P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We were faced with a similar situation and given Airmid as the app to use, but I could never remember my password, however I did find a new link to systmonline from my surgery's website under "repeat prescriptions" and it still works, maybe you could checkout your surgery website.

That's what the receptionist told me to do and it worked. Bookmarked it and 'job's a good 'un'😉

Avril

• Like 2

Well we found the garden/s today and spent 7 hours hacking at shrubs and a tree (we have permission to cut it back from the Council as it is on their land growing over, but it would be even better if they paid for someone to do it!)

Even sorted the front garden / drive -- its only small thank goodness.

Totally wrecked tonight, but the garden/s look loads better.

One more holly bush to tame on Saturday --- self seeded and it was nice when small. Now it is huge and needs a trim. Wish us luck, its about 12 feet tall at least.

(And one for Pete14 .. we have discovered a lovely self seeded Sycamore tree .. it will be coming with us to Wales so that Mr and Mrs Pete14 can add it to their collection !!!!!)

Feel very self righteous tonight - both Mr and Mrs Presto2 chilling and planning a lazy day tomorrow!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Well we found the garden/s today and spent 7 hours hacking at shrubs and a tree (we have permission to cut it back from the Council as it is on their land growing over, but it would be even better if they paid for someone to do it!)

Even sorted the front garden / drive -- its only small thank goodness.

Totally wrecked tonight, but the garden/s look loads better.

One more holly bush to tame on Saturday --- self seeded and it was nice when small. Now it is huge and needs a trim. Wish us luck, its about 12 feet tall at least.

(And one for Pete14 .. we have discovered a lovely self seeded Sycamore tree .. it will be coming with us to Wales so that Mr and Mrs Pete14 can add it to their collection !!!!!)

Feel very self righteous tonight - both Mr and Mrs Presto2 chilling and planning a lazy day tomorrow!

I think if your self seeded sycamore has managed to grow in your jungle, it deserves to stay at home. Our collection is complete. Enjoy your lazy day tomorrow, we are having our eyes tested which will almost certainly mean new glasses. Just a pity they don’t take old ones in part exchange. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, pete14 said:

I think if your self seeded sycamore has managed to grow in your jungle, it deserves to stay at home. Our collection is complete. Enjoy your lazy day tomorrow, we are having our eyes tested which will almost certainly mean new glasses. Just a pity they don’t take old ones in part exchange. 

Pete, have you arranged a mortgage to pay the optician? I quite forgot to arrange one before choosing my new glasses last week.  It would be a good idea for them to do part exchanges.

A couple of years ago I donated a lot of old ones for use in third world countries after a friend told me that Specsavers collected them, I don't know if they still do that  because I go to an independent optician but I have a collection again.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Im not ancient but I went through school with pen and paper and laterally a VATman calculator which was at the time an amazing bit of new technology (for those who don’t know it was a very big but very basic calculator).

A calculator! It was a slide rule and log tables for me.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Pete, have you arranged a mortgage to pay the optician? I quite forgot to arrange one before choosing my new glasses last week.  It would be a good idea for them to do part exchanges.

A couple of years ago I donated a lot of old ones for use in third world countries after a friend told me that Specsavers collected them, I don't know if they still do that  because I go to an independent optician but I have a collection again.

We use Vision Express for convenience. I have asked them about whether they have a collection point for unused glasses but they no longer do it. I think Specsavers are the same but if anyone knows different, I am sure they will let us know. There must be millions of pairs of unused glasses throughout the country that could help those who may need them. The buy one, get one free or heavily reduced offers that opticians  promote doesn’t help in this respect. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Barlows.jpg.6fe29d1dd67a99f2ccb0caf9c7292850.jpgWell here we are again all together.Picked them up from the station at 1.15 having been on the go since 5.Barlow1.jpg.78f8ff311a4d3e05b6d42cbcbce7c9bf.jpg

You all certainly seem to be in a spin that's for sure🙃

Pleased you all arrived safely.

Sis

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I used an Abacus😁

Avril

I used a Facit, Swedish handcranked calculator in one of my early jobs, and became quite fast using it. However by the late 60s desk top electronic calculators were taking over, anyone remember ANITA, soon followed by handheld devices.

27 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I used a Facit, Swedish handcranked calculator in one of my early jobs, and became quite fast using it. However by the late 60s desk top electronic calculators were taking over, anyone remember ANITA, soon followed by handheld devices.

I remember Facit, I never used one but some of the ladies in our pay department used them and others used comptometers which were large machines.

Did anyone who worked IT in the 70s have to know octodecimal or hexadecimal, I remember having to work out where programs were failing when the memory dump was in hexadecimal on Honeywell level 6 machines and octodecimal on the Honeywell mainframe.  The joys of being called out at all hours of the night when something went wrong on the shop floor systems and was holding up production.  I really loved getting up at 2 am on a snowy night.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, pete14 said:

Its self seeded in the patio ... behind a pot with a 5 ft Sweet Chestnut sapling I'm struggling to rehome! 

Good luck with the eye tests !

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

We use Vision Express for convenience. I have asked them about whether they have a collection point for unused glasses but they no longer do it. I think Specsavers are the same but if anyone knows different, I am sure they will let us know. There must be millions of pairs of unused glasses throughout the country that could help those who may need them. The buy one, get one free or heavily reduced offers that opticians  promote doesn’t help in this respect. 

Vision Express just updated my lenses and out them in the same frames. Saved us a lot of money. Same for my prescription sunglasses. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Vision Express just updated my lenses and out them in the same frames. Saved us a lot of money. Same for my prescription sunglasses. 

That is an option we have used before but there always seems to be a cunning offer that means you have to pay more. 

9 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

The cheapest 'bricks and mortar' optician by a long way is ASDA.

They do not charge extra if you need thinner lenses because you have a 'strong' prescription, do not charge extra for varifocal lenses, and don't charge any extra for coatings.

I have bought glasses from them for less than £50 that because I need a strong prescription and thinner lenses would have cost hundreds of pounds from other opticians.

Edited by 9265359
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Vision Express, cunnining offer .. never 😉

When went to our local store there was an old guy stood at the window trying to open it to

get out of the store .I called him over to me and opened the door for him .

It was like a scene with Eli out of the Last Of The Summer Wine ! 

He had left his glasses with them to call back later on .

I note some of you seem concerned about needing glasses but you shouldn't stress about

your eyesight failing as you get older...

It’s nature’s way of protecting you from shock as you walk past the mirror.🙃

Have a good day everyone 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

News re requesting repeat meds.  I have just spoken to the Surgery and no, you cannot reorder over the phone, must come to the surgery.  Nice receptionist says that you have to bend the rules, phone up and say you can't get to the surgery as you are pretty well housebound, and they will then do the ordering.  She agreed it is not a very satisfactory solution, and applies to lots of people, but management decided the rule!

Thanks for the help and advice from many of you.  Sadly commonsense does not seem to work in the management department of my GPs.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, pete14 said:

We went to our local Specsavers yesterday. They had a collection point for old glasses - I’ll be taking some of ours in when I collect my new ones next week.

• Like 1