P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, kalos said:

What be this evil substance's you talk of ? Marzipan,glace cherries and candied peel😲

Never been a fan of icing sugar either. Ironic thing is I have to avoid sugary things for medical reasons these days 😒

Glad your feeling better , must admit I felt all over the place as well.

Joking apart ,take it easy , my o2 levels were low for well over a week .

My 2 O levels didn't do much good either.🤣

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, happy v said:

I have a fabulous recipe for hot cross bun bread and butter pudding. So we eat them all year round.

I'm sure it's lovely but no-one makes a better bread and butter pudding than the ones my mum used to make...😊

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Power in the village went off at 8.15, just came back.  Not much fun when it is dark.  Did make me feel a bit helpless and upset.  Only been in daylight in recent years.  Phew!!

We bought a  Lancaster Solar USB Camping Table Lamp for such events.

Can be charged via a USB as well as sun light .

Glad you now have your power back on .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

I'm sure it's lovely but no-one makes a better bread and butter pudding than the ones my mum used to make...😊

Well I say bread and butter because that is the concept. However the butter is replaced by chocolate. So different tastes but both utterly scrumptious 

• Like 3

Well.. I go of on a short coach trip, and as soon as my back is turned you do nearly three pages in a day.  Breakfast will be late today.🙂

OH has always said he wouldn't like a coach trip but saw one for London Christmas lights so booked it then someone mentioned a lunch mystery tour so I booked it out of devilment and  that is where we went yesterday.  It was fun, a country ride through Kentish villages then a stop in Canterbury then off to the seaside or a really good pub lunch and free timer.   It was a pleasant day and a very comfortable coach.

• Like 12

On 10/18/2023 at 9:42 AM, davecttr said:

Frustrating day yesterday. I waited in all day for a UPS delivery of items ordered Monday for express delivery, nothing arrived but tracking gave a clue to the cause of the shambles.

I live in Gillingham, Kent with a ME postcode

We live in your postcode too, on that famous roman road, and as there  are quite a few short bursts of the  road with the same name  in villages etc we sometimes have the same problem.  At one point we were receiving  lots of Police communications but we tumbled he lived in the next town with a similar address.

Good luck with all your lovely baking everyone.  I can cook nice meals but I have never been able to make good pastry or cakes.  Good old Morrisons/Waitrose do all my fancy Christmas cooking for me!!!!

I will not feel guilty... I will not feel guilty..........🤣☺️🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

14 hours ago, Britboys said:

So true. My mum's was different than the custard version though. She'd soak the bread in milk then mix in dried fruit, sugar, beaten egg, mixed spice and softened butter.  Press the whole lot into a buttered dish, dot with butter and bake. It was more like a stodgey cake than a pudding. Lovely with 'proper' custard.😋 I've tried to make them in the past, but they never turn out the same. I wish I'd taken more notice at the time.

Avril

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

We live in your postcode too, on that famous roman road, and as there  are quite a few short bursts of the  road with the same name  in villages etc we sometimes have the same problem.  At one point we were receiving  lots of Police communications but we tumbled he lived in the next town with a similar address.

Good luck with all your lovely baking everyone.  I can cook nice meals but I have never been able to make good pastry or cakes.  Good old Morrisons/Waitrose do all my fancy Christmas cooking for me!!!!

Wrong post & deliveries that’s nothing what about wrong address for scaffolding.

We we having external insulation on the house 8 years ago, one day I got a call from the installers to say they would be starting on Thursday now the scaffolding has been erected, I said what scaffolding?

Cue a panic at the other end of the line, 45 mins later owner of scaffolding company turns up and agrees we should have scaffolding because job is listed as complete on the system, the question was where had it been erected. Tried to contact scaffolders who by 6:30 in evening had gone home, eventually at 7:30 he returned to say they had tracked it down same house number, same street name, similar postcode, appears owner of that house had returned from work to find scaffolding around his property. Made an irate call to scaffolding company,  owner of the firm had to apologise profusely in person and then get the scaffolding removed next morning and erected at correct address. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

22 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Have you tried Niederegger dark chocolate coated marzipan chocolates Graham? They are amazing. I buy a 750g box as a treat for us over Christmas. They're expensive. but well worth every penny, and after all, it is only once a year.☺️

Avril

On a Baltic cruise I got the train from Travemunde into Lubeck and went to their shop and café. The famous Marzipan Torte was fabulous 😋

• Like 5

Did my stint at the museum yesterday morning and then managed to get round a few outside errands before the rain moved in. Lots of it but not torrential fortunately. Was a very dreary start earlier this morning but a bit brighter now. Light rain in the air and not too windy.

Got some admin to sort and will then try to get a swim & steam in this afternoon.

• Like 2

Further to my missive of last evening - the power went off again about 11.30, for 40 minutes.  I got two hours sleep, as I was afraid of not waking in time to go out at 8 for what I thought was a heart scan. (No,  I don't know how to do a wake up call).   Luckily got blue badge parking; then found out that I was down on the GPs request for a 24 hour monitor instead, but on hospital list for scan. After lovely staff spoke to the GPs, they found a monitor which I now have to wear and take back by 10.30 tomorrow.  I am quite capable of driving down there, but it is about 6 miles, and was not much fun at 8. a.m. today (for someone who is usually having breakfast at that time).  Plus only just really daylight.  I think it was GPs staff at fault.  If I did not have a heart problem before I might have now.  Not ideal for someone well over 85.

I think I have had enough now, after the planning decision and everything else!  Need some Niederegger, I think.  And a few peaceful days or weeks.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

Apparently Caesar and Brutus visited Dover and Brutus asked what was that shiny new road called? A2 Brutus Caesar replied.

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone

A very soggy 15 degrees here this morning. Still raining but very mild.

Having seen the Red Weather Warning, I just want to wish all our Scots friends a safe day.

Take care all.

Jane xx

I have the puddle pump at the ready and the bins tied down. We also got some petrol for the generator just in case, been a bit of lights flickering as there are 50 mile an hour winds but so far so good.

You can’t see out of the windows for the rain and we had to go out in it to rescue the plant pots as they were being blown all over the garden. These are very large, very heavy planters with mini trees in them.

We had flooding in the village centre a couple of weeks ago and this time the council have been out dredging the drainers and providing sand bags for some of the shops in the lower areas. The last lot of trees to come down have not been removed as yet but some enterprising person has cut away the large trunk sections, presumably for a wood burning stove- they left the rest!

Those in Angus & Aberdeenshire are getting the very worst of it. Their power was out for weeks with Storm Arwen, let’s hope it doesn’t happen to them again.

Stay safe all.

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, lincslady said:

think I have had enough now, after the planning decision and everything else!  Need some Niederegger, I think.  And a few peaceful days or weeks.

Was going to say open a bottle of wine and a box of Ferraros and get some nice magazines and enjoy, but perhaps the first two might not be a good idea today with the monitor!!!

What about tomorrow then...after the return of the equipment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Agree with Jane ,if the weather is bad where you are and you have no real reason 

to step outside ,stay in and stay safe .

Do you ever get that feeling ,it's going to be one of those days ? 😉🙃

clownfeet.jpeg.721978a341b930fabf6e43fd73216814.jpeg

We had no choice but to go out this morning. Flu jabs and.....

20231019_113339.jpg

• Like 12

Morning all,

Hope everyone is well.

Home again after what seemed a very long journey home yesterday. Flight was on time and managed to get an earlier train than that originally booked, thinking we would be home by 11 pm instead of half past midnight. Wrong! Train we caught at Reading was packed, standing room only when boarded, as previous train had been cancelled. The train then got later and later and we arrived back in Penzance only 10 minutes ahead of our original time. I hate to think how late we would have been if we hadn't caught the earlier train!😳

All your posts about Christmas cake, mince pies and chocolate makes me think that I had better get myself sorted too. I will also need to defrost my freezer first. 

Have just been talking to Mum and she has said that she has plenty of apples for me that I need to collect.

Pam 

• Like 10