P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

A bit of idle curiosity.

I notice you all use the word “jab” when referring to vaccine. For me a jab is a punch or a poke, I wouldn’t associative it with something sharp. Is there a reason for it in local dialect?

Up here we use jag, because the needle is jaggy and pricks the skin like a jaggy nettle would. Jag conveys sharpness.

Im always curious about language. Any ideas?

We use jab here in Tyne and wear.

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

A bit of idle curiosity.

I notice you all use the word “jab” when referring to vaccine. For me a jab is a punch or a poke, I wouldn’t associative it with something sharp. Is there a reason for it in local dialect?

Up here we use jag, because the needle is jaggy and pricks the skin like a jaggy nettle would. Jag conveys sharpness.

Im always curious about language. Any ideas?

As far as I can make out, the term 'jag' meaning 'an injection' is exclusive to Scotland. 

Up until a couple of years ago, I had only heard it in the sense of 'a bout of unrestrained or excessive indulgence in alcohol or drugs, or in a particular emotion or activity'. For example a 30 minute bout of weeping, might be called a crying jag.  

I agree with you, language is fascinating 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

For those who are interested - I went in Boots, Hempstead Valley this morning, to enquire about flu jabs..... but the queue at the counter was too long, and we couldn't be bothered to wait.  Therefore, my husband will have to book himself in at Chatham. I've noticed from the Boots website that 50 - 64 year olds will be eligible for their free jab from 15th October, and appointments are 'coming soon', so us young 'uns will need to be on the look out. 

Sadly there’s always long queues  there at the moment.

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I am totally fed-up, I am so used to going out and about that staying in the house and garden is driving me crazy.  I felt better this morning so I wasted an LTF in the vain hope that it would miraculously be negative but I really am going to have to be patient and hopefully I will get a negative on Wednesday, my 5th day since testing positive.

We use jab for any sort of vaccination in Stoke and I clearly remember my grandad who was a Devonshire man using it too.

Sorry you’re so fed up, hopefully you’ll be ‘released’ soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As far as I can make out, the term 'jag' meaning 'an injection' is exclusive to Scotland. 

Up until a couple of years ago, I had only heard it in the sense of 'a bout of unrestrained or excessive indulgence in alcohol or drugs, or in a particular emotion or activity'. For example a 30 minute bout of weeping, might be called a crying jag.  

I agree with you, language is fascinating 

I have never heard of the term in relation to drugs or alcohol. We live and learn.

• Like 1

I hope I have the right person.  May I ask Sarah Hbden a quick question (or anyone who might know)

Troll Cars, I have seen two websites and one states disabled persons can go, but obviously can't take a scooter.  The other one says there is a quarter of a mile compulsory walking, which is way too far for me and I wondered in what way it was compulsory.  I'm only partially disabled so could do the first option.

Thanks. Wish we could pm on here

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I hope I have the right person.  May I ask Sarah Hbden a quick question (or anyone who might know)

Troll Cars, I have seen two websites and one states disabled persons can go, but obviously can't take a scooter.  The other one says there is a quarter of a mile compulsory walking, which is way too far for me and I wondered in what way it was compulsory.  I'm only partially disabled so could do the first option.

@SarahHben

I think this is for you. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

We asked at the excursion desk on Iona if the excursion would be suitable for mum in a wheelchair. They didn't think so but as mum had booked it before breaking her foot she decided to do the coach trip at least as the scenery would be lovely. She was planning on just sitting in the cafe at the bottom.

Once we got there she decided to ask if she could go on the troll cars and our troll car driver said the wheelchair could be folded and transported on the cars but it wouldn't be suitable for the walk to the glacier.

The scenery on the way up in the troll cars was great, even in the pouring rain, but at the top there was no way the wheelchair could be pushed on the 15-20 minutes walk to the glacier, it was very stony and uneven with a few steep little inclines. All that was in the clearing was a shelter and some loos, no views, so I suppose that's what they mean by compulsory, you can't see the glacier from the clearing.

As it was absolutely tipping down mum & dad went straight back down on a troll car and had a drink in the cafe at the bottom while we went on to the glacier.

My husband has put a video on youtube of the troll car journey down, that would give you an idea of the views on a bad weather day. 

There was a lady with a brace on her leg who managed the walk but she looked like a seasoned walker.

I haven't got any photos of the walk but here are a few at the glacier.

I hope that all helps.

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 8

Thank you. It was when you posted your video that it made me want to go.

OH probably wouldn't go on his own, so it looks like I could go, then he could walk to the glacier.

Sounds silly but as I have always been the adventurous one I think  now he secretly feels a bit guilty going  sightseeing on his own.    It wouldn't bother me in the slightest.  I  now go for the ship experiences and of course the views.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Thank you. It was when you posted your video that it made me want to go.

OH probably wouldn't go on his own, so it looks like I could go, then he could walk to the glacier.

Sounds silly but as I have always been the adventurous one I think  now he secretly feels a bit guilty going  sightseeing on his own.    It wouldn't bother me in the slightest.  I  now go for the ship experiences and of course the views.

Are you able to get up the steps into a coach? That was hard going with mum but between us we hoisted her up! I don't know if they have accessible coaches for excursions for those who can't get up the steps?

The path/road from the coach park to the cafe and troll cars is quite steep but tarmaced. 

Sorry, I forgot to say, if the weather is very wet your OH might want to take waterproof shoes, we had to negotiate a couple of little streams at the top.

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Are you able to get up the steps into a coach? That was hard going with mum but between us we hoisted her up! I don't know if they have accessible coaches for excursions for those who can't get up the steps?

The path/road from the coach park to the cafe and troll cars is quite steep but tarmaced. 

Sorry, I forgot to say, if the weather is very wet your OH might want to take waterproof shoes, we had to negotiate a couple of little streams at the top.

I've only ever seen one wheelchair accessible coach and that was in the Canaries. It was amazing, with a lift towards the rear.

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Are you able to get up the steps into a coach?

Yes, I can hoist myself up...I get around fine indoors too.  Its on walks and when I'm tired the smashed up leg plays up and aggravates everything else where I'm limping. 

The troll cars really look like fun.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

14°C and sunny here after heavy rain late yesterday afternoon.

I understand NCL and HAL are stopping the pre cruise test from August 1st.

Hopefully P&O and RCL will follow suit.

I hope everyone is well.

To all intents and purposes, P& O have.

The NCL announcement was made at the beginning of July.

Edited by Billish

10 minutes ago, Billish said:

To all intents and purposes, P& O have.

The NCL announcement was made at the beginning of July.

5 cruises on Iona in July were test free.

Hopefully all testing is discontinued on all ships for fully vaccinated and boosted passengers.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

14°C and sunny here after heavy rain late yesterday afternoon.

I understand NCL and HAL are stopping the pre cruise test from August 1st.

Hopefully P&O and RCL will follow suit.

I hope everyone is well.

Lot's of showers here today ,only 16.c/61F .  Hard to believe that last week we were 

heading for a blistering hot 39.c + before the day was through.

My heart ,thought and prayers go out to those who lost their homes due to it.

Take care everyone:classic_love:

• Like 7

I decided that I was going stir crazy so I have been for a short walk, we are lucky enough to live close to some lovely open spaces so I took the car and went to a spot less than a mile from home and just walked up over the hill and through the woods and than back down to the car via a quiet lane.  I  didn’t meet anyone though I was prepared with masks in case I  saw anyone else out walking in the area.  Tomorrow will be day 5 so hopefully  I may soon get a negative test result.

I have been told that you can no longer get free tests so I wonder how many people are walking around with symptoms  but not knowing whether or not they are they are spreading the virus.  Fortunately I have several packs of tests from when I was volunteering at the vaccination hub.

I was considering cancelling our October cruise because we are sure that we caught the virus on Emerald Princess last week but we have decided that as it is only 3 months away we will have natural antibodies to the recent variants so probably better protected than most who have only had the vaccines and boosters.

Take care everyone.

• Like 9

Sunny here today, my neighbour was asking the other day if we’d encountered any rogue bees, apparently banging against your head & following. Well today we’ve had the same trouble & the dog too, it’s even tried to follow us through the netting to stop the farm flys ( another story) Think it might be a wasp rather than a bee, but it’s a bit scary 😦