BERMUDA RESTRICTIONS

BostonGal35

To our valued visitors and clients,

Like communities around the world, Bermuda is taking serious steps to help curb the global spread of COVID-19 and protect our island’s residents and visitors.

Bermuda appreciates the support and interest of so many long-time travellers to the island. As global and local situations are evolving rapidly, we encourage you to keep track of tourism updates at this page at gotobermuda.com.

Starting Thursday, March 19, our island’s borders will be closed for two weeks to non-residents. Our airport will also close to all commercial air service effective 11:59 pm Friday, March 20. Visiting vessels will not be allowed to enter our seaport.

We realise this is an extraordinary series of events mirroring an extraordinary time. Bermuda’s government has made a very difficult decision—but a necessary one to protect our small island’s health and safety until the risk of COVID-19 subsides and we can re-open and invite you back.

In the meantime, we are working closely with our hotels, guest houses and vacation rental properties to assist any visitors who remain on the island to fly out today (Thursday, March 19) and tomorrow (Friday, March 19). Such tough measures are needed to support the global effort to stop the spread of coronavirus and lessen the risk of spread among our tiny population.  

For airport/air service information, please see: https://bermudaairport.com/coronavirus/ 

As you can imagine, these decisions do not come without serious consideration as tourism and hospitality is a vital part of Bermuda’s economy and way of life. However, our highest priority is the health and well-being of our residents and our visitors. Rest assured, once normalcy returns and safe travel resumes, we stand ready to welcome you to our beautiful shores.

Assistance for US visitors

The US Consulate in Bermuda can be reached at 441-295-1342 or 441-05-0424 (2–4 pm, Mon–Fri) or email hamiltonconsulate@state.gov. For US citizen emergencies, call 441-335-3828 in Bermuda or 888-407-4747 (toll-free in US & Canada) or 202-501-4444 from other jurisdictions. Go to bm.usconsulate.gov and the Consulate’s social-media platforms (Facebook, Twitter) for more information on COVID-19. Travellers are urged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.

Assistance for Canadian visitors
Canadian residents or citizens on-island can contact Honorary Consul Isabelle Ramsay-Brackstone at 441-535-0144 or 441-537-0627, or email 
isabelle@bermuda-perfumery.com.

Links to useful resources:

Bermuda Government COVID-19 Facts

US State Department Bermuda Status

Government of Canada Bermuda Status

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmarketing.gotober
  • Like 2

Yep, we're shut.

Sorry to all you travellers who would love to come visit us.

It's a bit disconcerting being trapped on a very small island with no way on or off - hope it doesn't last too long and we can soon be welcoming you back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

Yep, we're shut.

It's a bit disconcerting being trapped on a very small island with no way on or off - hope it doesn't last too long and we can soon be welcoming you back.

This is sad news but thoughtful of the people in Bermuda.

Thank you so much for posting on this site. We visit almost yearly in the spring this year we are waiting until June so whole family can come. God willing all will be well in over the next 2 months. We love Bermuda and hope to be there in June.

Tale care and stay safe.

Thanks for the info. We are booked for July from nyc to Bermuda, our, hopefully 3rd time on your beautiful island. Please keep us posted. Who knows what tomorrow may bring....

Everyone stay healthy and safe in these troubled times. 

On 3/20/2020 at 8:08 AM, jollyjones said:

Yep, we're shut.

Just a quick note. I have passed this information on to folk's at work I talked into visiting beautiful Bermuda (also suggested they visit this site). Hope all is well with you and the lovely residents of your Island. Keep safe hope to be there in June :).

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, we're shut.

Hi jollyjones,

Justa quick note hoping all is well on your beautiful island. Still hoping to be there in June.

Take care and stay safe.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 11:07 AM, HardyVA said:

A year without a trip to Bermuda is so very sad.  

I agree we love Bermuda, the weather, the beauty, the people. We will miss this years trip. but have booked next May with the family and on the plus side that gives me another year to save so more money to spend there :).

Take care everybody and stay safe.

Yep, we're shut.

Please let us know when Bermuda opens back up.

Yep, we're shut.

Please keep us informed of your slow opening! Love your beautiful island!

Edited by TPCRUISER2
apell

• 2 weeks later...

Just been reading about Bermuda's situation during the pandemic. Looks like they're in "Phase 2" of their 4 phase plan, as of May 2nd. Phase 2 was to slowly reopen businesses, phase 4 will be reopening the airport. No mention on the cruise terminal on the page, but hopefully it's implied?

https://www.gotobermuda.com/sites/default/files/four_phase_plan_bermuda_reopening.pdf

We gave up on the thought of a cruise there this year-- even if Bermuda opens back up to tourists (which is in no way guaranteed), I think cruise ships, even smaller ones, face an even bigger uphill battle to operate out of the Northeast US ports like New York, Boston, Baltimore etc. Just cant see the stars aligning in 2020. We were eyeing doing one of the Oceania Insignia trips again which are still up and available on their website but can't imagine it will actually happen and even if it does I'm not sure I want to be on a cruise ship until theres a vaccine. 

There are some tremendously good deals out there for hotel stays in Bermuda in late summer/fall. We booked a long weekend speculatively in mid September in the hopes that the airport will be open by then. While we got a great deal on the hotel (which is cancellable/refundable until 24 hours prior to arrival), we still aren't able to book airfare. The airlines have very few Bermuda flights listed on their schedules right now and the ones that are there are fairly expensive ($500-600 r/t per person for a 2 hour flight). Hopefully more flights will be added over the next few months once an airport reopening comes more into focus. 

• Like 1

Just been reading about Bermuda's situation during the pandemic. Looks like they're in "Phase 2" of their 4 phase plan, as of May 2nd. Phase 2 was to slowly reopen businesses, phase 4 will be reopening the airport. No mention on the cruise terminal on the page, but hopefully it's implied?
https://www.gotobermuda.com/sites/default/files/four_phase_plan_bermuda_reopening.pdf

Reopening the cruise terminals is not implied.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not confident that the airport will reopen before September, nor do I feel very optimistic about when the Gummint will drop the requirement for 14 day quarantine for all arrivals.

I don't expect there will be any cruises this year, our season finishes Sep/Oct anyway.

I would love to be wrong - (I'm feeling very trapped on our 21 square miles) - we so want to reopen to tourists for our economy.

4 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

I'm not confident that the airport will reopen before September, nor do I feel very optimistic about when the Gummint will drop the requirement for 14 day quarantine for all arrivals.

I don't expect there will be any cruises this year, our season finishes Sep/Oct anyway.

I would love to be wrong - (I'm feeling very trapped on our 21 square miles) - we so want to reopen to tourists for our economy.

I can think of worse places to be trapped. However, I understand how you are feeling. As a kid I lived on an island and as much as I loved it there, when the weather would halt the ferries and planes there would be this uneasy feeling of just knowing that there was no way off even if you had no plans to leave to go anywhere.

I've been following the Royal Gazette and yes, Bermuda is now in phase two.  If you read the phase four requirements, no gathering large than 100 people.  Not looking good for September cruise.

https://www.bermudayp.com/article/view/2385/2020/March/covid-19-essential-business-operating-hours-services-updates

Phillyrose

4 hours ago, jollyjones said:

I think it will be faster than you think. Islands in the Caribbean with similar profiles to Bermuda are already getting ready to open up on June 1. Its a similar dilemma that Hawaiian Islands are having-- they were able to significantly arrest the spread of the disease, much more so then was done in most places in the world, but when your economy significantly depends on tourism at some point you have to ease back into letting people come back. 

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/caribbean-islands-will-begin-reopening-to-americans-in-june

On 5/30/2020 at 8:06 AM, jollyjones said:

I'm not confident that the airport will reopen before September

Some flight schedules are coming back now (indicating the airlines at least think they will be able to start flying to Bermuda sooner than later). Prices are still on the high side but they have come down a bit (about $100 less round trip from New York than they had been a few weeks ago). Been paying close attention and hopefully good initial indicators. 

Some flight schedules are coming back now (indicating the airlines at least think they will be able to start flying to Bermuda sooner than later). Prices are still on the high side but they have come down a bit (about $100 less round trip from New York than they had been a few weeks ago). Been paying close attention and hopefully good initial indicators. 

Yes, flights will resume. I don’t expect there will be any cruises this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wouldn't pay much attention to actual posted flight schedules - they've been there all through our closure, they are really a placeholder, the airlines just roll them back another month every few weeks as the opening of the airport stays in the distance.

We are all eagerly awaiting some form of international travel but the logistics remain difficult - it's not so much the actual airport opening date but when will travel become unrestricted. We are pretty much on top of new cases at present but our gateway airport areas (London, UK and the eastern seaboard of North America) are not, so I don't see how we can accept incomers (or ourselves travel and return) without continuing to require quarantine. That will have to change at some time, possibly by some sort of track and trace scheme, but after containing the virus we really don't want to re-import it in large numbers. 

And that will probably rule out any cruises - our season ends anyway in Sep/Oct (apart from a few repositioning ships), so it probably wouldn't be seen as worth the risk to us.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2020 at 7:38 AM, jollyjones said:

That will have to change at some time, possibly by some sort of track and trace scheme, but after containing the virus we really don't want to re-import it in large numbers. 

It's not just tourism though-- there has to be some mounting pressure in the insurance and reinsurance businesses to allow travel to and from the island. Being an island with only a handful of ways to get there, I have to imagine contact tracing shouldn't be wildly difficult to implement. But I agree-- cruise ships add a whole new dimension of difficultly and risk and could overwhelm a new system.