Has anyone heard from Lana, WC 2020

travelwell

Yes I was thinking about Lana too. She had quite a travel distance didn’t she to get home?

Hope she has reached home safely and has been able to get some food etc supplies in . Her posts were much appreciated  and always very positive .   Jean.

• Like 1

I was following her on her blog and Facebook.  She is safely home, albeit quite tired.  Regent did a great job of getting her the best flights from Perth they could.  They even put her up at the Ritz Carlton,the night before.  I am sure everyone wishes Lana the best, and that she stays safe and healthy.

• Like 1

I made it home -- thanks!  All guests were disembarked in Fremantle on March 17.  A lot of us stayed overnight in Perth, some of us at the Ritz-Carleton Perth, and I flew out of Perth early March 18 with flights Perth --> Sydney, Sydney --> San Francisco, and San Francisco --> Seattle.  A dear friend in Bellingham drove the 2 hrs to SeaTac to pick me up and bring me safely home so I wouldn't have to endure the shuttle -- another metal tube filled with people who may or may not be sick.  

I'm putting together a "wrap-up" entry for the blog (with pictures!).  According to Luggage Forward, my luggage hasn't been picked up yet (that's a bit troubling, since I handed it over to the Luggage Forward person at the Fremantle cruise terminal as I disembarked 4 days ago).  But I made it home in one piece, just a little worse for wear, and suffering from jet lag big time (sleeping a LOT, trying to get into local time routines again, etc.).

I'm very happy with how Regent handled the entire situation starting with the earliest port cancellations in mid-February and ending with the amazing send-off we got in Fremantle as we exited the ship.  Hearing stories from friends who are on a world cruise on other cruise line, it's clear that Regent provided the best service level all around in terms of disseminating information (not speculation or rumor, but real info), keeping us informed of schedule changes especially in the last few days when things were changing almost hourly, and doing everything they could to maintain the onboard service levels at the Regent standard of excellence.  One friend described how the guests on her world cruise discovered they were skipping a scheduled port from looking at a vessel tracking website and finding their ship had completely bypassed the port in the night.

I still have four Regent cruises on the books, although I suspect the July 1-15 Alaska back-to-back will be canceled.  Canada has closed its cruise ports to ships > 500 passengers, and the border between Canada and the US is closed to non-essential travel -- I live 40 miles from Vancouver, BC on the US side and would have taken the train to Vancouver.  I'm holding out hope for the Oct 29 Grand Cape Horn Adventure (68 days) this year.  So we'll see.

Meanwhile, I'm "self-isolating" for the next few weeks in case I picked up an unwanted passenger on the way home (4 airports, etc.).  I live in an over-55 community with a lot of other "high risk" folks, so caution is needed here.  

It was a grand adventure that ended far too soon, but I feel that there are always positive lessons to be learned even from the worst situations:  I now know i can survive a REALLY long airline trip involving multiple stops -- I don't like it, but I can survive it if needed.  And I'm getting better at asking for help when needed.  

Lana (at home in Bellingham, WA)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I am so glad to see this post! I, too, have been following your blog and was very worried about you. You have been in my prayers for many days now and I'm so happy to find that you are home, safe and sound.

• Like 1