P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

10 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I use Morrison's. I used to use Asda, but they have gone down a lot imo, and a lot of stuff is out of stock all the time. Nice helpful delivery drivers though.

Avril

Like you, Avril, we’re very much reliant on deliveries, and Tesco has proved to be the best of a not very good bunch. We’ve tried the lot and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Ocado is by far the most reliable and comprehensive, but the prices are ludicrous.  Iceland is great for prices, with free delivery too, but very limited. Aldi is our ideal for the quality it offers - considerably better than Tesco on own label, and we avoid all brands wherever possible - and they do do click and collect for £5. Once our Tesco delivery pass expires we’ll switch entirely to Aldi with an occasional Waitrose top up.

By the way, I think you mentioned that I’d been posting on other cruise forums - not me! An imposter! You were absolutely right about the reason for the absence though. Not remotely offended by anyone here - a tremendous bunch of people I wish we’d met on cruises (maybe we did?) - but other topics off limit here are my main interest and I’ve been discussing them in more appropriate places. Only so many hours in the day!

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Morrison's have always had them, so far that is🤞. I buy 6 x 150g punnets every week and they keep well in the 'fridge. We've 2 bushes in the garden too.

Avril

I’ll try Morrison’s 👍.  Like you we have them with breakfast (along with raspberries for 3 days a week as they don’t keep so well) I won’t be planting blueberry bushes though; I planted strawberries this year in a trough and by the time I bought plants, compost and netting, I think they worked out at £1 a strawberry!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I tried Morrisons, but sadly got a miserable young man who didn't want to help in any way, and quite a few things were not available.  I should probably have given them another chance, though.  I think they are excellent in some departments, like interesting breads.

Funny you should say that - they do have a good bread section. We can also get same day deliveries from them via Amazon, which is occasionally useful.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I’ll try Morrison’s 👍.  Like you we have them with breakfast (along with raspberries for 3 days a week as they don’t keep so well) I won’t be planting blueberry bushes though; I planted strawberries this year in a trough and by the time I bought plants, compost and netting, I think they worked out at £1 a strawberry!

My wife kept hens as a hobby a few years back - absolutely loved it. Quite apart from the utter destruction of the bottom of the garden, where they lived, I reckon the eggs cost a couple of pounds each after factoring in the cost of the hen house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

32 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

My wife kept hens as a hobby a few years back - absolutely loved it. Quite apart from the utter destruction of the bottom of the garden, where they lived, I reckon the eggs cost a couple of pounds each after factoring in the cost of the hen house.

We're surrounded by chickens here Harry.One will start cockerdoodling about half a mile away at 4 in the morning and his mate 100 yards away joins in for a chinwag.Used to it now but people staying with us not so much.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We're surrounded by chickens here Harry.One will start cockerdoodling about half a mile away at 4 in the morning and his mate 100 yards away joins in for a chinwag.Used to it now but people staying with us not so much.

I’ve lost touch a bit Brian - are you in Italy at the moment? 

43 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Used to buy a kilo of 4 mixed frozen berries from Sainsbury for 3 quid.They became more and more out of stock so Lidl do the same deal.They do go a bit heavy on the strawberry ratio though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’ve lost touch a bit Brian - are you in Italy at the moment? 

From the 15th August till we start our 4 day drive back on the 7th October.A good stint this one.Nice to hear from you again Harry.

• Like 9

Hi all,

Been busy since I got back from our cruise which was late docking at Southampton on Friday due to bad weather therefore didn't get home until the evening. I then had an early start on Saturday as went up to Exeter for a craft show. Was feeling a bit rough on Sunday, with a cold coming, but tested today and it's covid😳. We're supposed to going away again next week too.🤞

Off to check what's been happening.

Pam

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Hi all,

Been busy since I got back from our cruise which was late docking at Southampton on Friday due to bad weather therefore didn't get home until the evening. I then had an early start on Saturday as went up to Exeter for a craft show. Was feeling a bit rough on Sunday, with a cold coming, but tested today and it's covid😳. We're supposed to going away again next week too.🤞

Pam

Really sorry to hear that Pam.  Hope you manage to shake it off quickly, and in good time for next week.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Our deliveries via Morrisons for us delivery pass holders will be around 18th Oct 

and the general public will get theirs soon after.

We also use TESCO as we like their "Low salt/ Sugar " range of sauces etc.

Both the companies and their drivers are brilliant with us ,we could not ask for better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Like you, Avril, we’re very much reliant on deliveries, and Tesco has proved to be the best of a not very good bunch. We’ve tried the lot and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Ocado is by far the most reliable and comprehensive, but the prices are ludicrous.  Iceland is great for prices, with free delivery too, but very limited. Aldi is our ideal for the quality it offers - considerably better than Tesco on own label, and we avoid all brands wherever possible - and they do do click and collect for £5. Once our Tesco delivery pass expires we’ll switch entirely to Aldi with an occasional Waitrose top up.

By the way, I think you mentioned that I’d been posting on other cruise forums - not me! An imposter! You were absolutely right about the reason for the absence though. Not remotely offended by anyone here - a tremendous bunch of people I wish we’d met on cruises (maybe we did?) - but other topics off limit here are my main interest and I’ve been discussing them in more appropriate places. Only so many hours in the day!

As neither of us can drive now we are restricted to weekly home deliveries which is better in more ways than one. I buy the items I need for that particular week and can't wander around buying things I don't need🙄

If I'm bored sometimes I'll nosy through other cruise forums and I must have mistaken you for someone else. Silly when you think about it as there's really only one Harry😉

It's nice having the occasional chat with you again Harry. Don't leave it so long next time, we tend to worry.

Avril

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

If I'm bored sometimes I'll nosy through other cruise forums and I must have mistaken you for someone else. Silly when you think about it as there's really only one Harry😉

It's nice having the occasional chat with you again Harry. Don't leave it so long next time, we tend to worry.

Avril

This is so true ...... I'd taken to Googling Harry's name ...... which was quite interesting in itself, but didn't help me 'hunt' him down 😁

• Haha 5

Hello all.  I got back from my cruise on Arcadia about 10 days ago but have been busy catching up with work since my return.

I've tried to read all the posts on this thread and think I'm up to date now!  I do love the friendly community feel on here.

I'll try to do a separate thread soon on my thoughts on my cruise in case anyone might be interested to read that.  I'm so impressed with those who are able to blog daily whilst away.

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

This is so true ...... I'd taken to Googling Harry's name ...... which was quite interesting in itself, but didn't help me 'hunt' him down 😁

Goodness!  I’m not any of those!!! Always very keen on web anonymity for all the usual security reasons - you too, I guess?  How’s the Post Office? 😉

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Sarah1974 said:

I'm so impressed with those who are able to blog daily whilst away.

So am I Sarah, but I just couldn't do it!

Look forward to reading bout your cruise.

As an aside... I think that is more than 3 of us came home with  C*%$% very recently.   That's just us.   I wonder what the numbers  really are after cruises at the moment.  I suspect quite high.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

As an aside... I think that is more than 3 of us came home with  C*%$% very recently.   That's just us.   I wonder what the numbers  really are after cruises at the moment.  I suspect quite high.

I’m very grateful that neither me nor my two cabin friends got it, although I have heard reports of others since we got home.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

So am I Sarah, but I just couldn't do it!

Look forward to reading bout your cruise.

I hadn’t liked to mention that, but I have been noticing this trend. My husband and myself came back with it from our cruise in August. 

• Like 2

It's been a glorious, hot sunny day here.  Very rarely am I at home on my celebration day (my 68th birthday today after bring told 30 years ago i'd most likely not make 40) so someone has been smiling on me. 

I mentioned I bought a lot of roses a couple of weeks back, all of which had been heavily pruned. This afternoon while having a wander in the garden I found this beautiful bloom on one of them. Strangely it's called "My Lovely Dad" so I think he's sent me a present!

20230925_164747.jpg

20230925_164742.jpg

• Like 26

5 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I'm impressed that you still have blueberries Avril.  None in Tesco (delivery or in store) or M&S in my bit of Lancashire.  Anyone else having problems getting them?

There is a blueberry shortage apparently, due to climate related problems in Peru and elsewhere,

https://www.freshplaza.com/europe/article/9556049/i-expect-the-blueberry-shortage-to-continue-at-least-until-mid-late-october/

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Our deliveries via Morrisons for us delivery pass holders will be around 18th Oct 

and the general public will get theirs soon after.

We also use TESCO as we like their "Low salt/ Sugar " range of sauces etc.

Both the companies and their drivers are brilliant with us ,we could not ask for better.

I have a Tesco mobile phone. Just got a £3 club card voucher.  DW needed a prescription dispensed on Sunday. All the pharmacies were closed. No call for it. We went to Tesco. Would you like to wait for it..about 10 minutes. So coffee and a sandwich in a nice in store coffee shop. Perhaps they have gained a couple of new customers. Diesel looked quite cheap as well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

It's been a glorious, hot sunny day here.  Very rarely am I at home on my celebration day (my 68th birthday today after bring told 30 years ago i'd most likely not make 40) so someone has been smiling on me. 

I mentioned I bought a lot of roses a couple of weeks back, all of which had been heavily pruned. This afternoon while having a wander in the garden I found this beautiful bloom on one of them. Strangely it's called "My Lovely Dad" so I think he's sent me a present!

20230925_164747.jpg

20230925_164742.jpg

Happy Birthday Megabear, have a great day.

It has also been a nice day here, I have been sat in lovely warm sun this afternoon, we also got our flu jabs this morning so fully jabbed up for next weeks Aurora cruise. Happy days.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Problem for me buying those chocolates early is I eat them early 😇😋

We are already half way through a tin of quality street, you have to make sure they taste the same as last year don’t you…..

Michelle

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Sarah1974 said:

Hello all.  I got back from my cruise on Arcadia about 10 days ago but have been busy catching up with work since my return.

I've tried to read all the posts on this thread and think I'm up to date now!  I do love the friendly community feel on here.

I'll try to do a separate thread soon on my thoughts on my cruise in case anyone might be interested to read that.  I'm so impressed with those who are able to blog daily whilst away.

I'm pleased you had a wonderful cruise Sarah and of course I'm sure we would all like to hear your cruise thoughts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, purplesea said:

Hi all,

Pam

Hope you are not too ill and only have mild symptoms and recover quickly 

Michelle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1