P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Good morning, hope everyone is ok:classic_smile:  It is 6.c with fog around here a very

good day to chill out and surf the net and look at all those presents that we bought

that are now 50% cheaper :classic_unsure: I hope you all have a good day whatever you get up to.

Take care/get well to those who need to  and stay safe :classic_love:

FB_IMG_1640015027051.jpg.e1eb2dc9ab49d8444a02f45a762b883b.jpg

• Haha 9

Morning everyone,

Mild at 12oC and breezy but dry.

Having an easy day after having had the family round the last two days and a very excitable dog yesterday, who dragged my DIL into the house when she realised she was coming here!!

Hope everyone has a good day and stays safe.

• Like 4

Morning all

Rain, with showers in between, here.  Set for more or less the whole day.  We will have to be on our marks to get out if there appears to be a dry spell.  We’ve had a lot of the wet stuff - conditions underfoot are very squelchy

Anyone going to The Sales?  Is that still A Thing?

Cold Christmas gammon, egg and chips on the menu here today.  I must also carve the remainder of the beef and portion it for the freezer.  Trifle and Christmas pudding will just have to be eaten up - a hard life but someone has to do it 🙂

• Like 6

My husband got his txt this morning at 8.00 and it’s official! Covid is now in our house. The other 4 of us have just been for a PCR test. OH just has a cold and a cough but his sense of taste is ok.

The most worrying part of all this is that the LTFs he took on Friday, Saturday and Sunday were negative. His PCR was Saturday morning and as a matter of interest, he took another LTF after receiving his positive result this morning, and this one was finally positive. So it’s no wonder that passengers are testing positive on cruises because that’s what would have happened to us this week had we embarked say on Thursday or Friday last week. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

My husband got his txt this morning at 8.00 and it’s official! Covid is now in our house. The other 4 of us have just been for a PCR test. OH just has a cold and a cough but his sense of taste is ok.

The most worrying part of all this is that the LTFs he took on Friday, Saturday and Sunday were negative. His PCR was Saturday morning and as a matter of interest, he took another LTF after receiving his positive result this morning, and this one was finally positive. So it’s no wonder that passengers are testing positive on cruises because that’s what would have happened to us this week had we embarked say on Thursday or Friday last week. 

Oh no - you all take care. Hopefully you will all just have minor symptoms

At work we always suggest if in doubt have a pcr test as the lateral flow tests have proven to be inaccurate too many times.

• Like 4

Just now, Presto2 said:

Oh no - you all take care. Hopefully you will all just have minor symptoms

At work we always suggest if in doubt have a pcr test as the lateral flow tests have proven to be inaccurate too many times.

Thank you. We are ok thankfully, as we’re all quite healthy anyway! We have been saying for months that it was bound to happen and we’re so glad that we all managed to enjoy the family wedding a few weeks ago. I think most households around here have been struck so it was just a matter of time. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Oh dear. Hopefully his symptoms wont get any worse than that and the rest of you don't get it. Our son was very relieved not to lose his sense of taste!  There are 4 of us in our house plus a daughter and grandchild who may as well live here as they're here so often, and none of us caught it from him.

Good luck

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 4

Just now, SarahHben said:

Oh dear. Hopefully his symptoms wont get any worse than that and the rest of you don't get it. Our son was very relieved not to lose his sense of taste!  There are 4 of us in our house plus a daughter and grandchild who may as well live here as they're here so often, and non of us caught it from him.

Good luck

Thank you. It’s hard isn’t it when you have a full house and as you say, close contact with other relatives. I see my parents every 3-4 days and run errands for them so that’s out of the question now. They’ll be fine though as my brother and his family also live on the farm. 

• Like 3

Hope he continues feeling relatively well

I don’t know whether to say Fingers crossed you don’t get it or Fingers crossed this is your opportunity to meet the virus and defeat it with only mild symptoms.  Who knows? If, as has been said, we’re all pretty likely to get it in this wave, perhaps it would be better to get it over with?  Good thing we don’t get the choice, probably 

BTW - has everyone cottoned on to the latest news - that the booster dose effects start to wane after 10 weeks? 😳Blimmin heck - that’s me back in the firing line mid-month.  Oh, I felt so protected and so smug for about 2 weeks, before omicron came calling! 🙄

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Hope he continues feeling relatively well

I don’t know whether to say Fingers crossed you don’t get it or Fingers crossed this is your opportunity to meet the virus and defeat it with only mild symptoms.  Who knows? If, as has been said, we’re all pretty likely to get it in this wave, perhaps it would be better to get it over with?  Good thing we don’t get the choice, probably 

! 🙄

We’ve been thinking along those lines too!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Sorry to hear this Ardennais.

Hopefully his symptoms remain mild.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 2

Still miserable and grey here but the K9s and I are remaining cheerful. I'm making "posh" fish and chips for dinner allegedly like on Epicurean a couple of weeks ago. That was one of my least successful meals on that cruise the portion of monkfish came looking like fish fingers and tasted of nothing. Nonetheless I liked the idea and when I saw monkfish tails in town last week I thought I would have a go. French fries are cut and ready I have made the batter, crushed peas etc so let's see how it turns out. If nothing else it gives me something to do.

Did anyone catch the broadcast of Anything Goes on BBC2 last night.   The Barbican production, with Robert Lindsay and Felicity Kendall.

It was fabulous.  Set on an ocean liner, when cruising transatlantic was a very special thing.  Very funny.  Great sets.  Stunning musical production.

Well worth catching up for a couple of hours of your time on a dank January evening

Edited by Eddie99

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

Sorry the hear this. Hope his symptoms don't get any worse and he isn't suffering too much. 

• Like 2

Good morning everyone.

Ardennais, I hope your DH is not too poorly and that he keeps it to himself😉. Our ex SIL tested positve last week, he's triple jabbed and says it feels like a bad cold so hopefully your husband will be the same🤞

With nothing much to do, I've been scrolling through the online newspapers. I think some of you know how I love words and the oddities of the English language, well I found a fascinating article in the Guardian. It was a look into some obselete old English words. There were some beauties and I had a good laugh, but I found two fabulous words that I love and want to share.

One which I'm sure will begin to be used on here by one or two😉- ultracrepidarian, and one obselete word which needs to be ressurected that is very apt at the moment  - respair😊

Have a good day everyone whatever your doing. Stay safe and warm and take care. x

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
oops
  • Like 5

Avril  - here’s Susie Dent’s Word of the Day, from Twitter

“Word of the day is ‘zwoddered’: in a drowsy, stupid state of body and mind”

Ring any Christmas bells?  Thank goodness we’ve managed a decent walk between the downpours, so have negated a bit of the zwodderness 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Avril  - here’s Susie Dent’s Word of the Day, from Twitter

“Word of the day is ‘zwoddered’: in a drowsy, stupid state of body and mind”

Ring any Christmas bells?  Thank goodness we’ve managed a decent walk between the downpours, so have negated a bit of the zwodderness 

I'm assuming anyone interested would have looked the words up, but if not ----

Ultracrepidarian -- someone in the habit of giving advice on matters he himself knows nothing about,😁 and my personal  favourite word of the year -- 

Respair -- fresh hope, a recovery from despair.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Hope he continues to feel not too unwell, and none of the rest of you catch it.

• Like 1