for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Good morning,  Melody, a part of it is covered.........from what I have been told, medicare covers 80%. So I need to find a supplement that will cover the last 20%.

I will see what I can do about finding a broker to help me out. But if you take 20% of 16 grand? That is still A LOT of $$$$........definitely need to find a supplement to pay that portion.

• Like 2

Ouch Lois!  How long are you on the medication for? BC/BS has a Medicare supplement. Finding a broker sounds like a viable option. 

you can switch your supplement every open season (annually) & you’ll receive gobs of flyer plans in tgat open season

Hi Melody, ouch is right. I have been very lucky really.......these pills keep me in remission and I have been able to have this co-pay card since I was diagnosed back in 2016.  As for how long? The Dr says this is a medicine I will be on forever.😲.....

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 5:19 AM, sjb317 said:

Sharon, thanks for the info, I would like the name of the tour guide if possible.  Sorry I did not get back to you sooner but it has been a crazy few weeks.  The kitchen is not going well, very slow and we discovered a few issues during demolition that meant a change in design so working on that.  We are living surrounded by boxes of cabinets!  

Kat, beautiful pictures!  I am really enjoying your postings, especially the food pics!  Looks like you are having an amazing journey. 

The Wildman is coming tomorrow with his dad for a week but It should be easier this time as both Dad and Grandpa can entertain him.  Should be fun if the construction guys decide to show up.😂

Sherri🙂

Sherri, I’m so sorry that the remodel you wait so long for is not going as you hoped. I hope things improve going forward and your new kitchen proves to be worth the wait and the stress.

Enjoy your visit with Wildman. I’m sure he will take your mind off the Reno problems-at least for a little while.

Since you asked about the tour guide and we actually made arrangements with her I think CC allows me to pass on her info. Their posting rules were a bit confusing on this.

Her name is Andrea Makkay. now to be clear, we toured in 2014 and although her website is available my experience isn’t recent. She worked with Rick Steves on his Budapest guide. I made all our arrangements via email and she replied quickly with all details and answers to my questions. We requested that we not repeat any sites that our ship tour included and she said she was familiar with their tours and would help us plan to see different sights. We asked her to help us choose the best plan to see the sights in the time we had. We also arranged to be picked up at the ship and dropped at our hotel at the end of the tour.

The day before our tour I received an email from her saying that she had contracted  a cold from a group she took on a tour a few days prior. She arranged for another guide and gave us all her info, qualifications even a picture.  She said that she had used her for other clients and everyone had high praise. Her name is Zsuzsa but went by Susan with clients. She was amazing and we loved our time with her. Her English was perfect. She went above and beyond. I do not have a last name for her and I don’t know if she has her own tour company. I googled and found someone with that name listed with another tour company but by this person’s picture, she isn’t the same person.

if I were to ever visit Budapest again, I would certainly once again book with Andrea Makkay and I’d she could arrange with Zsuzsa I would be very happy with either one.

https://www.privateguidebudapest.com/tablet/index.html

You might also check the river cruise board to see if others have suggestions/ experiences to share.

Sharon

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 6:34 AM, awhfy said:

Sherri, I’m so sorry your renovation is not going as scheduled.

Our SIL just started a new landscape design/install business & he’s been doing lots of bids. Every single person he’s gone out to was surprised that he was actually there & wanted them involved in the design. He has enough business already to take him into November (& just started mid June). All his clients have given him horror stories & are stunned when he says I’ll need a 50% deposit the day I show up with equipment & full payment the day I finish. They’re shocked he doesn’t want a 50% deposit at time of booking. Melody

Melody, your SIL seems to have figured out that great customer service and keeping appointments is the way to a successful business. It’s so hard to find qualified people who actually follow thru’ on their promises. I wish him continued success.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PTMom1974 said:

Look into Blue Cross Sapphire.   

It was recommended to me from an expert in Medicare and Medex plans.

Thanks for the tip🙂

Lois, wow, so much info to go thru looking for the right plans for your needs. Even though I have been using Medicare for several years, I am finding some of the posts a bit confusing so I can only imagine how you are feeling.

I do know that available plans can vary by state and even areas within a state. However, if you choose a supplement and a part D drug plan, they, along with part A  Traditional Medicare can be used every where within the US. Which means that you are good to go when you travel within the US, incl AK and HI. You will need a travel medical ins policy if you travel outside the US. There are some other notes to this which you will learn when you investigate your choices.  (Not sure about US territories) 

You can go to Medicare.gov and in the part D drug plan page, put in your zip code, the name of your cancer drug, dosage and frequency and see which plans in your area cover it and your share of cost.  This would be a start since that drug is so important. You will not have to register and sign in on the site unless you want to. You can peruse all you want.

As for using a broker, that could save you a lot of time and hopefully you will get all your questions answered. Just a word of caution when talking to a broker. Be sure he/she knows what type of plan you want.  There is Traditional Medicare and Medicare Advantage. There are many seniors who have chosen an Advantage plan because the salesman convinced them it was best and then later discover that it wasn’t what they thought they were buying.

Traditional Medicare is the government plan with a supplement and Part D handled by an insurance company. BTW, the supplement will pay according to what Medicare pays. Your claims go to Medicare and then to your supplement.The insurance company in this case does not determine the payment amount. 

With a Medicare Advantage plan (sometimes called part C) Medicare gives the insurance company a sum of money to take care of you and your claims go to the insurance company. These companies must meet Medicare requirements.

Disclaimer: I do not sell insurance but I did sit on the  health insurance board as a retiree and l and found it to be an interesting assignment.  Maybe my biggest take a

way was to know what type of plan you are buying and that the coverages suit your situation. 

I hope I have not put you to sleep, Lois! I wish you good luck not only choosing a plan but in finding a really good broker who is knowledgeable about both type of plans and will take  your best interests to heart. Please keep us posted.

Sharon

• Like 2

Lois, one more piece of info. One of the great things about Medicare is that when you see a doctor or use a facility that accepts. Medicare (almost all do), they cannot balance bill, they agree to accept the amount that Medicare approves. Of course you are still responsible for your copay share so that’s where your supplement comes in. However, if a facility tells you in advance of the service that Medicare won’t pay for the service and you sign that you are aware an go ahead with the service, then yes you will pay. In all the years that I have been on Medicare this has only happened once. It was at a lab. However, often it is just a matter of getting your doctor to use the correct billing code that pertains to your need for the service.

I am not sure how this pertains to a Medicare Advantage plan should you choose one of those.

Sharon

• Like 1

Lois, I just read your answer to Melody about Medicare covering 80% of your cancer drug. Apparently this drug is covered differently than other drugs? As I said earlier,  Traditional Medicare determines the amount of payment and your supplement pays out based on what Medicare has determined. So now my questions would be:

What is Medicare’s approved amount and does coverage of a copay for a cancer drug with a supplement work the same way other supplement copays work. In other words what are the rules for cancer drug coverage. 

Here is  a link to info from the Medicare site. Hope it helps and fingers crossed that you learn that a supplement will cover your share.

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11931-Cancer-Treatment-Services.pdf

• Like 1

Good morning, Sharon, wow, thanks for the replies.......I need to re-read everything.🙂.  I can say, the gal at my Cancer Facility is the one who told me Medicare pays 80%.........I will have to make sure she gave me the correct information.

Oh, I have some fun news this morning.  Remember when I posted that Blue Cross sent me a check for the claim I filed for my injury on the ship?  Well, I just got an email from the Travel Insurance Company and they are sending me a check too so I really am getting all my money back!😃

• Like 4

11 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Melody, your SIL seems to have figured out that great customer service and keeping appointments is the way to a successful business. It’s so hard to find qualified people who actually follow thru’ on their promises. I wish him continued success.

He showed up at his first job 15 minutes early & was taking his equipment off the trailer & the homeowner came out & said are you really here?  Corby said, this is the agreed upon date & time, yes I’m here. He got 4 more big jobs that day from neighbors. He only does install (no maintenance), but he’s a fabulous landscape designer. 

• Like 2

Melody, sounds like he comes from good stock🙂........it is all about how you come up as a kid........I was brought up the same way.  If I had a appt for (example) Dr visit........my mom ALWAYS was early........10am appt.......you get there at 9:45........that is just how I was raised.  Nice to know there is a part of the younger generation who does it the same way.

• Like 3

Sharon, you made me even happier that we have Tricare for Life as our Medicare supplement!!   I’ve heard horror stories from friends that got sucked into a Medicare Advantage plan & discovered that it really didn’t cover what they’d been told it would cover & had to wait a year to move to a traditional Medicare plan. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Melody, sounds like he comes from good stock🙂........it is all about how you come up as a kid........I was brought up the same way.  If I had a appt for (example) Dr visit........my mom ALWAYS was early........10am appt.......you get there at 9:45........that is just how I was raised.  Nice to know there is a part of the younger generation who does it the same way.

He’s worked his entire life (from 14 with a permit). Good guy, he & our daughter are go-getters; they’ll make this work

21D3C582-47C1-45B1-895B-CF30D022A8F7.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Lois, wow, so much info to go thru looking for the right plans for your needs. Even though I have been using Medicare for several years, I am finding some of the posts a bit confusing so I can only imagine how you are feeling.

I do know that available plans can vary by state and even areas within a state. However, if you choose a supplement and a part D drug plan, they, along with part A  Traditional Medicare can be used every where within the US. Which means that you are good to go when you travel within the US, incl AK and HI. You will need a travel medical ins policy if you travel outside the US. There are some other notes to this which you will learn when you investigate your choices.  (Not sure about US territories) 

You can go to Medicare.gov and in the part D drug plan page, put in your zip code, the name of your cancer drug, dosage and frequency and see which plans in your area cover it and your share of cost.  This would be a start since that drug is so important. You will not have to register and sign in on the site unless you want to. You can peruse all you want.

As for using a broker, that could save you a lot of time and hopefully you will get all your questions answered. Just a word of caution when talking to a broker. Be sure he/she knows what type of plan you want.  There is Traditional Medicare and Medicare Advantage. There are many seniors who have chosen an Advantage plan because the salesman convinced them it was best and then later discover that it wasn’t what they thought they were buying.

Traditional Medicare is the government plan with a supplement and Part D handled by an insurance company. BTW, the supplement will pay according to what Medicare pays. Your claims go to Medicare and then to your supplement.The insurance company in this case does not determine the payment amount. 

With a Medicare Advantage plan (sometimes called part C) Medicare gives the insurance company a sum of money to take care of you and your claims go to the insurance company. These companies must meet Medicare requirements.

Disclaimer: I do not sell insurance but I did sit on the  health insurance board as a retiree and l and found it to be an interesting assignment.  Maybe my biggest take a

way was to know what type of plan you are buying and that the coverages suit your situation. 

I hope I have not put you to sleep, Lois! I wish you good luck not only choosing a plan but in finding a really good broker who is knowledgeable about both type of plans and will take  your best interests to heart. Please keep us posted.

Sharon

Hi again, Sharon, I found the page that has Part D but there is not a place for me to put in my zip code..........I am probably looking in the wrong place.  Will try again later..........

7 minutes ago, awhfy said:

He’s worked his entire life (from 14 with a permit). Good guy, he & our daughter are go-getters; they’ll make this work

21D3C582-47C1-45B1-895B-CF30D022A8F7.jpeg

HOW CUTE IS THIS!!!!!!😃🙂😃

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi again, Sharon, I found the page that has Part D but there is not a place for me to put in my zip code..........I am probably looking in the wrong place.  Will try again later..........

Hi Lois, try this link on the Medicare.gov site. ( I mention the site so it’s clear to anyone else reading this that I am not directing anyone to a sales site)

https://www.medicare.gov/plan-compare/#/?year=2022&lang=en

I am using my iPad and I am hoping it will be the same if you are using a computer.

• Like 1

I found it.......trying to understand what I am seeing now........there is a yearly amount and a monthly premium.  And there are pharmacy choices............definitely need to research this stuff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, purduemom1 said:

Hi Lois, try this link on the Medicare.gov site. ( I mention the site so it’s clear to anyone else reading this that I am not directing anyone to a sales site)

https://www.medicare.gov/plan-compare/#/?year=2022&lang=en

I am using my iPad and I am hoping it will be the same if you are using a computer.

Hi Sharon, I found it too🙂.......thank you sooooooooo much. And you are up early!