P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

My update seems so inconsequential after reading Sue’s news. I hope John isn’t in too much pain and you manage to sort something out for getting around with your Mum.

Yesterday I had another go at driving after my operation and all was going well, my shoulder felt much more comfortable than last time I tried, then someone pulled out from a side road and smashed into my side of the car. 😫

IMG_2378.jpeg

IMG_2377.jpeg

Oh no.

I hope the person who crashed into you is insured and you can claim against whoever did this. 

• Like 2

Morning everyone,

I got my weekends mixed up yesterday. I was thinking that Rememberance Sunday was this weekend, but it's next weekend!🙄

My daughter's birthday so we're all going out for a carvery meal this afternoon to celebrate.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

Morning everyone,

I got my weekends mixed up yesterday. I was thinking that Rememberance Sunday was this weekend, but it's next weekend!🙄

My daughter's birthday so we're all going out for a carvery meal this afternoon to celebrate.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.

Happy birthday to your dear daughter.

2307977cf11c329a3ea5ac4900a01b24.gif

• Thanks 1

It’s a nice day.  Blue sky and sunshine, with a fairly strong wind.  We’ve decided to take advantage of it being dry to have a few days at the caravan.  It survived last week’s crazy storms.  Just one (heavy) chair overturned on the deck and, rather worryingly, a piece of plastic obviously of caravan origin.  We’ve looked round ours and it seems to be intact.  Spoke to a maintenance guy who cheerily said - it could have come from any ‘van.  It might not even be from this site!

Anyway - have a good day everyone.  Hope you all get a bit of sunshine

• Like 7

Nice and sunny here too and a pleasant 12oC. We had a run out to J32 for coffee and a mooch this morning, it was heaving by 11:30, but the kids are still on holiday and it always starts getting busier on weekends leading up to Crimbo.

I am finding it easier to walk with one crutch now as I don't need to swing my legs together. Still a bit stiff around the hip area but even that is gradually wearing off. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Nice and sunny here too and a pleasant 12oC. We had a run out to J32 for coffee and a mooch this morning, it was heaving by 11:30, but the kids are still on holiday and it always starts getting busier on weekends leading up to Crimbo.

I am finding it easier to walk with one crutch now as I don't need to swing my legs together. Still a bit stiff around the hip area but even that is gradually wearing off. 

Sounds like you are making an excellent recovery- hope it continues.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,we've decided that with all the stress of Essex/London living to drop out of society to space out and meditate in Marrakesh.Luckily TUI are offering a 4star AI " commune" there for 7 days.We leave on the 12th Dec

• Like 13

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Hi all,we've decided that with all the stress of Essex/London living to drop out of society to space out and meditate in Marrakesh.Luckily TUI are offering a 4star AI " commune" there for 7 days.We leave on the 12th Dec

The first time I went to Marrakesh (I have been many times since) the riad I had booked in the centre of town offered to arrange a taxi for me. 

'Great' I thought, and the booking details arrived explaining that the taxi driver would be at the airport to collect us and take us to the central square where a 'chariot' would be waiting for us.

A 'chariot'????

Anyway I went along with it, and we arrived at the central square where a man was waiting with a home made wheelbarrow made out of planks of wood and pram wheels - Ah the 'chariot'.

However what followed next was hilarious as he put our suitcases in the 'chariot' and then set off at a run across the square and then down through the maze of alleys to the riad, with the narrow streets full of goods spilling out of shops, motorbikes and donkeys in the road, and all the while we were running to catch up and trying to remember the route - altogether rather like something out of Indiana Jones film...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

However what followed next was hilarious as he put our suitcases in the 'chariot' and then set off at a run across the square and then down through the maze of alleys to the riad, 

Must have been the Marrakesh express😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Grandad John said:

Good old Crosby, Stills & Nash. Where are todays equivalents?

I have a few of their albums on vinyl, Deja Vu I played to death when I first purchased, I have recently purchased a Bluetooth turntable so I can enjoy my vinyl collection again. 

Sad to say that Dave Crosby died in January this year. 

Graham Nash (81) Stephen Stills (78) and Neil Young (77) still going strong. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 5

Currently looking at a possible break in Lanzarote in March, apart from a cruise stop at Arrecife, not visited the island. I know it had a reputation of being called “Lanzagrotte” but what is it really like and is there enough to see and do for 2 weeks? 

Just now, Snow Hill said:

Currently looking at a possible break in Lanzarote in March, apart from a cruise stop at Arrecife, not visited the island. I know it had a reputation of being called “Lanzagrotte” but what is it really like and is there enough to see and do for 2 weeks? 

This year I spent two months in Lanzarote last year, from January through to March (last year it was Fuerteventura and next year it is Tenerife). 

Is there enough to see and do? Well it depends what you want to see and do. There isn't an awful lot in the way of historic sites, or lots of culture, and shopping is pretty limited, but for a place to go where the weather is an awful lot better than the UK in order to chill out and relax then it isn't a bad place, particularly as the flight times from the UK to get that better weather are quite reasonable.

The island is very different from the north to the south and inland, so it is worth driving around to see it and hiring a car is cheap (use Cicar or Autoreisen - *nobody* else. Both do fully inclusive packages, so none of this added CDW nonsense or worrying about damage when you return it). The cliffs on the north are impressive, the volcano interesting to walk around, lots of markets (some better than others), diving, kitesurfing, cycling, or just a lazy fish lunch looking out to sea.

The three main tourist areas on the island are Puerto del Carmen - hilly and mostly British but the old town does have a small bit of history, Playa Blanca - flat and international but lots of development going on, and Costa Teguise which was a purpose built holiday resort in the 70s/80s and continuing. All have a mixture of accommodation, restaurants, bars, etc. to suit whatever you want.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We stayed in Puerto del Carmen for 4 weeks last February in a self catering apartment and loved it. We went mainly for the weather as we do like to sit/lay in the sun but we like to walk too. We loved to walk down to the old town in the morning and grab a coffee on the way back. In the evening we used to walk along the strip sometimes we would dine in one of the many restaurants or have a snack and a beer. We used the local busses to get around the island to visit some of the smaller villages, with an occasional tour. Cycles are available to hire around the island as are cars if you want to drive. There are plenty of water sports too. It really does depend on what you like to do

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Grandad John said:

Good old Crosby, Stills & Nash. Where are todays equivalents?

Today's equivalents wouldn't know harmonies if they bit them on the arse John. I was lucky enough to see Crosby Stills Nash and Young at Wembley Stadium in 1970. Fab fab fab!  Jane xx

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Today's equivalents wouldn't know harmonies if they bit them on the arse John. I was lucky enough to see Crosby Stills Nash and Young at Wembley Stadium in 1970. Fab fab fab!  Jane xx

Didn’t have that good fortune Jane, but saw Neil Young & Crazy Horse at Sheffield Arena a few years ago, absolutely awesome.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We stayed in Puerto del Carmen for 4 weeks last February in a self catering apartment and loved it. We went mainly for the weather as we do like to sit/lay in the sun but we like to walk too. We loved to walk down to the old town in the morning and grab a coffee on the way back. In the evening we used to walk along the strip sometimes we would dine in one of the many restaurants or have a snack and a beer. We used the local busses to get around the island to visit some of the smaller villages, with an occasional tour. Cycles are available to hire around the island as are cars if you want to drive. There are plenty of water sports too. It really does depend on what you like to do

Thanks to @yorkshirephil and @9265359 for you insight into Lanzarote, will have a think about what was said. 

4 hours ago, Beckett said:

I really did laugh out loud when I read your comment Jane; almost spilled my coffee 😂.  I’m a fan of those who can manage great harmonies and enjoy it when BBC4 or Sky Arts (forget which!) show performances by Simon & Garfunkel or the Everly brothers for instance.

• Like 3