Anyone heard anything about Royal extending final payment dates?

My concern would be that final payment is made for Aug. cruise and RCCL files for bankrupcy and all is lost. Not likely to happen but what good would a FCC be if there's no company.

5 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

I've got a cruise in August and the final payment date is in May, but I don't want to have to pay it if I'm uncertain the cruise is going to happen

I have a cruise in August too - booked last spring. I am waiting until the very last possible minute to pay - if it is not 100% safe in May I will definitely cancel.  I know a lot can happen from May until August but I won't take the chance.  

My concern would be that final payment is made for Aug. cruise and RCCL files for bankrupcy and all is lost. Not likely to happen but what good would a FCC be if there's no company.
Royal Caribbean is not going to go out of business in that timeframe. You should be more concerned about whether or not they have resumed cruising by then, and to what extent they will need to modify itineraries. Countries who's economy is dependant on tourism would be the first to welcome cruise ships back. Other countries, may be more cautious.

1 hour ago, LizzieandLuke said:

I have a cruise in August too - booked last spring. I am waiting until the very last possible minute to pay - if it is not 100% safe in May I will definitely cancel.  I know a lot can happen from May until August but I won't take the chance.  

I have an August cruise too- will wait until around 92 days out, unless Royal cancels before then. This is New England/Canada.

Keep in mind if you have not purchased insurance yet, Covid-19 issues will not be covered. Another thing to think about if this still persists. I don't have flights booked either. Good move because the flight costs went waaaay down. I also booked a refundable fare, paid about 80 more pp but after the way my 2019 went, and knowing anything crazy can happen in 14 months from booking time til cruise, it turned out to be a very good move. 

15 hours ago, RoyalC said:

I have an August cruise too- will wait until around 92 days out, unless Royal cancels before then. This is New England/Canada.

Keep in mind if you have not purchased insurance yet, Covid-19 issues will not be covered. Another thing to think about if this still persists. I don't have flights booked either. Good move because the flight costs went waaaay down. I also booked a refundable fare, paid about 80 more pp but after the way my 2019 went, and knowing anything crazy can happen in 14 months from booking time til cruise, it turned out to be a very good move. 

We are also booked on the Aug. New England cruise on the 27th, I am worried too about what to do when it comes to final payment time...

We will pay for our cruise in August as planned.  We intend to continue to cruise and travel unless something or someone prevents us. In July, I will switch my investments back from GICs, Bonds and cash to the stock market and equity funds.  I bailed a little early back in October and lost out on a couple of thousand but I will reap the rewards when the market rebounds over the next 2 years.  Maybe retirement before I hit 70 might be possible. 🤣

Cancelled our saiing 3/29, next up to bat is 8/7.  

Makes me a bit nervous the royal program doesn’t reach quite that far out.

NR booking, do have TI.  Should have a good idea before final payment date as to how things are humming along.

6 hours ago, cawagner said:

We are also booked on the Aug. New England cruise on the 27th, I am worried too about what to do when it comes to final payment time...

You will know when the time comes. Any uncertainty though and I am out. Could always re-book if I had to closer to the cruise.

I really wish they would.  My final payment date is Saturday.  My cruise is Alaska out of Seattle for June 19.  At this point, they haven't cancelled these cruises yet...but they aren't going to be able to sail because the Canadian ports are closed.  I don't want to pay thousands of dollars toward something that isn't going to happen and have that tied up in a Future Cruise Credit.  Sigh... I think we are canceling.  When I spoke with Royal today, they told me that I would have a $300 penalty for canceling and the rest of my deposit would be a future cruise credit.  Anything I've paid toward my balance would be refunded.

1 minute ago, LibrarianBecky said:

I really wish they would.  My final payment date is Saturday.  My cruise is Alaska out of Seattle for June 19.  At this point, they haven't cancelled these cruises yet...but they aren't going to be able to sail because the Canadian ports are closed.  I don't want to pay thousands of dollars toward something that isn't going to happen and have that tied up in a Future Cruise Credit.  Sigh... I think we are canceling.  When I spoke with Royal today, they told me that I would have a $300 penalty for canceling and the rest of my deposit would be a future cruise credit.  Anything I've paid toward my balance would be refunded.

You could also change the booking to a future sailing without any penalty.

Q : How are Non-Refundable Deposit bookings impacted by this policy update?
A : Non-Refundable Deposit bookings sailing on-or-before July 31st, 2020 are eligible for the Cruise with Confidence Policy and follow the same guidelines.  Prior to the Final Payment deadline, guests with a Non-Refundable Deposit bookings that wish to change to a different ship or sail date can do so with no fee assessed - the change fee will be waived.

On 3/18/2020 at 1:40 PM, jsf said:

You can buy travel insurance that covers you if a company goes bankrupt. Check insure my trip dot com and look for a policy that covers that. Prices are probably double right now but might be worth it. Depends what dollar value you place on peace of mind. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler