for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

23 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody, sounds like it might be fun🙂 I have only sailed with HAL once and that was almost 20 years ago so I can't give a true opinion of the line.  I am guessing if you are sailing with cousins that you are also friends with? You and Les will probably have a good time😀 And it does sound like a good itinerary.

Didn't Cynthia just sail with HAL? She can probably give you some really good current info.

And I agree with everyone and am really glad Kat started this thread🙂

A cousin I haven’t seen since 1987!  She’s a professional ballroom dance instructor so I’ll be able to watch her dance

1 minute ago, awhfy said:

A cousin I haven’t seen since 1987!  She’s a professional ballroom dance instructor so I’ll be able to watch her dance

Oh wow, go for it😀 you haven't seen each other in over 30 years!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Ok, we’re looking at a HAL 21 night cruise out of Boston round trip with a Panama Canal into Gatun Lake, great itinerary (19 October - 9 Nov on the Zuiderdam). My cousin is taking it & asked if we’d be interested.  Never been on HAL (mostly Celebrity with Royal & an NCL).  Everything is included & price is good.  Am I crazy to start off on a 21 nighter on a line we haven’t been on?  We love long cruises with sea days (this has 9 sea days). Melody

I'm just off a HAL ship 9 (my Japan cruise) that is the exact sister ship of the one you're considering. And I also really like Celebrity, as you probably remember.  A few thoughts in random order:

-- HAL doesn't have a "buzzy" place to gather like the Atrium/Martini Bar space. Their pre-dinner area, Ocean Bar is quieter although they just added a trio to play there halfway through my recent cruise (before there was no music).

-- HAL cabins are a good size compared with most other ships, plenty of storage, nicely laid out. Bathroom is a bit better (space-wise) on Celebrity. The Zuiderdam is not a new ship so things may show some gentle wear (although my Westerdam cabin was in good shape and seemed recently "refreshed").

-- I know food is subjective and although some items are better on each line; overall I thought HAL food was equivalent to Celebrity's for the most part, although perhaps not as prettily plated. HAL has "always available" items like Celebrity does including a daily steak, salmon and chicken choice. Celebrity's specialty dining is nicer IMO...  

-- HAL has less entertainment, I can't deny it. If you like live music, their Rolling Stone room (a smaller venue than the main stage) is good and they play almost every night. Good rock classics from the 60s, 70s and 80s mostly. Can get a bit loud but it's fun. (Also on my cruise the dance floor in that venue was used for ballroom dancing at set times in the evenings, usually before dinner).

-- Other entertainment is kind of low-key, including the fact that HAL doesn't really have production shows. They have some in-house dancers that do shows as well as guest performers (comedians, pianists, magicians/illusionists, etc.)

-- HAL's service is great; very friendly in general. Officers are not out and about much like on Celebrity though.

-- HAL's specialty coffee venue is up in the Crow's Nest in the front of the ship, a great place to lounge and watch the views with large front-facing windows and comfortable chairs. It's also where there are games (puzzles) and an arts and crafts room that offers some kind of activity daily (origami, painting, etc.)

-- The ship does have a full wrap-around promenade deck. Many use it for daily walks, but it's also a good place to find a (comfortable teak) lounger out of the sun and just read and watch the waves.

If you are cruising for a nice itinerary and a chance for a get-together, it will be fine. Just don't expect a lot of high-energy. HAL is more quiet.  Feel free to ask if you have other questions.

• Like 1

This group is probably the one positive that came out of Covid.  We kept each other virtual company and we went through all of it together.  I’m so thankful for this group and all who contribute.

I’m still feeling “off feed”,  I do think it is allergies.  All my house snow is gone, but it’s damp and all the stuff that was underneath is showing.  

OOTD:  went to get my vacation mail and some breakfast, so it was my Free People cammo pants, sweatshirt, and my Merrell boots.

• Like 1

I agree Kat🙂so happy to chat on here.

I was reading a thread over on the "Ask A Cruise Question Forum" about packing and one of the responses was a technique they found from someone who said the following (which I totally disagree with) but its just funny how people pack.......

"The 5-4-3-2-1 packing method is a technique that aims to reduce the amount of clothing you take on a trip. According to this method, all you need for any trip is:"

• 5 tops
  • 4 bottoms
  • 3 accessories
  • 2 shoes (a practical pair and a nice pair)
  • 1 swimsuit123

This list would NEVER work for me............that is all a person needs for any trip??? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm just off a HAL ship 9 (my Japan cruise) that is the exact sister ship of the one you're considering. And I also really like Celebrity, as you probably remember.  A few thoughts in random order:

-- HAL doesn't have a "buzzy" place to gather like the Atrium/Martini Bar space. Their pre-dinner area, Ocean Bar is quieter although they just added a trio to play there halfway through my recent cruise (before there was no music).

-- HAL cabins are a good size compared with most other ships, plenty of storage, nicely laid out. Bathroom is a bit better (space-wise) on Celebrity. The Zuiderdam is not a new ship so things may show some gentle wear (although my Westerdam cabin was in good shape and seemed recently "refreshed").

-- I know food is subjective and although some items are better on each line; overall I thought HAL food was equivalent to Celebrity's for the most part, although perhaps not as prettily plated. HAL has "always available" items like Celebrity does including a daily steak, salmon and chicken choice. Celebrity's specialty dining is nicer IMO...  

-- HAL has less entertainment, I can't deny it. If you like live music, their Rolling Stone room (a smaller venue than the main stage) is good and they play almost every night. Good rock classics from the 60s, 70s and 80s mostly. Can get a bit loud but it's fun. (Also on my cruise the dance floor in that venue was used for ballroom dancing at set times in the evenings, usually before dinner).

-- Other entertainment is kind of low-key, including the fact that HAL doesn't really have production shows. They have some in-house dancers that do shows as well as guest performers (comedians, pianists, magicians/illusionists, etc.)

-- HAL's service is great; very friendly in general. Officers are not out and about much like on Celebrity though.

-- HAL's specialty coffee venue is up in the Crow's Nest in the front of the ship, a great place to lounge and watch the views with large front-facing windows and comfortable chairs. It's also where there are games (puzzles) and an arts and crafts room that offers some kind of activity daily (origami, painting, etc.)

-- The ship does have a full wrap-around promenade deck. Many use it for daily walks, but it's also a good place to find a (comfortable teak) lounger out of the sun and just read and watch the waves.

If you are cruising for a nice itinerary and a chance for a get-together, it will be fine. Just don't expect a lot of high-energy. HAL is more quiet.  Feel free to ask if you have other questions.

Tgsnks so much. Exactly the info I was looking for!  Quiet will be good after our Hawaii land trip with the entire family!!!  Melody 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

I was reading a thread over on the "Ask A Cruise Question Forum" about packing and one of the responses was a technique they found from someone who said the following (which I totally disagree with) but its just funny how people pack.......

"The 5-4-3-2-1 packing method is a technique that aims to reduce the amount of clothing you take on a trip. According to this method, all you need for any trip is:"

• 5 tops
  • 4 bottoms
  • 3 accessories
  • 1 swimsuit123

This list would NEVER work for me............that is all a person needs for any trip??? 

That wouldn’t work for me either!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

• 5 tops
  • 4 bottoms
  • 3 accessories
  • 1 swimsuit123

I could.  I could even cut the bottoms down to 3.   Now, that is also dependent on where the vacation is…

47 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I could.  I could even cut the bottoms down to 3.   Now, that is also dependent on where the vacation is…

Hi Kat, the poster said for "any trip".......no matter how many days and they never mentioned where the cruise goes........no way I could I do that. So no cardigan for evenings. No undergarments Nothing to sleep in. Not one extra item of anything.  I don't wear my daytime clothes as evening attire and to me, that list looks like that is exactly what would happen. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

• 5 tops
  • 4 bottoms
  • 3 accessories
  • 1 swimsuit123

I feel like this is just another one of those "click bait" kind of ideas that attracts interest, and then you read the article where there is a big asterisk that says "This person doesn't count underwear or outerwear in their formula."  LOL.

Packing is as individual as a person's style. For example, I haven't taken a bathing suit on a trip in years. I'm not a beach person and I have no interest in sunbathing or getting into a crowded pool on a ship....

Also, since sightseeing is always such a big part of my travels, I would not go without two pairs of shoes that could be used for extensive walking -- just in case one of them fails, I have a back-up. I learned on a previous trip to Japan (in 2010) that replacing a GOOD pair of walking shoes can be difficult when traveling. Although my feet aren't huge, apparently Japanese stores only carry shoes up to about the equivalent of a US size 9, and in walking shoes I need a 9.5 or 10.

(Eventually it occurred to me to shop in the men's shoes section but I fear I was embarrassing the salesmen!)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat, the poster said for "any trip".......no matter how many days and they never mentioned where the cruise goes........no way I could I do that. So no cardigan for evenings. No undergarments Nothing to sleep in. Not one extra item of anything.  I don't wear my daytime clothes as evening attire and to me, that list looks like that is exactly what would happen. 

That was for the poster.  I mentioned what I would do.  Hey, when I used to go to Hawaii for vacation I could do with 2 pair shorts, a couple of T-shirts a bathing suit and sandals.  Same for Arizona.  But definitely not for Europe.  That’s what I meant.  

6 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

That was for the poster.  I mentioned what I would do.  Hey, when I used to go to Hawaii for vacation I could do with 2 pair shorts, a couple of T-shirts a bathing suit and sandals.  Same for Arizona.  But definitely not for Europe.  That’s what I meant.  

Ohhh, ok, gotcha🙂

Welcome back Kat and Happy retirement Cynthia.

My Mother and I leave here only July 22nd to start our cruise on July 26th from Barcelona on Seabourn .Then a week in southern France and another cruise from Rome on August 14th ,making up for all the missed holidays during Covid

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MrToblerone said:

My Mother and I leave here only July 22nd to start our cruise on July 26th from Barcelona on Seabourn .Then a week in southern France and another cruise from Rome on August 14th ,making up for all the missed holidays during Covid

Melissa, Have a lovely restful cruise with your Mum

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrToblerone said:

Hi Melissa, this sounds like a fantastic trip!🙂 Hope you both have a wonderful time. Is the 2nd cruise on Seabourn too? I have looked at them multiple times for a cruise but never booked.  Let us know all about it when you return home.

That sounds truly delightful. Where are you staying in southern France?  And are you spending any time in Rome (my favorite city on earth)?

Melissa - this sounds like a wonderful vacation for you and your mother.  Be sure to ask Cynthia any questions on things ancient in Rome and some places in S. France.  She has a wealth of knowledge.  

• Like 1

Hi everyone 

We are starting to get excited , even though its still two months away.

We have rented an air bnb in saint paul de vence, it was tricky finding one with two bathrooms.

We wont be spending time in Rome as we have been there a few times , when my husband meets us at the port we are driving to Lucca for two nights before France.

Lois our second cruise is on Regent Seven Seas, through Greece and Croatia then finishing in Venice.

I have done the planning so hope it all works , my distraction during my treatment ! One more check up before our trip .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrToblerone said:

Hi everyone 

We are starting to get excited , even though its still two months away.

We have rented an air bnb in saint paul de vence, it was tricky finding one with two bathrooms.

We wont be spending time in Rome as we have been there a few times , when my husband meets us at the port we are driving to Lucca for two nights before France.

Lois our second cruise is on Regent Seven Seas, through Greece and Croatia then finishing in Venice.

I have done the planning so hope it all works , my distraction during my treatment ! One more check up before our trip .

Melissa, that sounds like an amazing trip!  I know you will enjoy every moment!

Sherri🙂

5 hours ago, MrToblerone said:

I am re looking at our last day ,as the cruise finishes in Venice and our flight home leaves at 13.30pm from Milan that same day ,could be very tight.Has anyone done this?

I looked at an online site and it appears your cruise ends with an overnight in Venice (actually Fusina, which is not Venice per se -- have you been following the fact that ships are no longer allowed to sail into or dock in Venice proper?).

If that is the case, you are sort of in the same boat (pun intended) that I am with my upcoming October cruise that starts in Fusina. It's not clear to me yet how cruise lines are dealing with Fusina as an embarkation/disembarkation port. Only smaller lines are using it this year and I have been watching for reports of passengers on the Azamara and Viking boards, which are other lines using Fusina. It is an industrial port and I do not think they have any facilities there for passengers. This could mean that you are dependent on the cruise line services for transfers as taxis may not be allowed into the port.

Some have said that it's likely the lines will transport all passengers from Fusina to the Venice port terminal (Marittima) where I assume you'd pick up your luggage and be on your own to get to your ultimate destination. 

Are you planning to take the train to Milan or fly?  If you're flying, what time is your flight?  Regent may offer an airport transfer. 

If you're taking the train, you might want to find out if you could disembark the first day in "Venice" and either get to Milan that day or at least stay in a hotel in Venice near the train station for an early train the next day.

• Like 1

We received an email from regent and they are transporting us to and from the cruise terminal. To save stress on our last day we have just changed our flights to depart a day later and train to Milan after we get off the ship. There is a chance we would not make it and decided the overnight in Venice or (Fusina) would be sad to miss .

Lucky for us it wasnt to pricey to change our flights on Singapore airlines

• Like 3

We received an email from regent and they are transporting us to and from the cruise terminal. To save stress on our last day we have just changed our flights to depart a day later and train to Milan after we get off the ship. There is a chance we would not make it and decided the overnight in Venice or (Fusina) would be sad to miss .

Lucky for us it wasnt to pricey to change our flights on Singapore airlines

So glad you were able to change your flights and remove a possible stressor from your vacation. Now you have one less worry. 😁

• Like 3

Good morning, wishing all of you Mom's, Grandma's (not sure if we have any Great Granma's) or anyone who is in the position of a Mom.................hope you have a wonderful day doing whatever you want😃

Happy Mother's Day! - The Good Shepherd Community

• Like 3