P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Morning.

It’s been a bit manic since our cruise. Mr B had a nasty bout of covid, was off work for 10 days, the first time he’s ever needed to be off work for that length of time due to sickness. At the same time our son-in-law ate some dodgy chicken cooked (or undercooked chicken as it turned out) by a friend of his and he got a bad case of salmonella, they had the paramedics out to him at one point. 😳

All better now although Mr B is still exhausted. We are driving mum and dad down to Fareham this afternoon, staying overnight then taking them to Southampton tomorrow for their Arvia cruise. It’s the Southampton boat show so we’re expecting it to be very busy. 
We’ve booked to have Sunday lunch at the Harbour Hotel once we’ve dropped them off, fortunately they have an early boarding time.

I wish we were going too but I’ll have to be content with ship watching 😊

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I haven't had an hip op, but my sister has had both knees done with an injection and said it was much better, and she thought safer at her age of 79, than a general anaesthetic. They allowed her to bring some music to listen to using headphones too. Your hospital might do the same.

Avril

I'm pleased to hear your sister is well after 2 knee replacement operations Avril.

My worry was stopping Aspirin blood thinner before a general anaesthetic but I was told it would be an injection instead.

Next week I have my skin cancer check up.

I have an appointment next month for another hip assessment.

So far touch wood my second steroid injection in my knee 5 months ago has been good.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I'm pleased to hear your sister is well after 2 knee replacement operations Avril.

My worry was stopping Aspirin blood thinner before a general anaesthetic but I was told it would be an injection instead.

Next week I have my skin cancer check up.

I have an appointment next month for another hip assessment.

So far touch wood my second steroid injection in my knee 5 months ago has been good.

My DW was switched to Tinzaparin from Warfarin blood thinner for her recent op, and it worked well for her.

• Like 2

When I had endovascular surgery in May I had a general.  I was shocked hat it took five hours.  I asked how my heart had behaved etc (had heart attack a while ago) and they said 'perfectly',

But when I had metal put in my leg/ankle (abroad) it was just 3 and a half hours and I was awake.  Horrible that was. No one spoke English so I just laid there.  No music, and no reassuring chat or nurse.   At one point I could see my foot in the light fittings and door fittings, and it was terrible trying to point and  yell "I can see".  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

My DW was switched to Tinzaparin from Warfarin blood thinner for her recent op, and it worked well for her.

After my heart attack in December 2020 I was prescribed Ticagrelor blood thinner for 1 year after I had 1 stent fitted along with 75mg Aspirin.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I think that a lot of people are in the same situation as you and your wife unfortunately.  Most younger people are like you and have had to change their retirement plans.  We have all worked and contributed to our pension plans expecting to have a comfortable retirement and I feel that a large number of people have been cheated with the closure of final pension schemes.

There is a sandwich generation here in Scotland that I feel the most sorry for, those from about 41 to 59 ish. They won’t get final salary pensions, the retirement age has gone up, they paid the high interest rates and house prices and they never got all the multitude of benefits now on offer to young people up here but they are paying the much higher taxes required to fund those benefits.

Those just a little bit older get gold plated pensions, retirement at 60 / 65 and lower house purchase prices.

Those younger got free university places in large numbers, free bus passes, best start grants, universal free nursery places, baby boxes and school meals etc for their children and for those on lower wages numerous other additional Scottish benefits.

So the baby boomers, milenials and gen z have all won some and lost some. Those in gen X has lost out both ways.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Been very lucky with my police pension. Retired at 50, been retired 27 years. We had the best of times with rent allowance, which is long gone.

There used to be designated housing for then Police and district nurses up here. It all got sold of 40 plus years ago, nice houses.

Retirement at 50 is a pipe dream now but do we really want 67 year old Police and fire fighters.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

There used to be designated housing for then Police and district nurses up here. It all got sold of 40 plus years ago, nice houses.

Retirement at 50 is a pipe dream now but do we really want 67 year old Police and fire fighters.

Dixon of Dock Green must have been 90odd.

• Haha 6

20 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I was in a MQ and you either got rent free quarters or a rent allowance. When the regulations were changed allowing all officers to buy a house, rent allowance was stopped for new recruits but serving officers kept it and it was frozen. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

They could always work in the office. In SWAT the police chief is about 97.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

On a serious note do we want 67+ bricklayers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1