P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think our room must be in a similar position to yours.

We are in the balcony room second from the left, and our sea view looks similar.

Yesterday evening about 10.30, we saw a lit up cruise ship going past, which we think was an Aida ship.

IMG_0848.thumb.jpeg.9a3420c8075ff8b7ca3e3b4a73137ef4.jpegIMG_2743.thumb.jpeg.0c6fd5fc67613f664e5533bd50a43481.jpeg

I was in the corner room at the other end of the block you are in...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We are thinking of going to Carisbrooke Castle tomorrow. Last time we went there was 41 yrs ago 

We went to Carisbrooke Castle 2 years ago, the first time since I was a child.

We’re going back to the Isle of Wight the week after next and taking some of the family with us. My husband wouldn’t go to Blackgang Chine with no children so this time we’ll have our grandson with us 😊

• Like 8

It's been a while since we've visited the Historic dockyard in Portsmouth, but had a grand day out today.

We learnt that in 1803 the sailors on HMS Victory were fed 5000 calories and had an allowance of a gallon of beer per day.

With the greatest respect to our Lord Nelson and his crew, we will try very hard to keep this tradition alive every time we set sail 🤣🍻

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

On 5/15/2023 at 10:17 AM, grapau27 said:

Good luck with the angioplasty and stent fittings.

I was awake and watched the screen as the angioplasty with 1 stent fitted was performed on me 2 days after my minor heart attack.

I was awake too, it’s an amazing thing they do. Just a tiny scar in my wrist, incredible.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We are thinking of going to Carisbrooke Castle tomorrow. Last time we went there was 41 yrs ago 

We are at Studland. Wall to wall sunshine , for a change. No cruise ships but the ferries come in a couple if times a day. We stayed in Yarmouth last year and went to Carisbrooke. Everything seems to be so expensive. £5.40 to park the car for 3 hours.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

IMG-20230516-WA0000.jpg

44 minutes ago, tring said:

But of course....

But if that fails and she is looking unhappy . You could try  ...

facebook_1684086381688_7063570247060753236.jpg.b6e25150ff384450e0405e8df25f65ee.jpg

Only kidding ,wives are lovely , well that's what my Mrs told me 😉🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, SarahHben said:

We went to Carisbrooke Castle 2 years ago, the first time since I was a child.

We’re going back to the Isle of Wight the week after next and taking some of the family with us. My husband wouldn’t go to Blackgang Chine with no children so this time we’ll have our grandson with us 😊

I’d forgotten about Blackgang Chine. We went there with no children 40 odd years ago, but perhaps not this time! Hope the weather holds for you, it’s been lovely today 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

We are at Studland. Wall to wall sunshine , for a change. No cruise ships but the ferries come in a couple if times a day. We stayed in Yarmouth last year and went to Carisbrooke. Everything seems to be so expensive. £5.40 to park the car for 3 hours.

Blimey, I hadn’t even thought about parking costs 😱

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Guess the local authority is trying to drive away the tourists. The break we have there in July is the first time I have been there for 47 years and I will probably be the last time we go if that’s what they charge for parking, it’s nothing more than extortion. With overprice ferry charges and extortionate parking charges you would think they didn’t want any visitors. 

Will make sure I have a full tank before I get there having seen the prices charged by some of the garages there, although Tesco, Sainsbury’s & Morrisons have lower prices they seem to be 3 or 4p per litre than those on the mainland. A full tank will last me well over the week we are there as probably will be running on electric much of the time. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We had a coffee at a little takeaway kiosk on the beach. Quite nice coffee.£8 for 2. I guess folk need to get some money in the kitty, but don't realise that when the customer feels ripped off, they don't go back. 2 large coffees in Costa in Lyndhurst High St £7.20. 2  small coffees in paper cups on the beach. £8.....and we got 2 beans in Costa....Next time one is free.🤣

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Guess the local authority is trying to drive away the tourists. The break we have there in July is the first time I have been there for 47 years and I will probably be the last time we go if that’s what they charge for parking, it’s nothing more than extortion. With overprice ferry charges and extortionate parking charges you would think they didn’t want any visitors. 

Will make sure I have a full tank before I get there having seen the prices charged by some of the garages there, although Tesco, Sainsbury’s & Morrisons have lower prices they seem to be 3 or 4p per litre than those on the mainland. A full tank will last me well over the week we are there as probably will be running on electric much of the time. 

The parking charges set by the council has been very contentious with local residents too. I've often had off-season breaks at Bembridge Coast and in many places around the Island, parking was free in the winter. Last time I visited, parking charges had been extended all year-round...

Just booked ferry for our I O W trip in June, it’s gone up £100 since last year! That’s several of our meals out! 
Currently wearing blood pressure monitor for 12 hrs so trying not to get to het up about the cost! 😫

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

Just booked ferry for our I O W trip in June, it’s gone up £100 since last year! That’s several of our meals out! 
Currently wearing blood pressure monitor for 12 hrs so trying not to get to het up about the cost! 😫

Over the years I've thought about spending a couple of days on IoW before going on a cruise.  The cost of the ferry has always put me off.  Even more so now.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Over the years I've thought about spending a couple of days on IoW before going on a cruise.  The cost of the ferry has always put me off.  Even more so now.  

We did this last year after a holiday in France (hence eliminating the need to drive south again) because Warners Bembridge had good late offers, including the ferry.  It was our second Warners stay (the other being Nidd Hall) and whilst the rooms were very nice at both, we are not fans and are unlikely to do another Warners stay. Good way to see the IOW however, but as it rained the whole time, we didn’t see it at its best.

• Like 6

When you book with Warner’s, you can book the ferry with them too. I booked our current break last year, and the return ferry cost was £60, and I don’t think that has changed,

We went to Carisbrooke Castle and Osborne House today. Fortunately we are English Heritage members so we didn’t pay the entry fees or for the parking at Carisbrooke. 

But the price of things is really high. Two coffees and 2 cakes is £13 or more.

IMG_0858.jpeg

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

When you book with Warner’s, you can book the ferry with them too. I booked our current break last year, and the return ferry cost was £60, and I don’t think that has changed,

We went to Carisbrooke Castle and Osborne House today. Fortunately we are English Heritage members so we didn’t pay the entry fees or for the parking at Carisbrooke. 

IMG_0858.jpeg

You’ve got lovely weather for your trip! Did you go up the really steep steps up the castle wall?  
Looking forward to being there at the end of the month. We’ve treated our daughters to English Heritage annual passes especially for our visits to Carisbrooke and Osborne House. 

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

• Like 3

We never drive into Romford and pay,bus pass only.We only drive to out of town retail parks if we have to for bigger items and even then they are free parking.I suppose we are lucky that our buses are frequent and go everywhere.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

IMG_0858.jpeg

Parkdean and Haven resorts have the same deal with the ferries.Saved a hell of a lot last year.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

We wanted to go from Southampton when we go later this month but the ferry from Portsmouth was much cheaper so we opted for that. Even with a hotel stop In Portsmouth the night before it worked out cheaper 🥴

• Like 3

1 minute ago, brian1 said:

We never drive into Romford and pay,bus pass only.We only drive to out of town retail parks if we have to for bigger items and even then they are free parking.I suppose we are lucky that our buses are frequent and go everywhere.

I noticed earlier today that the government are extending £2.00 cap on single bus journeys in England to October.  Used that a couple of times to get home from Wetherspoons.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, brian1 said:

What's a bus, Brian?

• Haha 1