P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

17 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’m not the best at staying on topic, but returning briefly to this one (What are things like where YOU are?) - cold!

Central heating on in August!  Just me? Am I the only snowflake?

Yes, I just turn the thermostat down in summer and it has fired up yesterday and today at 7am

We've still got the opposite dilemma I'm afraid.Whether to put the aircon on.Only done it 3 times this year so far,it's more expensive than heating.We rely on ceiling fan and thru draught from front to back windows.With cold you can wrap up,we can't get beyond  being naked,lol,tmi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

We've still got the opposite dilemma I'm afraid.Whether to put the aircon on.Only done it 3 times this year so far,it's more expensive than heating.We rely on ceiling fan and thru draught from front to back windows.With cold you can wrap up,we can't get beyond  being naked,lol,tmi.

Image deleted🙈

Sis

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Oh the mental image you have created.

I wish I had your problem with the heat though, very jealous.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

22 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Oh the mental image you have created.

I wish I had your problem with the heat though, very jealous.

Not where you live.Too cold around the Trossachs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Image deleted🙈

Sis

OK,I'll change the subject.We've had a saga with little Tommy.He had been hopping around on 3 legs for a while and we thought it was Lyme disease with all the ticks he had.We took him to a vet and an xray and 90 Euro confirmed he had a dislocated hip that had healed around it,probably caused by a car.Bottom line 650 Euro op.We told the lady in Rome and she said she was a vet and she would sort it there.I couldn't believe our good fortune.A sad 7 hr drive to Rome tomorrow and an overnight stay.All for the best hopefully when she finds him a new family.The cat we thought had gone off and died because her back leg appeared to be broken suddenly is walking normally again after being fed by the catlady over the road.Sounds like a dislocation that popped itself in.Keep you posted,cheers,Bro.20200831_142244.thumb.jpg.2103cb4854133b0325498ee8c62207d8.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

OK,I'll change the subject.We've had a saga with little Tommy.He had been hopping around on 3 legs for a while and we thought it was Lyme disease with all the ticks he had.We took him to a vet and an xray and 90 Euro confirmed he had a dislocated hip that had healed around it,probably caused by a car.Bottom line 650 Euro op.We told the lady in Rome and she said she was a vet and she would sort it there.I couldn't believe our good fortune.A sad 7 hr drive to Rome tomorrow and an overnight stay.All for the best hopefully when she finds him a new family.The cat we thought had gone off and died because her back leg appeared to be broken suddenly is walking normally again after being fed by the catlady over the road.Sounds like a dislocation that popped itself in.Keep you posted,cheers,Bro.20200831_142244.thumb.jpg.2103cb4854133b0325498ee8c62207d8.jpg

Such sad little eyes. I'm sure he knows he's leaving you soon. He's a real sweetie.

Sis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Clear blue sky today.

The sun feels hot even though it's only 16°C.

We have been sitting in the garden for 5 hours.

It's been lovely in the sun here too. Not much sitting done though. We started on the garden clean-up after the terrible winds and rain we've had lately. 

Avril

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's been lovely in the sun here too. Not much sitting done though. We started on the garden clean-up after the terrible winds and rain we've had lately. 

Avril

We cut the back and front lawns yesterday so just been chilling out while Pauline's brother(builder) was fixing a leak in our conservatory

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 1:41 PM, Harry Peterson said:

I’m not the best at staying on topic, but returning briefly to this one (What are things like where YOU are?) - cold!

Central heating on in August!  Just me? Am I the only snowflake?

Thinking about it Harry ,maybe it's better to be warm as you order your Christmas decorations now on sale, in August!

Never mind tomorrow is another day /month(September) and this coming week you can buy your mince pies/puddings .

The 2nd of September to be exact.At a supermarket near you ! :classic_smile:

Summers just keep getting better :classic_unsure: Off to dig out my Christmas jumpers ,save turning the heating up :classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kalos said:

Thinking about it Harry ,maybe it's better to be warm as you order your Christmas decorations now on sale, in August!

Never mind tomorrow is another day /month(September) and this coming week you can buy your mince pies/puddings .

Summers just keep getting better :classic_unsure: Off to dig out my Christmas jumpers ,save turning the heating up :classic_wink:

Indeed.  And Tesco kindly delivered the usual tubs of Roses, Celebrations, Heroes etc today at a bargain price of £3.50 each!

Will they still be here for Christmas?

Of course not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Indeed.  And Tesco kindly delivered the usual tubs of Roses, Celebrations, Heroes etc today at a bargain price of £3.50 each!

Will they still be here for Christmas?

Of course not.

None of this surprises me at all. When I worked in a large well-known stationery shop with a common name, Christmas always came early.  In June/July came the cards and Christmas wrap and August saw the arrival of gifts and  books that were embargoed for  Christmas. If that wasn't bad enough December saw the arrival of Easter eggs. 

Avril

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

None of this surprises me at all. When I worked in a large well-known stationery shop with a common name, Christmas always came early.  In June/July came the cards and Christmas wrap and August saw the arrival of gifts and  books that were embargoed for  Christmas. If that wasn't bad enough December saw the arrival of Easter eggs. 

Avril

I worked for a company that had to present their seasonal Xmas range to M&S in November to plan for Christmas the following year.  

My own role was slightly easier. I had to order Christmas packaging in February,  based purely on my own assumptions,  with no firm orders.  It was a no win situation - however,  as no one else would take on the responsibility,  no one dared criticise my decisions. After all, what's a few millions in the overall scale of things! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kalos said:

Yes I saw the article re the mince pies coming on sale in a few days. I make it a point not to eat them until December or I would end up looking like the Christmas pudding.

It will be a strange Christmas this year. A lot of the traditional activities may not be there (or be changed beyond recognition).I also think that there won’t be the normal range of foods available. The supermarkets have all reduced their ranges so I suspect that Christmas ranges will be pared back a bit as well.

On the bright side I have started to stock up on wine, Champagne, port (and brandy for the brandy butter). If a combination of issues makes supplies short (bad weather etc) at least I can console myself with my wine cellar🍷

I also think there will be fewer Christmas cards this year. They were already in a bit of a decline but people won’t want to send potentially contaminated paper to each other’s houses if there is a viral surge at the time.

Then again we may have a vaccine by then and get life back to more normal.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes I saw the article re the mince pies coming on sale in a few days. I make it a point not to eat them until December or I would end up looking like the Christmas pudding.

It will be a strange Christmas this year. A lot of the traditional activities may not be there (or be changed beyond recognition).I also think that there won’t be the normal range of foods available. The supermarkets have all reduced their ranges so I suspect that Christmas ranges will be pared back a bit as well.

On the bright side I have started to stock up on wine, Champagne, port (and brandy for the brandy butter). If a combination of issues makes supplies short (bad weather etc) at least I can console myself with my wine cellar🍷

I also think there will be fewer Christmas cards this year. They were already in a bit of a decline but people won’t want to send potentially contaminated paper to each other’s houses if there is a viral surge at the time.

Then again we may have a vaccine by then and get life back to more normal.

Interesting point you make about Christmas cards - will it mark the final end to them? Somehow doubt it, but I'm not sure younger people send that many these days.  Problem's easily solved though with 24 hour quarantine areas for paper and 72 hour areas for plastics etc!

I'm less concerned about pared back Christmas ranges as pared back January basic food items and general shortages of food and medicines in the increasingly likely event of no deal.  Kent looks likes becoming one large lorry park, but I doubt the queue will stretch to Scotland!

I had a 8.30am ultrasound scan at the hospital this morning.

The car park was nearly full but the hospital was practically deserted.

I was in and out within 10 minutes so pleased about that.

Back home now, Pauline is working from home so I will ring a few customers while I sit in the sun.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I have been thinking about the same things as up to yet any birthdays within our family this year,

any cards have been sent via an online card company . I think we will do the same for Christmas cards

this year,unless their is a viral surge, then it would be a quick phone call.

Come to think of it ,I cannot remember the last time I ever saw a paper lad/boy doing their rounds ?

I agree It will be a strange Christmas this year ,the shops will not be crammed with shoppers this 

year. I feel sorry the supermarkets delivery drivers ,they are going to be up against it this December.

The good side is I don't think we will have to witness the ugly scenes of Boxing day sales shown on 

our TV'S a load of people fighting in store over a TV that's got a 25% discount .:classic_unsure:

I think I will be happy to remember the real meaning of Christmas and be thankful for it.

I may change my song this year from 🎶all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth 🎶  ..

to a vaccine .:classic_smile:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1