P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

7 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Have you tried the weekly Today podcast by Nick Robinson and Amol Rajan? 
It’s extremely good, very incisive and pretty informal!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p0gg4k6r

I like the Newscast podcast with Adam Fleming and Chris Mason. I've tuned in to them since Brexitcast 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Hospital visit went fine, results 2-4 weeks so fingers crossed all is good

Michelle

Fingers crossed for you Michelle, hopefully you will get your results before Christmas and they will be all clear.  My results came back very quickly in September, I was called by someone from the hospital and the call was followed up by letter.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On here at 3 a.m.  so having a read at other threads - I am interested to know about spellcheck and what is called 'predictive'.  My spellcheck just underlines anything like 'colour' because it prefers the US spelling, but I don't need to alter it, though I could.  Just read elsewhere the dreaded 'canopies' for canapes (don't know how to do the accent) and got the impression that the poster could not alter it.

Can one of you clever people explain this.  I presume it is to do with your computer and how it is set up, for an old Luddite who is trying  to learn.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

On here at 3 a.m.  so having a read at other threads - I am interested to know about spellcheck and what is called 'predictive'.  My spellcheck just underlines anything like 'colour' because it prefers the US spelling, but I don't need to alter it, though I could.  Just read elsewhere the dreaded 'canopies' for canapes (don't know how to do the accent) and got the impression that the poster could not alter it.

Can one of you clever people explain this.  I presume it is to do with your computer and how it is set up, for an old Luddite who is trying  to learn.

I am an early bird today as I have an early physio appointment this morning, it is six weeks since my hip op and I also see the consultant today who I am hoping says I am free to go on holiday.

Predictive text is basically your system trying to make an educated guess as to what you are typing and learning as it goes. The android system uses google Gboard whereas apple uses apple quicktype plus several others. In your case you are effectively getting spellcheck on the querty keyboard, you can go to settings and change the language, you could have English (United States) set if it prefers US spelling, you can change to English (United Kingdom). Even this is not perfect as lots of words have been altered to fit the US version especially taking out the (u) in colour and other similar words.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I have an early physio appointment this morning, it is six weeks since my hip op and I also see the consultant today who I am hoping says I am free to go on holiday.

Hope all goes well for you Phil 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

We use Apple systems,,,  If we press the options key before we type...

qwertyuiop[]

asdfghjkl;'\

zxcvbnm,./

will become...

œ∑´®†¥¨^øπ“‘

åß∂ƒ˙∆˚æ«

Ω≈ç√∫~µ≤≥÷

If we press a key, such as "e"  and hold we have a choice of..

èéêëēėęèé

If we really get stuck we Google the term and the copy and paste...

"maître de l'hôtel"

If you use a PC it's different. Help is on hand at ... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/insert-ascii-or-unicode-latin-based-symbols-and-characters-d13f58d3-7bcb-44a7-a4d5-972ee12e50e0

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

I am an early bird today as I have an early physio appointment this morning, it is six weeks since my hip op and I also see the consultant today who I am hoping says I am free to go on holiday.

Predictive text is basically your system trying to make an educated guess as to what you are typing and learning as it goes. The android system uses google Gboard whereas apple uses apple quicktype plus several others. In your case you are effectively getting spellcheck on the querty keyboard, you can go to settings and change the language, you could have English (United States) set if it prefers US spelling, you can change to English (United Kingdom). Even this is not perfect as lots of words have been altered to fit the US version especially taking out the (u) in colour and other similar words.

Good luck today Phil.

6°C and raining here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today is my brother-in-law's funeral.  My sister has just sent me a text telling me to avoid the route that we would usually take to the crematorium has 4 way traffic lights for road works on our usual route.  She couldn't get out of her road last night because traffic heading towards the road with the works was blocking the end of her road.

Our alternative is to go towards the city centre so that will also be very busy.  It looks like an early start out.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I hope it goes well for you and you get the all clear for going on holiday.

Try switching you keyboard to AZERTY instead of QWERTY, I used to use it frequently when I was working and needed to type in French.

Edited by Josy1953
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Today is my brother-in-law's funeral.  My sister has just sent me a text telling me to avoid the route that we would usually take to the crematorium has 4 way traffic lights for road works on our usual route.  She couldn't get out of her road last night because traffic heading towards the road with the works was blocking the end of her road.

Our alternative is to go towards the city centre so that will also be very busy.  It looks like an early start out.

Hope all goes well Josy ,very sad time for your family of recent . Take care 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Hope all goes well Phil.  I would respectfully suggest that you wait a little longer before you book your Swiss snowboarding trip with the lads.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Hope all goes well Phil.  I would respectfully suggest that you wait a little longer before you book your Swiss snowboarding trip with the lads.

He will look well in his hipster jeans doing that .🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@Josy1953 My thoughts are with you and your family today.x

@yorkshirephil Good luck with your appointment. I hope you get the news you're hoping for.

It's a bit dismal and damp here this morning 6c, but the sun is due to make an appearance tomorrow so🤞

While writing out my christmas cards last night it made me think back to all the christmas cards I used to write. I would whinge about the time it took. After looking at the small pile of cards that took me all of 20mins made me feel a little sad.

I would give anything to get writers cramp again.

Have a good day everyone wherever you are are in the world.

Avril

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

@yorkshirephil Good luck with your appointment. I hope you get the news you're hoping for.

It's a bit dismal and damp here this morning 6c, but the sun is due to make an appearance tomorrow so🤞

While writing out my christmas cards last night it made me think back to all the christmas cards I used to write. I would whinge about the time it took. After looking at the small pile of cards that took me all of 20mins made me feel a little sad.

Avril

Sometimes you just have to look at things differently. I have been doing cards and whingeing for two days. I will now be grateful I have people to send them to. AND I am still here to do it!

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Our pile is significantly smaller this year... but we have happy memories and very warm thoughts of so many people who have had such a positive impact on our lives and the lives of others around us.... their stories, their laughter, their warmth and their generosity of spirit... sometimes even their generosity with "spirits!" It leaves us with the feeling of responsibility to pass on some of the care, consideration, love and sacrifices that others have made for us over the years to folk around us. And still we get the reward of sharing in happiness. An old aunt gave us a wonderful crystal vase... it's always used for fresh flowers at Christmas... it always adds to the delight of remembering her.

• Like 12

56 minutes ago, happy v said:

Sometimes you just have to look at things differently. I have been doing cards and whingeing for two days. I will now be grateful I have people to send them to. AND I am still here to do it!

I get notifications on Linkedin.Congratulate Bill on his work anniversary.  Sadly Bill retired 8 years ago and died a few years later. I avoid those now.🤔

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Hope all goes as well as it possibly can today Josy and that you can all remember many happy times with him

Michelle

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, happy v said:

Hear ,hear I fully agree ,so this year  after much soul searching I have decided not to send anyone a Christmas card this year .

Spending about £30  on postage ,just for them to end up in a dustbin in less than two weeks .

This is such a waste of resources really . To stop this waste ,I think the right thing to do is put that money to better use,therefore will buy a nice meal next time we board a cruise ship .

I'm sure this will give me much comfort and joy .Will I regret it ? Not after a few drinks .

I love it when a plan comes together 🙃😉🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Hear ,hear I fully agree ,so this year  after much soul searching I have decided not to send anyone a Christmas card this year .

Spending about £30  on postage ,just for them to end up in a dustbin in less than two weeks .

This is such a waste of resources really . To stop this waste ,I think the right thing to do is put that money to better use,therefore will buy a nice meal next time we board a cruise ship .

I'm sure this will give me much comfort and joy .Will I regret it ? Not after a few drinks .

I love it when a plan comes together 🙃😉🙂

Have you considered writing to tell them you are not sending cards?.🤔

• Haha 10

We are home from the funeral now.  It is sad that these occasions are the only time that we get to see some of our wider family members.  It was very nice service with lots of memories from when we were all younger and more stupid than we are now.

I was chatting to one of b-i-l's brothers and his wife who arebjust back from Iona and as we were considering a cruise on her I asked thier opinions of her and I have now decided that I don't think it is for me so I am glad that we hadn't already booked.  We will go on Sky Princess again instead.

• Like 12