P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Harry, wouldn't dispute the possibility of a second wave, but before that arrives, herd immunity it will have greatly increased. 

Interesting article the other week from an academic , who wrote that the "R factor " was less accurate than a long range weather forecast,  and that in fact, a higher R factor amongst the general population was, within reason, a good thing. The greater the herd immunity the better, as long as the weak and vulnerable are protected.  At the moment the policy is a "one size fits all" scenario, which unfairly discriminates against the young and the fit.

Not sure about that, Wowzz, if there’s any truth in this recent report:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52837593

About 7% of people in England have been infected with coronavirus, antibody tests on a random sample of households suggest.

"Herd immunity is not worth worrying about" at that level, say experts involved in the Office for National Statistics study.

Hols4

Here in North Wales we still have a strict lockdown and can only exercise near home and do essential shopping. It is frustrating but much more sensible than the new rules in England where it looks like a lot of people are acting as if it is all over.

the police stopped a car in Vermouth which had travelled from the Midlands to see the sea and when told they couldn't travel to Wales the couple said Wales is in England, unbelievable !

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not sure about that, Wowzz, if there’s any truth in this recent report:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52837593

About 7% of people in England have been infected with coronavirus, antibody tests on a random sample of households suggest.

"Herd immunity is not worth worrying about" at that level, say experts involved in the Office for National Statistics study.

I suppose that at the moment we are in unknown territory, and even the experts can't agree.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hols4 said:

Hols4

Here in North Wales we still have a strict lockdown and can only exercise near home and do essential shopping. It is frustrating but much more sensible than the new rules in England where it looks like a lot of people are acting as if it is all over.

the police stopped a car in Vermouth which had travelled from the Midlands to see the sea and when told they couldn't travel to Wales the couple said Wales is in England, unbelievable !

Maybe they should have said they took their eyes out for a test like Cummings.

From the fairly independent Independent

Lockdown restrictions are being lifted in England before experts are ready to cut the threat level from coronavirus from “high”, No 10 has admitted, deputy political editor Rob Merrick reports.

Boris Johnson had been expected to lower the alert level from 4 to 3 when he gave the go-ahead for groups of 6 to mix in gardens and parks, but failed to mention it.

Now his spokesman has conceded the level remains at 4 – where transmission of the virus is said to be “high” – while arguing it is “coming down from 4 to 3”.

16 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

And this academic study says 25% of uk population may have already had Covid infection

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/over-25-of-the-uk-likely-to-have-had-covid-19-already/

As I’ve sad before, we all need to do our own individual risk assessment, using the best information available

The Manchester University study was carried out using modelling because antibody testing wasn't yet available. Their own qualification to their research is shown below.

The later research mentioning a figure of only 7% was based on a random sample, using antibody testing. 

“The figures are not perfect, with the numbers of severely ill patients as a proportion of the total cases being used as a market for estimates of wider infection.

“Only extensive antibody testing could give us a more accurate picture - but as that is only just becoming available, we believe this form of modelling is important in informing the best approach to unlocking the population.”

It’s hard being your own virology, epidemiology and risk assessment expert when you’re also worried about yourself and your loved ones, concerned as to how the home delivery will do this week, not sleeping well and then seeing and hearing umpteen different views from apparently reliable sources and being addressed daily by politicians who appear to be a little economical with the actualité

1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

It’s hard being your own virology, epidemiology and risk assessment expert when you’re also worried about yourself and your loved ones, concerned as to how the home delivery will do this week, not sleeping well and then seeing and hearing umpteen different views from apparently reliable sources and being addressed daily by politicians who appear to be a little economical with the actualité

Such is life, but I'd far rather try to remain informed than uninformed,  particularly in view of the untruths we're being fed by politicians.  It helps to assess the real personal risk.

To find out that most of the testing figures had been doubled by counting the two required swabs as two tests came as a bit of a shock. As did finding out that the PPE figures had been inflated by counting each surgical glove as a separate item, and including wipes.

After that, and the recent Cummings affair, is it any wonder that there's such distrust?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

No change for those in the extremely vulnerable shielded group, but one of the questions asked by a member of the public during the briefing received a detailed answer as to why, and some positive comments about the possibility of changing that in the foreseeable future if infection rates fall.

Our other neighbour (in his 80's) has COPD but has now started going out and today has been to the garden centre. I know that it's his business and none of mine but it annoys me, especially when my in-laws are still remaining patient and haven't been out for 10 weeks now. Well done to you and everyone else still following the guidelines.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Our other neighbour (in his 80's) has COPD but has now started going out and today has been to the garden centre. I know that it's his business and none of mine but it annoys me, especially when my in-laws are still remaining patient and haven't been out for 10 weeks now. Well done to you and everyone else still following the guidelines.

It's just plain commonsense.  There were people in the shielded group moaning this morning on the radio that 'it's not fair' we can't join in the fun next week along with everyone else.  Ludicrous - it's not a question of fairness, just protecting lives.  It's not a difficult decision to make when you appreciate that contact with the virus is likely to result in death!  🙂

• Like 2

I’ve just remembered, on my second walk today (luxury!) I saw a home made banner fixed to the park railings saying No School Return Until 5 Tests Met

Interesting

Didn’t see it going up, so can’t say if it was parents or older pupils

It was the busiest I’ve seen for ages today.  Lots of kids gathering, seated on the grass, keeping apart but probably not 2m.  Lads enjoying the skatepark - well, they were mostly falling off, they must be very out of practice - it’s difficult to criticise them 

39 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It's just plain commonsense.  There were people in the shielded group moaning this morning on the radio that 'it's not fair' we can't join in the fun next week along with everyone else.  Ludicrous - it's not a question of fairness, just protecting lives.  It's not a difficult decision to make when you appreciate that contact with the virus is likely to result in death!  🙂

Talking of commonsense.

Sheffield - 2,528 cases
Barnsley -      948 cases
Rotherham - 957 cases
Doncaster -   765 cases
S YORKS    = 5,198 

The weathers nice and places like Cleethorpes is a hour away for South Yorkshire  .
We are still on level 4 for infection risk  .
Cleethorpes area of infection is North East Lincolnshire - 153 cases.
What could go wrong ,it's just a day out ? :classic_unsure::classic_wacko:

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-11/coronavirus-where-you-live-check-the-number-of-cases-in-your-area-with-our-interactive-map/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

Yup

We’re really low in the SW

... or we were low.  I guess the crowded beaches etc of the last little while has done for that

We were planning a day trip to Dorset next week, so thank you for the warning.

3 hours ago, Hols4 said:

Hols4

Mmmmmmm I am guessing that the big sign saying Welcome to Wales (Croeso Y Cymru I think it is in Welsh but please forgive my pigeon Welsh) isn't enough of a hint eh. There are just some complete idiots about.

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Mmmmmmm I am guessing that the big sign saying Welcome to Wales (Croeso Y Cymru I think it is in Welsh but please forgive my pigeon Welsh) isn't enough of a hint eh. There are just some complete idiots about.

Welcome to Wales. Do not enter, do not pass go, do not ........

• Like 1

Another house at the back of me having a good old party for the last 6 hours now. 

there’s over 1000 cases in my area. I am lumped into a big area. Not far from Rotherham border line so take an average of the two. Are these confirmed cases too? I never understand. 

Had a good nosy at p&o cruises today. If there is a good deal when all this is over with no restrictions and our jobs are still save then I will be on it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

We were planning a day trip to Dorset next week, so thank you for the warning.

Beaches packed - car parks open but not necessarily the beach front toilets..................................  Doesn't take much imagination to imagine that people coming for the day may very well need to relieve themselves...............   only question is where?   Hmmmm..........................................

The Council's saying there are too many visitors so telling residents to go home if the beach is busy!!!!   We're staying home!

I can't get past this.............................

image.thumb.png.03f8f3135468b5dc61c4b5e98e2c5610.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Beaches packed - car parks open but not necessarily the beach front toilets..................................  Doesn't take much imagination to imagine that people coming for the day may very well need to relieve themselves...............   only question is where?   Hmmmm..........................................

The Council's saying there are too many visitors so telling residents to go home if the beach is busy!!!!   We're staying home!

I can't get past this.............................

image.thumb.png.03f8f3135468b5dc61c4b5e98e2c5610.png

Not too bad then😁

• Like 1

Look at the deaths

Remember the VE parties (why?) and the assorted missteps

past 3 days deaths have been 412, 377, 324 compared to last week's 363, 338, 351

It’s all going terribly well, don’t you think?  Or perhaps just terribly?

Goodness knows what’s going to happen in the next little while.  I don’t think it will be good news.  I don’t think it will accelerate cruises restarting 

• Like 1