P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Just a bit of information which might apply to a very few on here. The blue disabled badge may not be recognised in some parts of Europe anymore post Brexit (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62287752).

Just in case anyone is travelling abroad by car this summer and it affects them.

Also FYI you don’t get the OAP reduced prices at museums or galleries etc in Europe anymore either. We recently had to pay double at a museum because the discount does not apply for those from the U.K., luckily we had enough local currency as it made a significant  difference to the cost.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

.It was called Happy valley I think,not for me,lo

I think it may still be there!

OH had a family site on the Island.  Some people had been there 30 years it was really old style and generational. 

He sold 10 days before lockdown to a man who promised it would stay the happy place it always was but he renaged on his promises and cut down nearly every tree and chucked people off with older caravans and shut the Club which was a meeting place for everyone.  OH always felt that if a caravan was clean, rent paid and people nice they stayed.  I miss the camaraderie that was there.  I think it hurt OH and still does, that someone would make so many promises then do everything the opposite   .  Sadly I did try to tell them that things would change but even I was shocked.  The family had been there since the '60sso I think they were a bit out of touch with things.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Interestingly (or not) my local pharmacist is Rowlands and they are allowing 50-64 year olds to put their names on an online waiting list.

As you say flu jabs for this cohort I appears to start from 15/10.

A bit of idle curiosity.

I notice you all use the word “jab” when referring to vaccine. For me a jab is a punch or a poke, I wouldn’t associative it with something sharp. Is there a reason for it in local dialect?

Up here we use jag, because the needle is jaggy and pricks the skin like a jaggy nettle would. Jag conveys sharpness.

Im always curious about language. Any ideas?

• Like 2

‘Jag’ as in thistle. Partick team’s nickname & Buckie’s but not sure about ICT! 
Afraid I’m not sure about the link between jab & injection. Stab perhaps? 

Edited by Ranchi
  • Like 1

I am totally fed-up, I am so used to going out and about that staying in the house and garden is driving me crazy.  I felt better this morning so I wasted an LTF in the vain hope that it would miraculously be negative but I really am going to have to be patient and hopefully I will get a negative on Wednesday, my 5th day since testing positive.

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

A bit of idle curiosity.

I notice you all use the word “jab” when referring to vaccine. For me a jab is a punch or a poke, I wouldn’t associative it with something sharp. Is there a reason for it in local dialect?

Up here we use jag, because the needle is jaggy and pricks the skin like a jaggy nettle would. Jag conveys sharpness.

We use jab for any sort of vaccination in Stoke and I clearly remember my grandad who was a Devonshire man using it too.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

A bit of idle curiosity.

To me, Jag is a car. A punch ,or a poke is called......a punch or a poke. Jaggy?. Is that like Crankey?.🤣

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

To me, Jag is a car. A punch ,or a poke is called......a punch or a poke. Jaggy?. Is that like Crankey?.🤣

To me, a Jag is a car, a jag is 'going on a drunk' and a jab is a type of punch or ***** (needle) although I would not use the term in Canada (needle would be my choice).

• Like 1

Just now, d9704011 said:

To me, a Jag is a car, a jag is 'going on a drunk' and a jab is a type of punch or ***** (needle) although I would not use the term in Canada (needle would be my choice).

Ha.... the filter didn't care for the word I used with absolutely no intent on my part to be offensive. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Flu needle?

21 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

A bit of idle curiosity.

This is one explanation I dug out that may intrest you. 

jab (v.)

1813, "to thrust or strike with a point," a Scottish variant of job "to strike, pierce, thrust," from Middle English jobben "to jab, thrust, peck" (c. 1500), a word of unknown origin, perhaps imitative. Related: Jabbed; jabbing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Ha.... the filter didn't care for the word I used with absolutely no intent on my part to be offensive. 

We seem to have moved on for that very reason :classic_unsure:

"Just a tiny scratch, nothing to worry about just relax" Said the nurse.

"I'm not worried " was my reply :classic_smile:

"Sorry I'm talking to myself "... Said the nurse :classic_ohmy:

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Not that I know much about it but I have heard the term jab refer to a punch in boxing?

Interesting that some words have so many disparate meaning depending on where you live and local usage

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Not that I know much about it but I have heard the term jab refer to a punch in boxing?

Interesting that some words have so many disparate meaning depending on where you live and local usage

It's a bit like the Italian football team .Put the word "Chicken" before each players name 

and it sounds like your reading from a very nice menu :classic_wink:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

It's a bit like the Italian football team .Put the word "Chicken" before each players name 

Now I know you have a great sense of humour Kalos but this one is completely lost on me as I don’t know any footballers far less Italian ones.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Now I know you have a great sense of humour Kalos but this one is completely lost on me as I don’t know any footballers far less Italian ones.

Have you never earen Chicken Chiesa, or Chicken Bonucci ?

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

A bit of idle curiosity.

We use the word 'jab' down here in Kent for injections, at least my family does anyway ☺️

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We use the word 'jab' down here in Kent for injections, at least my family does anyway ☺️

Same in Yorkshire, we always used jab for injections, although I know it is also a boxing term, and of course jabber is what young children do when you would prefer them to be quiet.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kalos said:

Roberto Inabaskett is my favourite Italian player

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Same in Yorkshire, we always used jab for injections, although I know it is also a boxing term, and of course jabber is what young children do when you would prefer them to be quiet.

That reminds me of my grandmother who would admonish us with

stop all that jibber jabbering