Dry Docks-Edgification

swigso

Hello fellow cruisers

What is happening now is causing worldwide panic, uncertainty and economic crisis.

so here is a question, we have a cruise booked out of Tampa in Feb 2021. The Constellation is due to 

be refurbished and  revolutionised in September 2020 do you think that Celebrity will continue with their plans or

will there be delays to the upgrades.

The Constellation was, I thought, to be revolutionised in late April/May 2020. We were supposed to be on her for the First revolutionised sailing on May 26, 2020. Still have that booked, doubt it will happen (Barcelona to Venice). Stay Well Everyone!

6 hours ago, swigso said:

Hello fellow cruisers

What is happening now is causing worldwide panic, uncertainty and economic crisis.

so here is a question, we have a cruise booked out of Tampa in Feb 2021. The Constellation is due to 

be refurbished and  revolutionised in September 2020 do you think that Celebrity will continue with their plans or

will there be delays to the upgrades.

It "depends" is probably the best answer.  I think Connie is scheduled for her refurb in Singapore.  Yard time is precious and expensive.  Everything will be done to keep it on track.

Only a guess but I think the constellation refit will go ahead.  It’s due to start next month and the ship is already on route.  Consequently a lot of the costs will already have been paid/massive last minute contract change penalties 

As for the others planned for later on. I think they will all be cancelled or delayed

Agree it’s would be a shame but it’s the crew that always make a cruise

• Thanks 1

Would think the dry dock in Spain on a hold as non essential locked down till? The game now is preserve cash. For people and businesses.

Would think main goal for RCCL is finding cheapest places to park it's ships for at least couple months and getting crews back home. That one very hard.

Spain Lock down can't last for ever  

The constellation is now in Suez and clearly heading for dry dock in Cadiz but not due in until late April. My guess is that she will "park up" and see whats happening over the next month. All cruises up to this date are already cancelled. 

At some point the world needs to get going again so I still believe this dock will take place. As I said on a previous post, most of the cost will now either paid or committed. But as financial constraints kick in expect all future plans (dry docks and new ships) to be postponed except for essential work.

Just a view - time will tell

Right now Spain  is reported to have  many  cases of Corona ( do not know where in Spain).

Things can change by May but the refurb may not be a high priority.

We are booked for Jan 2021 on Connie...and hope we can sail on her updated or as is!

3 hours ago, hcat said:

Right now Spain  is reported to have  many  cases of Corona ( do not know where in Spain).

Things can change by May but the refurb may not be a high priority.

We are booked for Jan 2021 on Connie...and hope we can sail on her updated or as is!

Me,too. Nov 2020

This is the "new normal" folks.  Get used to it.  Governments and medical professionals believe that this new coronavirus and social distancing and travel "restrictions" will be around for at least 18 months.  And, things will change after that to preclude this occurring again.  NEW NORMAL!

We are booked in February 2021.  Many governments and health officials are saying this could last 18 months.  After that, the availability of travel is a huge unknown as countries shutter borders to non-citizens.  What is know is that it won't be the same as it was prior to January this year.  The cruise industry will likely be one of the largest changes.  See the industry "advice" for health certificates for this of us over 70 as one example.

On 3/18/2020 at 8:10 AM, Ride-The-Waves said:

It "depends" is probably the best answer.  I think Connie is scheduled for her refurb in Singapore.  Yard time is precious and expensive.  Everything will be done to keep it on track.

The Constellation is scheduled for dry dock the last week of April til the end of May. We were schedule to end our cruise on

April 16 in Rome. The dry dock was scheduled for Cadiz, Spain. The ship is out of the Suez Canal in the Med. heading to Cyprus.

See Cruise Critic News article.

A Carnival Cruise ship is already doing their version of amplification at Cadiz.  That ship has been placed on hold do to lack of people available to perform the tasks.

Allure was a ship that was scheduled to go to Cadiz in the next few days.  Its status is in a state of flux.  The Allure needs to do a 5 year inspection along with ideally fixing an azipod repair.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that RCCL have cancelled the Allure refurb, 

I hope that we are able to sail in Feb and will go if we can travel, even if the 

ship is not transformed. This will be our first time in a suite and we were

able to get a fantastic price on the Celebrity Suite. The price was less than a sky suite is now.

If the ship is not revolutionised I wonder what will happen to the Sunset Suites, will they revert to family cabins. The other variable is will Celebrity still be sailing at all.

On 3/20/2020 at 1:24 PM, Ride-The-Waves said:

This is the "new normal" folks.  Get used to it.  Governments and medical professionals believe that this new coronavirus and social distancing and travel "restrictions" will be around for at least 18 months.  And, things will change after that to preclude this occurring again.  NEW NORMAL!

We are booked in February 2021.  Many governments and health officials are saying this could last 18 months.  After that, the availability of travel is a huge unknown as countries shutter borders to non-citizens.  What is know is that it won't be the same as it was prior to January this year.  The cruise industry will likely be one of the largest changes.  See the industry "advice" for health certificates for this of us over 70 as one example.

I don’t believe the same restrictions will be in place for 18 months,  China has already started relaxing some restrictions. The peak here in the UK is expected to be in June with the like Italy and Spain before that. There are factors such as another outbreak next winter and how quickly they get out a vaccine ( by all accounts one has been developed and testing will start in September all being well). It’s certainly going to have an impact for the next 18 months ( I think the real impact could last 5/10 years) but I believe by the Autumn things will be more relaxed and things like travel restrictions will be relaxed because governments need their countries to get back working again.

Edited by yorky

1 hour ago, yorky said:

I don’t believe the same restrictions will be in place for 18 months,  China has already started relaxing some restrictions. The peak here in the UK is expected to be in June with the like Italy and Spain before that. There are factors such as another outbreak next winter and how quickly they get out a vaccine ( by all accounts one has been developed and testing will start in September all being well). It’s certainly going to have an impact for the next 18 months ( I think the real impact could last 5/10 years) but I believe by the Autumn things will be more relaxed and things like travel restrictions will be relaxed because governments need their countries to get back working again.

I agree with your assessment however I believe cruising is finished for probably the most of the next two years. Until this is virus is totally defeated, who in their right mind would want to be cooped up in a confined environment with thousands of others?

18 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

I agree with your assessment however I believe cruising is finished for probably the most of the next two years. Until this is virus is totally defeated, who in their right mind would want to be cooped up in a confined environment with thousands of others?

Thing is the cruise lines can’t wait two years, they would be finished. Remember there were plenty of people willing to cruise well after this whole thing started many of them still stuck on ships,  and they boarded after the first problems with cruising was identified with people stuck in a port in Japan. We have people on this very board who are stating they would get on a cruise ship tomorrow if they could and plenty of others still hoping they can cruise in the next few months. That tells me there are a lot of people that can’t wait to get back on a ship and they don’t want to wait 18 months.