P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

And Ken Dodd was very fortunate indeed to have had a Liverpool jury. Anywhere else in the country and he’d have ended up in prison like Piggott.

How tickled he was.

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

And Ken Dodd was very fortunate indeed to have had a Liverpool jury. Anywhere else in the country and he’d have ended up in prison like Piggott.

‘Thirty Bob Kid’, an autobiography written by Dave Dutton, a journalist-turned-actor, contains a few chapters on the years when he was a scriptwriter for Doddy and is quite enlightening about Ken Dodd’s relationship to money.  So much so that a fellow scriptwriter to Doddy suggested they should write a book and call it ‘How tickled we weren’t’. 

• Like 2

Morning 12.c wet and looking bleak this morning. Think autumn is here now.

Weird people can pop up when you least expect them .

The other day we were traveling towards our local school, which has road ramps

and a zebra crossing . It was  about 11 am and we were doing about 20 mph , which we do near any school entrance , no other cars in sight .

A lady came out of the school gates ,looked towards our car and walked as fast as she could towards the crossing as though she was in a rush to cross the road.

By now we had stopped at the crossing,so she could cross over.

Now with a few yards to the crossing she took the tiniest steps,stopped did the green cross code ,

then gazed up into the sky for another ten seconds or so , then she looked at us whilst dipping her toe onto the crossing like it was a swimming pool before stepping back .

Then just calmly walked off with a big grin on her face .

What was all that about ?  I expect it maybe with young children but a fully grown woman ?

Just plain weird !🤔

• Like 7

I have just got back from the school drop off and the roads are horrendous due to the torrential rain our 15 minute journey took 25 minutes today.  I was amazed to see how many of the children weren't wearing coats, just a blazer  including my nephew.

For those who live in Stoke and may know the Lightwood area, Gravelly Bank running down to Lightwood Road is currently a river.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have just got back from the school drop off and the roads are horrendous due to the torrential rain our 15 minute journey took 25 minutes today.  I was amazed to see how many of the children weren't wearing coats, just a blazer  including my nephew.

For those who live in Stoke and may know the Lightwood area, Gravelly Bank running down to Lightwood Road is currently a river.

I see the same pouring with rain this morning here, seen children walking to local secondary school in their blazers, as they have to wear them in class at this school, I can’t imagine sitting in a soaking wet blazer all day is a good idea 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Therefore it is an extra revenue stream twice over! Our green bin has been chargeable for many years and before that we had to pay for brown sacks which were in packs of 10. The green bin cost £66 in June this year with each addition one costing the same.

Am I being naive or simply living in the past, but isn't rubbish collection included in the council tax?🤔

Avril

Morning all,

Sorry to rub it in, but sunny and still hot here, currently 26c, although Google has kindly informed me it is raining at home🙄

There was plenty of choice of seats for our January flight to Tenerife this morning, so they are now booked.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I see the same pouring with rain this morning here, seen children walking to local secondary school in their blazers, as they have to wear them in class at this school, I can’t imagine sitting in a soaking wet blazer all day is a good idea 🤷‍♂️

When I went to secondary school I had a Kagol in my bag to wear over my blazer if it rained😇. In middle (junior) school, canvas parkas were the fashion with ‘fur’ edging, the smell of those drying out in the cloakroom I remember to this day. I also remember those who got very wet on the way to primary school had to go to lost property and had given the most uncoordinated shorts and shirt combinations😂

Other primary school memories are saw dust being put down if a child had been sick and the medical room which only had few treatments, basically witch hazel for bumps and bruises, and dettol, savlon (germalene) with a plaster for grazes and cuts.

• Like 1

Well I have just seen it all now 🤣

OH can flash the cash say in a restaurant,  or on cruises etc, but having worked 7 days a week in the past, sometimes I think he thinks it's still the '70s.  Some call him Mr. 1970!!!  On selling  up, as you don't know him personally I can say, he gave most of the proceeds to younger members of his family to get them on the property ladder.

On the other hand he can be frugal  He was when he lived alone.

Anyway got  lunch guests arriving in half an hour, so asked him to get serviettes out of he drawer, but not those at the bottom they are all creased.  Get nice ones I said.

A few minutes later I turned round and he was  ironing them    I cannot believe he did that🤣❤️

get a life luv   xxx

• Haha 10

16 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

OH can flash the cash say in a restaurant,  or on cruises etc, but having worked 7 days a week in the past, sometimes I think he thinks it's still the '70s.  Some call him Mr. 1970!!!  On selling  up, as you don't know him personally I can say, he gave most of the proceeds to younger members of his family to get them on the property ladder.

Anyway got  lunch guests arriving in half an hour, so asked him to get serviettes out of he drawer, but not those at the bottom they are all creased.  Get nice ones I said.

A few minutes later I turned round and he was  ironing them    I cannot believe he did that🤣❤️

get a life luv   xxx

Sounds a thoroughly decent bloke - stick with him!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Am I being naive or simply living in the past, but isn't rubbish collection included in the council tax?🤔

Avril

No not naive but councils take us for fools!  They'll charge what they can get away with and "garden" waste apparently isn't rubbish.

The one I love is kerbside collection of large items.  Here its £31 an item.  Unfortunately my friends' kitchen flooded late last year with several major appliances ruined including an American fridge freezer.  Collection booked in June when their claim settled - £93 in total - but when the collection van arrived they don't take American fridge freezers because they're too large.  I was puzzled when told this as I thought the whole point of paying for a collection was that the item is too large to take to the centre yourself.  The result is the fridge freezer is stil in their garden while they try to find a man with a van prepared to take it for disposal and they're still waiting for their refund.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

‘Thirty Bob Kid’, an autobiography written by Dave Dutton, a journalist-turned-actor, contains a few chapters on the years when he was a scriptwriter for Doddy and is quite enlightening about Ken Dodd’s relationship to money.  So much so that a fellow scriptwriter to Doddy suggested they should write a book and call it ‘How tickled we weren’t’. 

Doddy’s profligacy with money was well documented. Despite being extremely wealthy he spent his whole life in the house that had been owned by his coal merchant dad and mum.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

No not naive but councils take us for fools!  They'll charge what they can get away with and "garden" waste apparently isn't rubbish.

The one I love is kerbside collection of large items.  Here its £31 an item.  Unfortunately my friends' kitchen flooded late last year with several major appliances ruined including an American fridge freezer.  Collection booked in June when their claim settled - £93 in total - but when the collection van arrived they don't take American fridge freezers because they're too large.  I was puzzled when told this as I thought the whole point of paying for a collection was that the item is too large to take to the centre yourself.  The result is the fridge freezer is stil in their garden while they try to find a man with a van prepared to take it for disposal and they're still waiting for their refund.

To be fair to local authorities, though, they’ve had around 30% of their income removed by central government over the last few years and they’ve got no alternative if they’re not to go the way of Birmingham and the various other councils in serious financial difficulties. They have statutory responsibilities they have to fulfil, and that takes up most of the remaining income. Charges for green bins, car parks and everything else they have control over are unfortunately inevitable if councils aren’t to go bust.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Morning 12.c wet and looking bleak this morning. Think autumn is here now.

Weird people can pop up when you least expect them .

The other day we were traveling towards our local school, which has road ramps

and a zebra crossing . It was  about 11 am and we were doing about 20 mph , which we do near any school entrance , no other cars in sight .

A lady came out of the school gates ,looked towards our car and walked as fast as she could towards the crossing as though she was in a rush to cross the road.

By now we had stopped at the crossing,so she could cross over.

Now with a few yards to the crossing she took the tiniest steps,stopped did the green cross code ,

then gazed up into the sky for another ten seconds or so , then she looked at us whilst dipping her toe onto the crossing like it was a swimming pool before stepping back .

Then just calmly walked off with a big grin on her face .

What was all that about ?  I expect it maybe with young children but a fully grown woman ?

Just plain weird !🤔

Are you sure she wasn’t an apparition? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The result is the fridge freezer is stil in their garden while they try to find a man with a van prepared to take it for disposal and they're still waiting for their refund.

What they need is a cunning plan .

I would treat myself to a mini wine fridge from Currys , on purchase they offer to dispose of your old fridge for £15 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

When I went to secondary school I had a Kagol in my bag to wear over my blazer if it rained😇. In middle (junior) school, canvas parkas were the fashion with ‘fur’ edging, the smell of those drying out in the cloakroom I remember to this day. I also remember those who got very wet on the way to primary school had to go to lost property and had given the most uncoordinated shorts and shirt combinations😂

Other primary school memories are saw dust being put down if a child had been sick and the medical room which only had few treatments, basically witch hazel for bumps and bruises, and dettol, savlon (germalene) with a plaster for grazes and cuts.

We also had raincoats that folded up into our satchels at grammer school they had to be bottle green to fit in with the school uniform. 

At primary and junior school there were no rules about what we wore.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

get a life luv   xxx

He’s not related to Ken Dodd by any chance, is he?

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Grandad John said:

Doddy’s profligacy with money was well documented. Despite being extremely wealthy he spent his whole life in the house that had been owned by his coal merchant dad and mum.

Well he did have to look after the jam butty mines 😂 Doddy was a huge supporter of the NHS and hosted the NHS carol concert in Liverpool every year whilst he was well enough to do it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

To be fair to local authorities, though, they’ve had around 30% of their income removed by central government over the last few years and they’ve got no alternative if they’re not to go the way of Birmingham and the various other councils in serious financial difficulties. They have statutory responsibilities they have to fulfil, and that takes up most of the remaining income. Charges for green bins, car parks and everything else they have control over are unfortunately inevitable if councils aren’t to go bust.

I'm not complaining Harry, I more than most am well aware of the difficulties of local councils.  Here we have a duplication with Wiltshire Council having a cunning plan to palm off items needing serious repairs due to neglect by them to the City and parish councils.  This allows them to stay within the 5% council tax rise but forces the other local councils to make huge increases in their share of the overall council tax bill.  This year we had 43.8% increase in the City tax.  Elsewhere in Wiltshire some parish councils faced 60-70% increases.  It's all quite legal.

11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Looking back to the mid 70's going into the 80's ,makes you wonder what went wrong with our towns . Ours used to have 4 cafes a restaurant and a steak house (evenings) all run by the council.

Now we have out of town shopping centres and fast food outlets .

The towns not too bad if you like betting shops charities and a town centre Tesco where everyone parks to save paying the council carparks .

Progress ?  Onwards and upwards as they say 🤔😒

• Like 3