P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I’ve not seen Lingo

I’ve got a sort-of Scrabble app called Classic Words.  You play against the computer.  I think there are 3 or 4 levels.  It does the score calculations!  My favourite! 🙂

If you like Wordle I would try Lingo, it is usually on before tipping point albeit programmes have been swapped about over the holiday. The Scrabble go app or you can play through facecloth is similar to the board game, you can play the computer or you can play friends or virtually anyone in the world who has the app/link. Your stats then tell you your average game and word score.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We did seriously consider that, but we've become so focused recently on covid regarding choosing and moving cruises about, then the disappointment and frustration to have them cancelled that tbh, I haven't the enthusiasm to begin searching and choosing again. We have other things that are more important at the moment. I may think differently in 6 months when the balance is due, but until then cruising is the bottom of the list.

Seriously John, you get to an age where, speaking personally,  you can't afford to keep waiting for something that may not happen. 

Avril

I feel just the same Avril, we decided to give cruising a miss some time ago.

At our age In our mid seventies it is just not worth the hassle or the possible risk involved.

I agree that there are more important things in life like family, we found that to our cost a couple of years ago.

I am fortunate that I still drive and last September we had a few days in Wales close were we lived when our Son was born 50  years ago.

It was very emotional visiting places that we frequented when he was young but we enjoyed it and are booked to go back in June this year.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

At our age In our mid seventies it is just not worth the hassle or the possible risk involved

Although a little younger than you, we have taken the opposite approach. We have too little time left to delay taking our final holidays, so will put up with the hassle, and understand the risks involved. So, all our 2022 cruises are staying firmly booked.

Obviously,  everyone has a different approach,  and there is no right  or  wrong.

• Like 8

My next cruise will hopefully be at the end of May on Iona to Norway so plenty of time to make the final decision. I took a quick look at Princess from Southampton and they have a lot of interesting itineraries

Or I might try some UK trips, I don't drive but there is public transport and my bus pass. i have looked at Portsmouth for Victory etc and Stonehenge York, Glasgow and Liverpool plus Isle of Man, all firmly with the NHS !

• Like 3

It's 1 year today since BIL lost his wife so we took him to Colchester for the day.Not that impressed,stayed there for 4 hrs had lunch in a cafe.Bloody 10quid parking ,no wonder a lot of shops are closed and out of business.Stick to Romford in future with free travel,lol.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, brian1 said:

It's 1 year today since BIL lost his wife so we took him to Colchester for the day.Not that impressed,stayed there for 4 hrs had lunch in a cafe.Bloody 10quid parking ,no wonder a lot of shops are closed and out of business.Stick to Romford in future with free travel,lol.

You could have parked at my Mum's for £5 !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Although a little younger than you, we have taken the opposite approach. We have too little time left to delay taking our final holidays, so will put up with the hassle, and understand the risks involved. So, all our 2022 cruises are staying firmly booked.

Obviously,  everyone has a different approach,  and there is no right  or  wrong.

We have 6 holidays/cruises booked for this year, first one being with BA to Lanza. BA will want the balance soon. If they all go, so will we, but that means 2022 is pretty much full up. Time to start planning and booking 2023.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

If you like Wordle I would try Lingo, it is usually on before tipping point albeit programmes have been swapped about over the holiday. The Scrabble go app or you can play through facecloth is similar to the board game, you can play the computer or you can play friends or virtually anyone in the world who has the app/link. Your stats then tell you your average game and word score.

Never watched Lingo before, but actually quite enjoyed it.

• Like 1

For anyone with a clear sky this evening;

This is the first meteor shower of 2022, and will peak on January 3 at about 20:40 GMT, appearing to emanate in the constellation Bootes, near the Big Dipper.

Quadrantids are especially known for their bright 'fireball' meteors that leave large explosions of light and colour that persist longer than average meteor

Unlike most meteor showers, which originate from debris left behind by comets, the Quandrantids come from asteroid 2003 EH1, which may be a 'dead comet'. 

To get the best out of the shower, and see as many shooting stars as possible, you'll need to find a dark sky area, with minimal light pollution and a clear horizon, according to NASA, which says 'they are visible throughout the night sky.' 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

We ummed and ahhed about our cruise on 15th January, but in the end we decided to go ahead as we have moved it several times already.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Very true, we have great memories of travels all over the world and they can never be taken away.

We have travelled extensively in the past and only started cruising relatively late in life.

Good luck to anyone who still has the desire and means to travel, it's just that events in our lives in recent times have made us more cautious in our approach. 

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I hope it goes ahead, goes smoothly and that you have a lovely time.  You can make us all jealous telling us about it 🙂

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Have a great cruise.🛳️

Thank you, both 🤞 If you don't hear from me afterward the end of the month - you'll know I've been offloaded😷

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

My next cruise will hopefully be at the end of May on Iona to Norway so plenty of time to make the final decision. I took a quick look at Princess from Southampton and they have a lot of interesting itineraries

Or I might try some UK trips, I don't drive but there is public transport and my bus pass. i have looked at Portsmouth for Victory etc and Stonehenge York, Glasgow and Liverpool plus Isle of Man, all firmly with the NHS !

We have still got a couple of cruises to look forward to but also enjoy discovering parts of the UK that we have not previously visited.We had a lovely holiday on the Isle of Man a few years ago using public transport, travelling to Liverpool by train then ferry to Douglas.We then used the local bus and tram services to explore the island.Last year we stayed in Devon, Ayrshire and Weymouth travelling there by train and by bus locally.This year we are hoping to explore Norfolk and Suffolk.We also managed 2 cruises last year as we like to do a mixture of holidays

• Like 4

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

For anyone with a clear sky this evening;

This is the first meteor shower of 2022, and will peak on January 3 at about 20:40 GMT, appearing to emanate in the constellation Bootes, near the Big Dipper.

Quadrantids are especially known for their bright 'fireball' meteors that leave large explosions of light and colour that persist longer than average meteor

Unlike most meteor showers, which originate from debris left behind by comets, the Quandrantids come from asteroid 2003 EH1, which may be a 'dead comet'. 

To get the best out of the shower, and see as many shooting stars as possible, you'll need to find a dark sky area, with minimal light pollution and a clear horizon, according to NASA, which says 'they are visible throughout the night sky.' 

Just be careful. This is how day of the triffids started.🤔

• Haha 5

Well, closed down our lovely caravan today and won't be back for another few months 😞

The sun shone today and we really didn't want to come home.

Have just been reading other posts about those of your cancelling cruises. Have to say, while we were in Wales today we reflected on the fact that buying our little piece of heaven has been one of the best decisions we have ever made. If we have to cancel any cruises or holidays we know that we have somewhere to go where we can feel safe and give us a gateway to one of the most beautiful parts of the UK. We have some lovely memories of Wales over the last 2 years - it really has been like our 'ark' where we have felt nothing other than safe and protected.  As we left today there was an amazing rainbow across the bay 🙂

• Like 12

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

That’s my view too.  In fact currently I’m in my favourite beach front hotel in Florida and on Saturday should be boarding Celebrity’s Apex for a Caribbean cruise we booked 2 years ago.  I won’t be booking to return here though with the various hoops in place,  but I still hope to take the other cruises I have booked out of Southampton this year.  I do understand the trepidation though, and I have some myself.  The very last thing I want is to test negative and have to quarantine before returning home.

• Like 4