P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

On 10/12/2023 at 10:53 AM, Splice the mainbrace said:

Here we have a black rubbish bin, a grey one for all recycling and a brown bin for garden/food waste. I have for many years paid for a second garden waste bin due to the size of our garden but from the end of this year there are no ‘free’ first garden bins and the council will charge £56 per bin, so for me x2.

FB_IMG_1697457370166.jpg.0d4b47ee42ef1d6077d47e45f76df908.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 10/12/2023 at 11:01 AM, Splice the mainbrace said:

I’m trying to arrange an annual gas boiler service. The engineer that fitted our boiler 16 years ago and has serviced it every year since then has retired. I paid him  £60 per service, I’ve contacted another recommended engineer and he has come back with a quote of £120+vat (£144), so will get more quotes. I know that that my long standing engineer was charging a ‘mates rate’ but the new charge seems a bit steep for a 30 to 45 minutes visit. What have other people been charged for a gas boiler service?

Whilst I have our gas engineer here ,who is finishing off with our new fitted boiler .

I have asked him about our annual boiler service .

He wants £40 for it's first service and then £60 there after the following year .

He's a one man band ,so maybe have a shop around away from the big boys .

• Like 1

Just now, kalos said:

Whilst I have our gas engineer here ,who is finishing off with our new fitted boiler .

He wants £40 for it's first service and then £60 there after the following year .

Thanks for your feedback.

I've now had 3 quotes, the £144 one and subsequently a £95 and £90 all from 'one man bands' (or otherwise known as solos artists).

• Like 2

After a glorious sunny day yesterday, today has been a real mixed bag but at least dry. The friends who were staying with me last week went back yesterday so I am now catching up with all the things I didn't get done whilst they were here...😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kalos said:

TBH modern boilers don't even need servicing,just flue readings.Not like the old days with verdigree and soot,lol.Breakdown cover would be a better bet covering parts and labour.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

This Welsh girl hates rugby so I’m really not bothered that Wales are out.

Football is another matter, and last night’s result was amazing! 

Next you'll be telling us you don't like Tom Jones.That would be unusual.

• Haha 8

11 minutes ago, brian1 said:

TBH modern boilers don't even need servicing,just flue readings.Not like the old days with verdigree and soot,lol.Breakdown cover would be a better bet covering parts and labour.

Yeah that's what the fitter said  and the good news is it's covered for the next 5 years .

Went for the Ideal model , same brand as the old one that lasted almost 30 years .

All I need is him to come service it at least once a year .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well it’s proper autumn here now. Cold and sunny, the maximum tempt today was 10 degrees and it dropped to 1 degree over night last night. The heavy curtains are being pulled now to keep in the heat and while I still have shorts on today (and a fleece) I may just have to look out the long trousers for the first time since March.

We were out to dinner last night and my sister had her log fire on. It’s lovely to sit with a nice glass of something, good conversation and a cosy crackling fire in the hearth.

Did a bit of Christmas shopping over this weekend and started stocking up on nice food and wines. I have my Asda Christmas slot booked for basics and looking at my butchers order for the Turkey from the local farm, steak pies etc. I know it’s only October but we have lots of plans over the next 6 weeks.

My annual cheese advent Callander is ordered. I have the family advents as well, everything from Nespresso and Kath Kidson to fancy teas. I stopped doing Christmas cards years ago and get advent Callander's instead which they seem to enjoy.

Feeling fairly organised (and slightly smug).

Hope it’s not too cold where you are.

You are well organised.   I’d take bets on there being a cruise tucked into those “plans in the next six weeks!   Love the sound of your advent calendars.   I’m off to my daughter’s in Athens on Thursday so can stock up on a bit more sunshine before the winter chill really sets in.   😎

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ilovemygarden said:

You are well organised.   I’d take bets on there being a cruise tucked into those “plans in the next six weeks!   Love the sound of your advent calendars.   I’m off to my daughter’s in Athens on Thursday so can stock up on a bit more sunshine before the winter chill really sets in.   😎

Oh yes there is indeed.

Enjoy Athens.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Cold day but dry. Last grass cut for me, next will be mid March. Emptied the lawn mower of petrol, Fresh in the Spring. I made the mistake of trying to start it a couple of years ago with stale petrol in it.

I’m hoping that it’s our last cut of the year as well.

The garden is looking tidy now and I would like it to stay that way over the winter.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m hoping that it’s our last cut of the year as well.

The garden is looking tidy now and I would like it to stay that way over the winter.

If it snows they all look clean and tidy 😉

Not much chance of that today 6.c fog/mist  and a weather warning for rain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hazy sun, light breeze and 8c here currently, I hope that the ‘storm’ tomorrow and into Thursday isn’t too bad.

I got some tasks done yesterday that I’ve been putting off. Booked cruise parking for November/December, opticians eye test, garden bin payment, over priced boiler service (just need to get it done) and contacted joiner to replace rotten strut on open porch. I’ve still got to contact edf with them suddenly over estimating our electricity use even though we are on a smart meter, they estimate 7000 kWh per year when we use more like 3000 so it is reflecting in our monthly DD. So busy being retired😅

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
  • Like 4

Another bright but very cold day.  I have no plans other than to stay warm in the house. 

My temperature is down to 37.1°c so I have done a covid test this morning and it is negative after 4 days but I am still not going for my walk today and when I go tomorrow I will be wearing my mask.

• Like 7

Fairly windy here, gusting to 47 mph at Lands End, & rain showers, but not too heavy. Have put off making the Xmas cake in case the power goes, I’ve got 2 bowls of dried fruit marinating nicely with a cocktail of alcohol gifts left in the cupboard, smelling good anyway. Question of the day, anyone used butter or lard for their homemade mincemeat instead of suet?? 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

Fairly windy here, gusting to 47 mph at Lands End, & rain showers, but not too heavy. Have put off making the Xmas cake in case the power goes, I’ve got 2 bowls of dried fruit marinating nicely with a cocktail of alcohol gifts left in the cupboard, smelling good anyway. Question of the day, anyone used butter or lard for their homemade mincemeat instead of suet?? 

Mary Berry has a recipe using butter.

https://www.maryberry.co.uk/recipes/christmas/special-mincemeat

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caullkhead said:

I use butter 

• Like 3

Good afternoon everyone, hope everyone is ok today. 

It is bright but breezy here today, just walked the dogs and the wind was blowing quite a bit across the golf course.

I have been to a coffee group this morning but not planning on doing much this afternoon. I might look into the Nationwide bank account. 

We are going to a Halloween Party too, me as Cruella and my hubby ad a Dalmatian. I need to find a wig so I will have to look for that too.

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

We are going to a Halloween Party too, me as Cruella and my hubby ad a Dalmatian. I need to find a wig so I will have to look for that too.

I remember our local pub having a Halloween party ,everyone had great costumes, a lot

tried giving me a hard time as I dressed as normal and told them I was a werewolf .

They complained  that I didn't look like one until I explained tonight is not a full moon 😉

Have a good time 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Caullkhead said:

I use vegetable suet for mine. 

Avril

• Like 1