P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

You were born after their first hit and didn't live through it.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I dislike Elvis Presley's music but respect others choices and appreciate their views. If you dislike some forms of music or voices that is your choice I'd not be so rude as to try to change your mind or argue who is right or wrong.  Musical background really has nothing to do with it.

Incidentally i liked the Monster Mash too, a great mickey take of the rather weird dances of the early sixties like the mashed potato. 

I was born around the same time as Megabear but don’t think it matters when you were born to appreciate good music. I also don’t think that a seven year old has the maturity to ‘live through’ anything. Even their last ‘hit’ as a real group in 1970 would be a bit of a stretch, especially considering the huge variety of music throughout the 60s. The Beatles were good but in my view no better than many other creative bands in the 60s. Maybe they were managed and promoted better than others despite their misuse of illegal drugs that influenced some of their greatly praised (and possibly best) lyrics and music. 

I disliked Monster Mash but enjoyed Snoopy and the Red Baron. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I was born around the same time as Megabear but don’t think it matters when you were born to appreciate good music. I also don’t think that a seven year old has the maturity to ‘live through’ anything. Even their last ‘hit’ as a real group in 1970 would be a bit of a stretch, especially considering the huge variety of music throughout the 60s. The Beatles were good but in my view no better than many other creative bands in the 60s. Maybe they were managed and promoted better than others despite their misuse of illegal drugs that influenced some of their greatly praised (and possibly best) lyrics and music. 

I also liked the Wombles but we may be in to the 70s ..... 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pete14 said:

You miss my point. I was too young to understand the music but well able to know that they were "special" because of the impact they were having on life and the general excitement of the period.  I had to "grow up" musically to realise the quality of the music offering through the sixties into the 70's.  My favourite 60's band is and remains The Kinks but the number of bands of that era are so huge and varied it is really difficult to criticise any of them.

I don't have a musical background of any type, I just listen and like what I like. Trouble is I'm a bit stuck with new stuff as it doesn't appeal.  I have seen George Ezra and Ed Sheeran in the last year but most of my concert attendance is still for older groups.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Although I was never a great Beatles fan, I acknowledge their contribution to the history of music. However, there were many good bands in the 60s when I was growing up, the Beatles are just one of them and maybe not the best. I quite like the new song but maybe out of nostalgia. Much more preferable to much ‘modern music’ but in my view that is not saying a lot. I am not sure that a seven year old can know that an act is going to be very special though. 
Megabear - travelling the world to see bands would only be a dream to me. If I were to achieve the dream, I am not sure the two remaining Beatles would be on my list. 

I hate to say this but I would love to see Robbie Williams live ! Last year heard the Vale concert from our bedroom window. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Although I was never a great Beatles fan, I acknowledge their contribution to the history of music. However, there were many good bands in the 60s when I was growing up, the Beatles are just one of them and maybe not the best. I quite like the new song but maybe out of nostalgia. Much more preferable to much ‘modern music’ but in my view that is not saying a lot. I am not sure that a seven year old can know that an act is going to be very special though. 
Megabear - travelling the world to see bands would only be a dream to me. If I were to achieve the dream, I am not sure the two remaining Beatles would be on my list. 

I guess their early music led the way for the mersey sound,  in the UK, and then the Brit sound that also dominated the US  charts over the end of the 60s, and their musical record is amazing.

But IMO some of their later music was a bit weird, although interspersed with some great tracks. However the 60s, 70's and 80's were full of some great groups and solo artists, unfortunately age does seem to change your appreciation of current musical trends, but just occasionally a modern song does hit the spot again.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

If its in the Retreat we will cope with anything... well other than Paul whatsit 

😉

I shall go out of my way to request a song by a Beatle then! How about Ding Dong Ding Dong by Georte Harrison to celebrate the New Year?  Mind you I could offer you The Frog's Chorus by Mr McCartney ...

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I shall go out of my way to request a song by a Beatle then! How about Ding Dong Ding Dong by Georte Harrison to celebrate the New Year?  Mind you I could offer you The Frog's Chorus by Mr McCartney ...

If you go for Ob la di ob la dah. Everyone will abandon ship!😂

Edited by happy v
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Ding dong what? You've lost me. I know My Dingaling?

Now I like Live and Let Die 

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I hate to say this but I would love to see Robbie Williams live ! Last year heard the Vale concert from our bedroom window. 

Lovely man, met him in Lincoln's Inn Fields when he was filming his video for Life Thru a Lend. He came to our office to apologise for the disruption and told everyone to get a free bacon roll from the food truck. So far not seen him live.  I am seeing Take That again next year though, perhaps he'll guest again as he did on their last tour.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Ding dong what? You've lost me. I know My Dingaling?

Now I like Live and Let Die 

Ding Dong is a George Harrison song from 1974. It was written as  New Year singalong and is from the Dark Horse album. He used the Wall of Sound technique as per Phil Spector.  A minor hit in the UK/USA but huge in Europe, particularly Germany.

Chuck Berry, hmm My Dingaling what a travesty this superb musician is remembered here in the UK for that offering.

• Like 1

Here we go again, had a busy day yesterday so I thought I would sleep like a log tonight,  Wrong again.

Anyway, I liked, The Move,, Moody Blues, Hollies, and Manfred Man,   Nowadays I only travel to see Barry Manilow!!!!

Changing the subject completely.  Our busy day was we left home at 7.30 am and jumped on a coach heading from Kent to the Cotswolds.  Unfortunately, due to accidents on both the M2 and M20 we had to detour through the Medway Towns so we got there late.

We reached Moreton in the Marsh on their market day, had time there then headed for Stow on the Wold which we really liked.   We set off back and travelled during the evening rush hour and got home at 7.45pm.

I should be whacked, but I am wide awake.  My body clock must be right up the wall🤣

• Like 3

Me too, sympathy from me.  I was so tired last evening I fell asleep briefly in my kitchen chair watching House of Games, which I love.  To bed about 8.30, asleep by 9, so naturally awake at just after 1.

Lots of things on my mind, just busyness this week.  However, just had paracetamols and a cup of tea, and hope to go off again before needing to get up at 7.

Though living in Merseyside at the time, I didn't care for the Beatles, but have since come to admire some of the lovely melodies they produced, like Yesterday.  Never liked the Stones either - what a dull woman I am.  Favourite listening is great guitar playing, as in Jeff Beck, Santana etc. . and melodies and harmonies, as in the Beach Boys and Eagles.  (Mostly American, though overall I do think the Brits. made the biggest  contribution to music during the 60s and 70s).

• Like 7

I managed to sleep to 4:45 today, then got up to see that it is raining yet again.

I am so not looking forward to  walking my niece's dog after taking the children to school.

I am really looking forward to having a rest when we go on our cruise.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Always preferred him to the other boring bloke(sorry Zap)😉

• Haha 1

I have got dinner started for this evening, lamb shanks are sitting in the slow cooker with onions and root vegetables.  DH's favourite dinner, so easy and makes the kitchen smell lovely all day. 

I used really like walking in the house after work to smell a meal ready to eat as soon as we wanted it especially if it had been a hard day.

Have a good day whatever you have planned.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I managed to sleep to 4:45 today, then got up to see that it is raining yet again.

I am so not looking forward to  walking my niece's dog after taking the children to school.

I am really looking forward to having a rest when we go on our cruise.

It sounds like you needs rest Josy, your cruise can’t come soon enough.

It’s raining here too, hubby just gone out with the dogs, coats on much to their disgust

Michelle

• Like 3

We are getting nostalgic ! We often have Gold on to listen to the oldies, funny how you remember every word. My favourite musical eras are the 60's, 70's and 80's, but then I am well into my 70,s. Some that haven/t been mentioned that I like, Four Seasons, Patsy Cline, Glen Campbell, Carole King, The Hollies and the list goes on, some great music.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

8c and sunny here at the moment but forecast is showing possible showers later.

We were woken by some banging noises in the loft at 6.00 am this morning, the first time we heard it was on Sunday, I got up and banged the ceiling and it stopped. We’ve had scurrying noises at dawn in the colder months for years but this new noise will need some investigation to see what’s causing it. I suspect mice or maybe a squirrel which we seem to have more around in the garden this year.

No squirrel? noise this morning. Read up on the subject and there are several deterrents from lights in the loft, radio 4 human voices radio on and strong scents like peppermint oil, lavender oil and vinegar. To start with just went with a led low wattage light on and seems to have worked last night but won’t think the problem has been solved just yet. However I didn’t see any around outside yesterday so maybe they’ve gone elsewhere anyway?

• Like 3