P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Its old duffers day. Or National senior citizens day if you prefer. It brought it home to me when I got a text saying my Pneumonia jab was available, I thought that is only for old folk. Oh well onward and upward. My flu jab next month, probably third Covid jab to come soon.

Senior Citizens Day 2021 - Calendar Date

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I still wear mine Michelle, but my glasses  steam up so badly that I would dearly love not to need it.

I find that if I wear my mask with top edge just inside the bottom of my glasses frame then the steaming up is not so bad.

• Like 1

My 'ead 'urts....

1hr 15 minutes sorting out travel insurance (ss).  There was a query in the middle which took up a bit of time, but questions, questions and questions.. and rightly so of course.

The staycation one was really good but we can't go through that interrogation  every time (although completely necessary), so got a yearly.

Strong coffee needed now!

• Like 4

Good morning.  Dull, damp and cold, Yorkshire in August !

Booked entertainment for our cruise next Saturday, so looking forward to cruising again after a three year absence.  Also booked flu jab for late September, doesn't time fly ?

Staying away from people until we hit the road on Friday. Agree with comments re mask wearing, some stores, Iceland are one, are leaving it up to staff whether they wear one or not, something I find irresponsible.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I find that if I wear my mask with top edge just inside the bottom of my glasses frame then the steaming up is not so bad.

I have tried mine in dozens of different ways, and the result is the same. Sometimes if it is a hot day it's not as bad, but more often than not I have to remove my glasses regularly so I can read prices or labels.

It is darned annoying.

• Like 1

I must say I have given up wearing one here in Devon, as most others aren't.  I do put it on in the main supermarket.  Went to the theatre the other night and had light supper beforehand.  Nobody was wearing a mask to go in at all.

Belated Happy Birthday Michelle, hope you had a good day.

Did a Tesco click and collect into Penzance this morning and sun was shining and pleasantly warm. It's raining now though!  Surprised at how little traffic was on the roads compared to the last week or so, it's been taking me 25 minutes for what is normally a 10 minute drive! Also called into Home Bargains and The Range on the way back and most people were wearing masks. I tend to struggle with mine when I've got my glasses on. Luckily I only need them for reading.

Had yesterday and today off work so busy trying to catch up on some chores and clear and move furniture out of the conservatory ready for the builders coming on Tuesday.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 1

That concerns me about the theatre. I’ve got a theatre booking next month, rearranged from last year. The performance is fully booked, and I would be quite uncomfortable surrounded by non mask wearers at close quarters. The theatre’s web site says that they have improved ventilation and they are encouraging people to wear a mask. It’s a week day matinee performance, so most of the audience tend to be retired people, so they might be more inclined to wear a mask, so just hoping for the best.

In summer, I find mask wearing to be no problem at all, and I’m a glasses wearer. A couple of weeks ago I went on a shopping trip to Canterbury, and it was easy just to pop my mask on when I went in each shop. It’s just a matter of breathing ‘down’ rather than ‘up’ and your glasses are less likely to steam up. It’s not so easy in winter, but I haven’t got much experience of that, as I didn’t go out much last winter. We went from circuit breaker lockdown in November, to level 4, to full lockdown. However, I do remember an occasion when I needed to get some shopping in M&S, and had to abandon my glasses completely!

However, I will be continuing to wear my mask for the foreseeable future - it’s all part of ‘living with it’. Cases are on the rise again, and we are starting the school term and autumn season from a high infection threshold, so it’s my feeling that it’s wise to protect other people when we can. 

We seem to have a problem in that a lot of people are acting like it over,  but, ironically their actions will make it even less over. 

• Like 7

Have to say the show was utterly wonderful.  It was Blood Brothers with Lyn Paul.  I had no programme and no idea of who was in it.   She is 72 and absolutely marvellous.  Standing ovation.  Only remember her from the New Seekers and on her own a bit after that.

was so nice to be out for supper and see a show.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Have to say the show was utterly wonderful.  It was Blood Brothers with Lyn Paul.  I had no programme and no idea of who was in it.   She is 72 and absolutely marvellous.  Standing ovation.  Only remember her from the New Seekers and on her own a bit after that.

was so nice to be out for supper and see a show.

I have seen Blood Brothers 3 times as its so good.You will have to go a bit further down the coast to The Minack Theatre which is open air.I saw Pride and Predujice there and it was wonderful Just been to Specsavers and the optician actually said to move my mask down to just cover my mouth so the glasses wouldn't steam up.Most people on the bus were masked which I was pleased about.

• Like 1

We saw Blood Brothers in Liverpool in the early 2000s. It was amazing, Barbara Dickson played Mrs Johnstone (I think that was her name). We also saw her playing Viv Nicholson in Spend, Spend, Spend in Manchester. This was before retirement, we could finish work, go for a meal and go to a show. That’s something I miss now as it’s more of an effort and we have only done it a few times and not at all since 2019. Getting quite excited now though. Five weeks today we hope to be on Britannia, going to Spain and Italy. Fingers crossed not a fifth cancelled cruise.

• Like 2

E tickets for our Iona staycation are now available!  Cabin allocated, didn't get the much mentioned prom deck 😃.

Somewhat oddly, our Peninsula Club tier is stated as unavailable, but our arrival time is 12:00, so gets us on for the same time anyway.

So far so good...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

We saw Blood Brothers in Liverpool in the early 2000s. It was amazing, Barbara Dickson played Mrs Johnstone (I think that was her name). We also saw her playing Viv Nicholson in Spend, Spend, Spend in Manchester. This was before retirement, we could finish work, go for a meal and go to a show. That’s something I miss now as it’s more of an effort and we have only done it a few times and not at all since 2019. Getting quite excited now though. Five weeks today we hope to be on Britannia, going to Spain and Italy. Fingers crossed not a fifth cancelled cruise.

Another lady with a stunning voice.  We were totally blown away by Lin Paul.

Has been a wet day so far here, rained virtually non stop since 8:00 am, in the short period it stopped managed to get to greenhouse to top up self watering trays under tomatoes and also to pick a few, nipped behind greenhouse to pick some French green beans for dinner this evening, which is honey roast gammon.

Managed finally to meet up with my daughter yesterday should have met the week after schools broke up, but the bubble at school my granddaughter is at burst the day before school broke up, thus she was self isolating. The child responsible was sent to school with her parents knowing she was likely to be positive as other family members had tested positive and one was quite ill. The LA are not happy as 2 schools and a workplace were affected by their irresponsible attitude. Bubbles are being scrapped from September but schools still have not been given guidance about what happens from September, probably will get it at midnight the day before.

Had my first Face to Face physio session yesterday for my shoulder & neck, previous 2 sessions had been phone/video calls. The assessment was that I may be suffering from osteoarthritis in my should and neck, hopefully exercises I have been given will help, but my golf playing days maybe over. 

Mask wearing was mandatory in the hospital unless medically exempt, dropped into Wickes on way back to get some external wood adhesive, unfortunately still out of stock, everyone in there was wearing a mask. 

• Like 2

The heavy rain has got here now it's bouncing off the floor !

Looks to be still dry down in Southampton so I think I will watch the four ships

going out tonight on live stream  that starts at 5 pm.

May see  @davecttr  giving us a wave :classic_unsure: 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, DamianG said:

Happy Anniversary! Trust me, your 2022 cruises will be worth the wait (especially N222)!

And it will be good to meet up over a cocktail or two ... or three ... or more 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ann141 said:

I have seen Blood Brothers 3 times as its so good.You will have to go a bit further down the coast to The Minack Theatre which is open air.I saw Pride and Predujice there and it was wonderful Just been to Specsavers and the optician actually said to move my mask down to just cover my mouth so the glasses wouldn't steam up.Most people on the bus were masked which I was pleased about.

The problem with your mask only covering your mouth is that you still breathe in the germs from infected people your nose. 

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

The problem with your mask only covering your mouth is that you still breathe in the germs from infected people your nose. 

I agree.Thats why I was surprised when the optician asked me to do that.I suppose having an eye test they have to make sure your vision isn't affected by steamed up glasses!

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

. Bubbles are being scrapped from September but schools still have not been given guidance about what happens from September, probably will get it at midnight the day before.

Mmmmm I wouldn't be that optimistic - more like 4am the day of opening.

Having read the info from the DFE dozens of times it seems that most decisions are now with the school leaders. It is called 'passing the buck' and as normal the guidance given to school is limited to say the least.

Anyway, off to chill and watch those ships sail out !!!!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I agree.Thats why I was surprised when the optician asked me to do that.I suppose having an eye test they have to make sure your vision isn't affected by steamed up glasses!

I went to the dentist on Thursday and She told me to remove my mask completely.😷

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

And meanwhile, infection rates and hospitalisations continue to rise inexorably, even ahead of the forthcoming return of schools and universities, and the onset of autumn and winter when people start to move inside again.

This is still not being taken seriously, despite clear warnings from scientists and doctors.

The biggest mistake was asking us to wear a mask to protect others. If they'd have said to protect yourself everyone would have been wearing them.

Avril

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Looks yummy!! We went out last night, we had a table next to an open door which was lucky from a Covid safety point of view. It was my birthday yesterday too, I don’t think I want any more or if I do in reverse order please!!!

Michelle

Happy Birthday Michelle.

I refused to have any more birthdays a few years ago, and it's worked too.

If I don't look in the mirror that is 😉

Avril