"Cruise with Confidence" and Flights by Celebrity?

39august

I understand that if we cancel a cruise under this plan that we get future cruise credit for the price of the cruise.  What happens to the Celebrity air fare if we cancel after we have made final payment for the cruise and the air, please?

If you chose a non-refundable airfare when booking with Celebrity Air, you will not get a refund of your airfare.  What you will get is whatever future credit the particular airline is offering, i.e. the value of your flight to be used by a certain date - again, depending on the airline.

4 minutes ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

If Celebrity cancels the cruise my understanding they will refund cruiseline air

OntarioCruiser

Only if the refundable option was purchased. They are much more expensive. That's one reason I book my own as I use points.

4 minutes ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

I think you are incorrect  maybe someone who had cruise cancelled by Celebrity can tell us. 

Ontario Cruiser

If cruiseline purchases a non refundable fare for their guest why would the airline refund the flight amount unless of course the cruiseline picks up the shortfall. Seems logical but I dont know except for my Apex cruise they asked me if I wanted them to book flights and said I can choose non refundable which was cheaper. 

8 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

If cruiseline purchases a non refundable fare for their guest why would the airline refund the flight amount unless of course the cruiseline picks up the shortfall. Seems logical but I dont know except for my Apex cruise they asked me if I wanted them to book flights and said I can choose non refundable which was cheaper. 

I just  read Celebrity info to TA and they will be refunding airfare. Waiting for them to cancel the Trans Atlantic  crossing

OntarioCruiser

15 minutes ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

I think you are incorrect  maybe someone who had cruise cancelled by Celebrity can tell us. 

Ontario Cruiser

I just looked up info for another cruise line and if you book flights with them for cruises you have the option of adding flight insurance for changes/cancellations.  As I said I don't really know as not gone that route but doubt the cruiseline will be on the hook for the cost of your flight.

Their FAQ's really cover many of these questions.   If you are on one of the sailings which Celebrity cancelled then they will include the air refundable or nonrefundable.

If you cancel using the Cruise with Confidence program and had non-refundable air with Flights by Celebrity then you have to go to the air carrier yourself for refund/voucher depending on airline policy.

Q: What items are refundable on the canceled or suspended sailings?

A: Refunds will be provided for refundable air, non-refundable air, prepaid gratuities, CruiseCare®, pre- and post-cruise hotels booked through Celebrity Cruises, transfers booked through Celebrity Cruises, and any pre-cruise purchases made through Cruise Planner. Galapagos packages are booked as a package. The Future Cruise Credit is based on the value of the full package. If a guest has purchased non-refundable air travel through Flights by Celebrity and chooses to cancel under our Cruise with Confidence policy, they must contact their air carrier directly to receive any refund for canceled airfare. Guests own their air ticket and will need to contact their airline for a refund or air credit.

3 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Their FAQ's really cover many of these questions.   If you are on one of the sailings which Celebrity cancelled then they will include the air refundable or nonrefundable.

If you cancel using the Cruise with Confidence program and had non-refundable air with Flights by Celebrity then you have to go to the air carrier yourself for refund/voucher depending on airline policy.

Q: What items are refundable on the canceled or suspended sailings?

A: Refunds will be provided for refundable air, non-refundable air, prepaid gratuities, CruiseCare®, pre- and post-cruise hotels booked through Celebrity Cruises, transfers booked through Celebrity Cruises, and any pre-cruise purchases made through Cruise Planner. Galapagos packages are booked as a package. The Future Cruise Credit is based on the value of the full package. If a guest has purchased non-refundable air travel through Flights by Celebrity and chooses to cancel under our Cruise with Confidence policy, they must contact their air carrier directly to receive any refund for canceled airfare. Guests own their air ticket and will need to contact their airline for a refund or air credit.

That sums it all. Thanks for the clarity. 

The Cruise line only wants to keep all of your money.  Future cruise credit is a scam.  The refund process is also a scam.  Since when do you have to send a form in to choose refund of Future cruise credit.  don't forget the fact that refunds will take about 90 days to process, that's plenty of time for them to see what's going on with this corona virus and most of all plenty of time for them to choose to go bankrupt.  The bottom line is that cruise passengers will end up receiving nothing.  or maybe we will just get about eleven bucks from the settlement of a massive lawsuit

16 hours ago, drakes2 said:

If cruiseline purchases a non refundable fare for their guest why would the airline refund the flight amount

Probably because they buy in bulk and/or have special agreements from the airlines and may be subject to different terms and conditions that the general public who can only choose from regular, published fares.

13 hours ago, coolhandjiohnson said:

The Cruise line only wants to keep all of your money.  Future cruise credit is a scam. 

Take the FCC, schedule a future cruise, go on said cruise.  Where's the scam in that?

We were in PR when our cruise was canceled hours before boarding (Read about cancelation here 5 hours before we were contacted about 9:30 pm). We were offered a return flight the next day and told she had us in 4 seats together, a whole row and an isle. Flying PR Miami and Miami to LA. When I logged into the United app she actually had us in 4 middle seats in different parts of the plane Miami to LA. I would not have accepted this because it was not equivalent to what we had. Calling them back late night on the 13th would have taken hours so I paid to upgrade the 4 seats. 

The flight they booked me on was much cheaper than the flight we had originally booked. Then I had to pay to sit together. Any idea how I can request  an reimbursement for the difference it fight costs and/or the cost of the upgrade to sit together? about $30 per seat, cheapest upgrade.

Edited by JuliaMS

20 hours ago, JuliaMS said:

When I logged into the United app she actually had us in 4 middle seats in different parts of the plane Miami to LA. I would not have accepted this because it was not equivalent to what we had.

Assuming you could have reached them immediately, what would you have done?  They aren't going to kick other passengers, who were booked on the flight all along, out of seats they had already chosen.  How many days would you have been willing to wait in PR for a flight empty enough to have 4 seats together?  If you're flights were booked directly with United, then by accepting their offer, you essentially "voluntarily" downgraded yourselves, and usually when a pax volunteers to accept a downgrade, there is no compensation.  The only option is to hold out for a later flight.  But that could be the next day, or the next, or....

On 3/18/2020 at 5:47 AM, waterbug123 said:

Assuming you could have reached them immediately, what would you have done?  They aren't going to kick other passengers, who were booked on the flight all along, out of seats they had already chosen.  How many days would you have been willing to wait in PR for a flight empty enough to have 4 seats together?  If you're flights were booked directly with United, then by accepting their offer, you essentially "voluntarily" downgraded yourselves, and usually when a pax volunteers to accept a downgrade, there is no compensation.  The only option is to hold out for a later flight.  But that could be the next day, or the next, or....

The seats were available on that flight, because I upgraded to them they just wanted to increase their profit off of us.. The flight we originally booked was more expensive than the flight they put us on. So, even if they put us together they were saving money. Instead I had to pay the upgrade and they made more money. And yes, if she had not lied to me about the seats she was giving us I would have had them put us in a hotel and fly us later or they could put us in seats equivalent to what we had already paid Celebrity for. 

Edited by JuliaMS

47 minutes ago, JuliaMS said:

The seats were available on that flight, because I upgraded to them they just wanted to increase their profit off of us.. The flight we originally booked was more expensive than the flight they put us on. So, even if they put us together they were saving money. Instead I had to pay the upgrade and they made more money. And yes, if she had not lied to me about the seats she was giving us I would have had them put us in a hotel and fly us later or they could put us in seats equivalent to what we had already paid Celebrity for. 

I doubt there was a conspiracy increase their profit off of you.  Most likely a computer glitch caused by all the sudden rebookings.  Perhaps the available seats weren't really available, but just appeared to be.  That happens sometimes.  Or they were restricted to a different fare class than you originally booked or something.   What kind of seats had you originally paid Celebrity for, and what kind of seats did you pay to upgrade to?

2 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

I doubt there was a conspiracy increase their profit off of you.  Most likely a computer glitch caused by all the sudden rebookings.  Perhaps the available seats weren't really available, but just appeared to be.  That happens sometimes.  Or they were restricted to a different fare class than you originally booked or something.   What kind of seats had you originally paid Celebrity for, and what kind of seats did you pay to upgrade t

both seats were in main cabin. No excuse for telling us she confirmed something that was not and then not to call back or just moving us when she found out the seats she confirmed us on were not actually what she got us. Seats together were available and she could have booked them. But, just like not telling passengers for 5 hours after they released a press release they completely fail on communication and customer care.

13 hours ago, JuliaMS said:

both seats were in main cabin. No excuse for telling us she confirmed something that was not and then not to call back or just moving us when she found out the seats she confirmed us on were not actually what she got us. Seats together were available and she could have booked them. But, just like not telling passengers for 5 hours after they released a press release they completely fail on communication and customer care.

I understand your frustration.  Keep in mind that seat requests are always just that- requests.  Not confirmations.  The Celebrity rep may well have had thought she had you in the seats she said, and then the airline's computer, for whatever reason, moved you and the Celebrity rep had no idea.  It could have been for any number of reasons-  fare class rules, airline accommodating a higher status or higher fare class passenger, or who knows what.

Edited by waterbug123