P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

40 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

I think that children are missing out on so much these days, not allowed to sit on Santa's knee anymore, no lovely grotto and do they get any present when visiting him? It used to take weeks to build the grotto in Lewis's (I worked there as well) the window displays, everything was so different and innocent then, how times have changed and not for the best.

When we saw Santa at North Pole Alaska,he wouldn't let me sit on his knee.Mind you I was over 17 stone back then.

• Haha 14

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

You could buy a present from Santa at Bridgemere and they do a "Breakfast with Santa" but we didn't partake so I don't know what it was like.

Yes I've seen the Breakfast with Santa advertised ar Bridgemere, they cordon off part of the restaurant on the left last time we went. 

A nice bright sunny 9.c this morning here .

Mrs K said she is going to do a Sunday dinner with a chicken from Morrisons .

I wonder how many folk will still have a Sunday dinner next week with it 

falling on Christmas eve ?🤔 Not many at a guess .

Have a good day everyone 🙂

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

We won't. I will be too busy preparing Christmas for 14 the next day 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

I'm not a snob I put my ecofriendly free Primark paper bag inside my Lidl bag.

We are not snobs. Oh no we're not. We sometimes pop into Tesco ,but always take a few Waitrose bags. What if the neighbours saw us taking Tesco bags out if the car ?. Strangely enough you sometimes see some made up Celebrity Ladies in the car park, Like Louise Rednap. Lots of posh houses up the road in Weybridge. Tesco share a carpark with M&S. We have a few M&S food Hall bags as well.🤣

• Like 2

Good morning.  Thank you all for the help on the  Warners breaks.  I have now booked my friends in for a 4 day break in June for something described as an "Explore Break".  From all your kind help I'm sure they will love it.

Very busy day yesterday organising the last Christmas present and then a quick dash up to Essex for my niece's first birthday. How time rushes on, seems impossible it's a year since we were sitting at Gatwick flying out to join Britannia when she decided to come into the world.  All the excitement of boarding and rushing to activate our Internet to learn if she was here yet to be greeted by her first photograph, and there she was yesterday literally running around with her slightly older cousin.  We learned yesterday we have another niece or nephew on the way as well, arriving in July.  We had three weddings in close succession in 2022 and now have two little ones here already from those couples with a third arrival expected.  Amongst all the sadness and turmoil it is so lovely to hear such good news and gives hope for us all.

We are having our "staff" Christmas lunch today.  Every year we take our cleaner, gardner and helpful odd job man and their respective families for a lunch at our local pub, always a really festive do.  Last year our local had closed down as the owners had gone into administration, however it reopened in the summer and is apparently thriving. It will be interesting to revisit.

Tomorrow will be the frantic packing ready to head to Gatwick on Wednesday for the flight to Florida, I'm totally unorganised this time round but thankfully we don't need too much posh stuff as the worst will be stuff to dress to impress one evening.  Looking forward to the two days in FLL before we board as we catch up with my friends.  

Ellie got 6 votes from us too ...

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

I think that children are missing out on so much these days, not allowed to sit on Santa's knee anymore, no lovely grotto and do they get any present when visiting him? It used to take weeks to build the grotto in Lewis's (I worked there as well) the window displays, everything was so different and innocent then, how times have changed and not for the best.

I didn't realise children couldn't sit on Santa's knee..but thinking about it 🤔. Sad really.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, kalos said:

We are out to dinner with the relatives Christmas eve...And a restaurant Christmas day. DW said Warners are doing some Twixmas b........I see a pattern forming here.🧑‍🎄

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, happy v said:

We won't. I will be too busy preparing Christmas for 14 the next day 

Wow good luck with that lot but I'm sure it will be worth it .

I'll never forget one  Christmas when my father went to jail.

He was refusing to talk to anyone being downright rude and swearing enough 

to make a miner blush .

I never played  Monopoly with him ever again.🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 21

35 minutes ago, lindyloo22 said:

I remember to 2 posh shops in Brixton high street Bon Marche and Morley’s (I think that’s what it was called) and I loved Brixton market in the late sixties early seventies had my first Saturday job in one of the arcades in Brixton.

Do you remember Headquarters and General in Brixton. I purchased an outboard motor there.....How's that for random.

16 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Good morning.  Thank you all for the help on the  Warners breaks.  I have now booked my friends in for a 4 day break in June for something described as an "Explore Break".  From all your kind help I'm sure they will love it.

Very busy day yesterday organising the last Christmas present and then a quick dash up to Essex for my niece's first birthday. How time rushes on, seems impossible it's a year since we were sitting at Gatwick flying out to join Britannia when she decided to come into the world.  All the excitement of boarding and rushing to activate our Internet to learn if she was here yet to be greeted by her first photograph, and there she was yesterday literally running around with her slightly older cousin.  We learned yesterday we have another niece or nephew on the way as well, arriving in July.  We had three weddings in close succession in 2022 and now have two little ones here already from those couples with a third arrival expected.  Amongst all the sadness and turmoil it is so lovely to hear such good news and gives hope for us all.

We are having our "staff" Christmas lunch today.  Every year we take our cleaner, gardner and helpful odd job man and their respective families for a lunch at our local pub, always a really festive do.  Last year our local had closed down as the owners had gone into administration, however it reopened in the summer and is apparently thriving. It will be interesting to revisit.

Tomorrow will be the frantic packing ready to head to Gatwick on Wednesday for the flight to Florida, I'm totally unorganised this time round but thankfully we don't need too much posh stuff as the worst will be stuff to dress to impress one evening.  Looking forward to the two days in FLL before we board as we catch up with my friends.  

Ellie got 6 votes from us too ...

After replying to your request about Warner, I booked another one at Heythorpe Park. We haven't been to that one. ...Look dear Maxine Mazumder (?). Is on, we saw her do Adele on Britannia. On Christmas morning DW cooks a bacon sandwich for our decorator, gardener, handyman/chauffeur.  This year they are taking her to lunch at Miller & Carter.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I think many have a false misconception with regards to cruising with Cunard without knowing the full facts and believe things that are no longer necessary. They have formal nights. Where black tie or dark suit are required just the same as P&O the rest are of similar dress of smart casual/ smart attire. Also like P&O if you don't want to adhere to the dress code you can eat in the buffet restaurant and there are lounges/ bars where you can go exactly the same as P&O.

So posh, or trough. If we want to skip formal on P&O there are several nice alternatives. Glasshouse, beach house etc. You are not banished to the buffet.

22 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

That’s exactly what we are doing for the

in-laws for their Christmas present. We are taking them to Nidd Hall in Harrogate next Weds.

It is only our second Warner break but last time everything was really good, the room, the food, the entertainment, the spa and pool and the service. I am sure they would love it

Michelle

One of our Sarah's friends had her wedding at Nidd Hall and loved it.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, zap99 said:

I said to DW this morning " you don't see Telfers pies around nowadays." Washed down with a double diamond.

My mum's cousin worked for Telfers in their factory in Bow.  I recall my dad asking her what her job entailed and her replying she had to stuff the meat in a big hole at the rear!

• Haha 5

Owen Owen in Coventry is most probably the shop that we still miss most. That was the place of a young couples' dreams in the 1970s... the latest and most modern china, stoneware and all sorts of stuff for setting up home... sometimes affordable and other times only aspirational but it was exciting, engaging and exhilarating. 

It was there that we chose Denby Romany as our main dining set... only dining set to begin with... and we're still laying the table in grand style with the same plates and such-like that we bought piece by piece 50 years ago. Each bit was all that we could afford at the time and so we had lots and lots of visits!

Little did we realise that half a century later... it would become every so fashionable again with the "Cotswold set." 

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Owen Owen in Coventry is most probably the shop that we still miss most. That was the place of a young couples' dreams in the 1970s... the latest and most modern china, stoneware and all sorts of stuff for setting up home... sometimes affordable and other times only aspirational but it was exciting, engaging and exhilarating. 

It was there that we chose Denby Romany as our main dining set... only dining set to begin with... and we're still laying the table in grand style with the same plates and such-like that we bought piece by piece 50 years ago. Each bit was all that we could afford at the time and so we had lots and lots of visits!

Little did we realise that half a century later... it would become every so fashionable again with the "Cotswold set." 

We had Romany at one point too. Our son and his wife have it now and she’s thrilled with it. Our daughter however also grew up with it - and hates it with a passion! Back in the 70s all newly wed couples seemed to hanker after a set of Denby.

Now they just want to be able to afford to buy, or even rent, somewhere. We were an extremely fortunate generation.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Leomins said:

Nor me, but I’ve not been on a ship for more than 14 days. I would if I did longer cruises. I think the facility is a good one for those who want it.

14 nights. I said to DW that's 14 pairs of socks to pack. Take a couple of spares. Sorry dear, why would I need spare socks....just do as your told....yes dear.

• Haha 3