P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

They know how serious it is but are handling it better than I thought that they would.  I am astounded that they are helping dad with the housework, they really are 2 of the most spoiled children that I know.

Poor wee souls, bad enough for the adults to have to deal with it.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Excellent news Phil.

I hope you have little or no pain and your recovery plan goes well.

I will be very interested how you get on.

Thanks Graham I am getting on well, not the best nights sleep but that was more to do with sleeping on my back as I don't actually have a lot of pain or no more than I had before the op. I am currently taking paracetamol only to see how that works, I do have codeine and oral morphine but I don't plan on using those unless desperate. Mobility is far better than I expected and have no issues walking short distances with crutches and getting up and down stairs.

I know I said it before but don't leave it too long before you have yours done, which is probably what I did, the surgeon said the ball on mine was badly worn and misshaped. I think I was very fortunate where I live as I had it done at a private hospital which funds knees and hips and only has five months waiting max.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Thanks Graham I am getting on well, not the best nights sleep but that was more to do with sleeping on my back as I don't actually have a lot of pain or no more than I had before the op. I am currently taking paracetamol only to see how that works, I do have codeine and oral morphine but I don't plan on using those unless desperate. Mobility is far better than I expected and have no issues walking short distances with crutches and getting up and down stairs.

I know I said it before but don't leave it too long before you have yours done, which is probably what I did, the surgeon said the ball on mine was badly worn and misshaped. I think I was very fortunate where I live as I had it done at a private hospital which funds knees and hips and only has five months waiting max.

Thank you Phil.

Very best wishes for your recovery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Phil my advise would be to take the pain relief if and when you need it, they would not have given it to you if it was not going to be needed.

Either codeine (which turns to morphine in the liver)  or morphine will help you sleep so perhaps take some before bedtime to get a decent sleep for a few days. Sleep will help with the healing process. 

Glad  it’s all going well so far.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hope you heal quickly @yorkshirephil, sorry to hear about your niece @Josy1953 feeling bad for the children especially. X 

Still pretty windy here, but not too bad. No damage except more of the empty house next doors chimney coming down on our drive & a large random plastic box lid has landed in our garden that no one has claimed so far! 
Ds has a job interview which fortunately has been changed to on line as there are no trains. 
Stay safe and warm everyone. I’m putting the kettle on if anyone want a drink 😅

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been for my walk to the beach and it was nice no windy just a bit of drizzle, the sea did look rough and you could see how far it had come up the beach plenty of people walking their dogs 🐕 so wasn’t they only one about. It looks like the wind it picking up and it’s now raining more. The only damage I have seen is the road opposite a tree has come down and blocking the road off.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Hi Phil

I hope you have a speedy recovery. I did as @Eglesbrech has suggested and took codeine at night for a couple of days after my shoulder replacement to help me sleep and it did the trick.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Looking grim and grey on the North Wales coast but not as bad as it was the other week. The rain has started now and the winds getting up... days like this when I'm glad we haven't got a dog !!

Charlie says that if that is now you think, he is glad you are not his human 🐶 (but he still likes the treats you give him). 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Charlie says that if that is now you think, he is glad you are not his human 🐶 (but he still likes the treats you give him). 

Then again I could always train Mr Presto to walk a dog whatever the weather ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can I ask a quick question of you knowledgeable folk. I don’t want to start a new thread and I can’t see a recent thread.

I'm finishing up a cruise on Britannia. I understood that gratuities were now part of the fare but wanted to give a little something to my cabin steward and waiter. I went down to  reception to get a couple of envelopes and asked to confirm that tips were automatically included. The girl on reception said there are no tips and staff don’t get anything. Is that right? I have tried googling but can’t see anything useful. I don’t know now whether leaving a smaller tip is offensive or if I should be leaving a much larger one.

5 minutes ago, gadabout60 said:

Can I ask a quick question of you knowledgeable folk. I don’t want to start a new thread and I can’t see a recent thread.

I'm finishing up a cruise on Britannia. I understood that gratuities were now part of the fare but wanted to give a little something to my cabin steward and waiter. I went down to  reception to get a couple of envelopes and asked to confirm that tips were automatically included. The girl on reception said there are no tips and staff don’t get anything. Is that right? I have tried googling but can’t see anything useful. I don’t know now whether leaving a smaller tip is offensive or if I should be leaving a much larger one.

Tips are included in the fare.

You do not need to tip anyone and most people will not because P&O sell the cruise as No Tips required so if you want to give a tip to your cabin Steward or waiter just hand the cash to them and thank them for looking after you.

• Like 4

Just reading over on the friendly cruise community forum, that despite being told they could not use the Tui evening bag drop, they were able do this at Bristol on a recent Malta charter flight.  So maybe it is worthwhile trying this for anyone overnighting in an airport hotel, or somewhere close.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gadabout60 said:

Thanks for that Graham. The receptionist implied that the staff get nothing at all. I will do as you suggest

When the gratuities were removed my understanding is that wages were increased overall, mainly by maintaining and improving the performance bonus they receive.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, gadabout60 said:

Thanks for that Graham. The receptionist implied that the staff get nothing at all. I will do as you suggest

Since the tips were rolled up into the fare we have always given the cabin steward a little extra and when we are on fixed dining we give the waiter and assistant waiter a little extra too.

I take small thank you cards and just put the money in the envelopes.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Just reading over on the friendly cruise community forum, that despite being told they could not use the Tui evening bag drop, they were able do this at Bristol on a recent Malta charter flight.  So maybe it is worthwhile trying this for anyone overnighting in an airport hotel, or somewhere close.

As long as the flight has a TOM prefix you can drop off the night b4 if the departure is up to a certain time.We are going to Morocco in Dec with TUI from LGW flying at 8am so can do the same.We are staying at Premier inn LGW North.

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

As long as the flight has a TOM prefix you can drop off the night b4 if the departure is up to a certain time.We are going to Morocco in Dec with TUI from LGW flying at 8am so can do the same.We are staying at Premier inn LGW North.

But this was a P&O charter flight, which P&O customer service keep telling passengers does not qualify for the night b4 drop off.

• Like 1

Another early morning, I was awake just after 4am again.

I am watching the news and I am once again stunned that the pictures of the storm show a man on the sea front with enormous waves washing over the sea wall. Will people ever learn that the sea is powerful and can very quickly, suddenly sweep someone off the land and into the sea.

Have a good day and stay safe wherever you are.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Another early morning, I was awake just after 4am again.

I am watching the news and I am once again stunned that the pictures of the storm show a man on the sea front with enormous waves washing over the sea wall. Will people ever learn that the sea is powerful and can very quickly, suddenly sweep someone off the land and into the sea.

Have a good day and stay safe wherever you are.

When I was working in Weston Super Mare back in 1997.I thought I'd drive my van on the seafront in a storm.It was 50 yards from the seawall and the waves were still crashing near me.I soon turned off,lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1