I canceled our cruise on Friday, March 13. I received credit for my shore excursions on my CC today. Still haven't received my port taxes and fees back to my CC, though. My cruise was on March 21, 2020.

Edited by dmcfad2

4 hours ago, KroozNut said:

How will we know when FCC is applied, and will it be visible in our online accounts somewhere?

Curious too...

All our pre-purchase items, and port tax has been refunded to our CC, but I cant seem to find any reference to the entire  cruise refund  in the form of FCC credit any where on our HAL account page ???

Any one know where it's supposed to show ?

Srpilo

In response to my email, I received the following from HAL:

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line.

You will receive e-mailed notification of your Future Cruise Credits once they have been applied. Although these credits are attached to your Mariner number, they will not be viewable in your account online.

Please be sure to advise your travel professional or the Holland America Line reservation agent you wish to use your FCC and provide them with your Mariner number.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

I have same fears.  What if they file for bankruptcy protection.?

We are just unsecured creditors and it would be up to a judge assuming there is anything left after secured creditors are paid off.

I am not that concerned as CCL has the most assets of the big 3.  they could sell a few of the older ships and pay everyone if they have to.  I would be much more concerned with FCC but I think CCL will survive this...….somehow.....some way...….and so will we!

• 1 month later...

This topic seems to have fizzled out, as all the posts are dated in March.  However, it is now May7th.  We cancelled on March12th.  I called my TA to follow up a week or two later.  She was told it had been processed and sometimes got held up at the CC side.  We called our CC company to make sure, but to date, we have not received any refund or any communication from HAL.  I called again a month ago and was told refunds typically take 30 to 60 days, AFTER being told it had been processed!  Tuesday next week will be 60 days.  Friends who booked with us on the same cruise received their refund 4 days after cancelling.  I guess this wheel will just have to squeak some more - hate to do that to our TA as she is a good friend and as frazzled as the rest of us with all that is going on.