P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

We didn’t have it at home but my Gran had it forever. We used to visit with our own roll of Andrex! She must have bought a job lot after the war and was still using it into the 1980s!

And yes school as well.

My Gran still had an outside toilet when she died in 1986!! The crazy thing is they made a small bathroom in the corner of their bedroom and only put a bath & a sink in it!!

Michelle

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I thought it sounded like a flexi tap connector,luckily it had a ballofix valve under it.Makes fitting baths a lot easier but they do fail sometimes.

Strangely this one had developed a hole, the metal casing actually had frayed. The plumber said he's not seen one do that before as it's usually the valve that fails.  Probably just typical of my luck!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

My Gran still had an outside toilet when she died in 1986!! The crazy thing is they made a small bathroom in the corner of their bedroom and only put a bath & a sink in it!!

Michelle

My Granddad had an indoor one, but also one in the garden with Old Moore's Almanac for the paper.  My Uncle Jack was locally famous  for growing great rhubarb.  Yes, there was a connection.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Strangely this one had developed a hole, the metal casing actually had frayed. The plumber said he's not seen one do that before as it's usually the valve that fails.  Probably just typical of my luck!

I've had copper pipe develop pinholes a few times.It's all down to impurities in the material and also the local water.These things are cheaply mass produced in the far east.Glad it was resolved,Brian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, lincslady said:

My Granddad had an indoor one, but also one in the garden with Old Moore's Almanac for the paper.  My Uncle Jack was locally famous  for growing great rhubarb.  Yes, there was a connection.

Your grandad didn't believe in the stars then?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

My blank ,blank ,blank is in working order Kalos.It's called a valve nowdays.I've never changed the terminology either.😉

I forgot how this site works , my brother in law was in the same trade as you and called it 

a blank ,. Funny how you can call it a stopcock but .. Oh forget it 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Oh dear, that red sky didn't work, torrential rain here this morning.:classic_sad:

Red sky at night yer chip shops alight 😉

Morning 6.c with 3.c feel and raining , looks like it's here for the day so

another day chilled out.

Have a good day everyone🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Just an update on my quest for getting off one drug and on to pain patches.

Well after my daughter's intervention (she is a Hospital Recruitment Manager so knows procedure), I was telephoned and offered an appointment with a Practitioner.   My daughter was going to drive down but luckily I managed to put her off, and glad I did, she would have gone ape!

We walked in and a lady was at her computer and asked us to bear with her, finishing last patient's notes.    It was obvious from her manner that she had absolutely no idea why we were there.  She said "you have a backache"   NO that was not why we were there, I have had the scans the mri's, the injections, we were there to discuss whether patches were suitable with my history. I took out the latest Consultant letter which requested patches and she turned to her computer for over 5 minutes.  She then said she had been sending details to a colleague and they would discuss it.  Why couldn't I see a colleague before.  

I don't know who she was, I have never seen her before or heard of her. 

The final straw was when I said that I have a few questions about the patches and their suitability, and who should I ask and she politely told me there was no time my time was up.   She had wasted it.  She was polite, but seemed out of her depth somehow and was more or less sideways on to us, with an accent, so we missed a lot of it.

We left bemused.  It was atrocious.  Years ago I was Practice Manager.Secretary to a small surgery and nothing like it would have happened there.

Anyway she phoned later and said prescription was at Chemist so I hope the Pharmacist will help me.

I hope the patches work for you. I’m afraid I wouldn’t have been as polite as you managed to be, you did well to keep composed.

Michelle

• Like 7

🎶 It’s Raining All Over The World 😕

I think we’re planning taking ourselves out for a pizza tonight, to make amends for dismal weather and wet dog walks

Michelle - best wishes to your Mum.  It must come hard to her  - one minute being fit and fine, the next being really incapacitated.  She must feel like she has aged 20 years overnight.  Poor thing

Have the best day you can everybody.  Only one more week of February to go.  At least March sounds like it should be Spring

• Like 8

Mum update - she is waiting for a bed at another hospital for intermediate care (respite), they have four wards at this hospital offering this so hopefully she won’t have to wait long. She is still not eating much, they are giving her protein drinks now. Hopefully they can help her with her mobility too. She has changed overnight from been totally independent to needing full time care. It is so sad to see

Michelle

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

you did well to keep composed.

We don't know how we kept it together.  I wanted to walk out but that would have meant starting all over again.  Pick up patches later and will really hope the Pharmacist can give me advice.  All I wanted was no drama, just a chat with an expert and to be free of agony which hits some of the time.Pain I can handle, agony is harder to take.

Anyway OH is taking me to meet some friends for lunch and have a large glass of wine as with new meds alcohol is banned for a while.

Sincerely hope your mum gets on ok Michelle.  Best wishes x

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

My blank ,blank ,blank is in working order Kalos.It's called a valve nowdays.I've never changed the terminology either.😉

What's that thing in the water tank that goes up and down to shut the water off?.........,Dare you.🤣

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I seem to remember that we alternated between Izal and Bronco when I was a lad.

Those were the days. Shiney loo paper. I think you can still get it. Medicated loo paper. That can be useful 🤣

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

What's that thing in the water tank that goes up and down to shut the water off?.........,Dare you.🤣

I think you can say as one word,ballcock.Yep, it worked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

@Peanut006

Dear Michelle. I am so sorry to read how poorly your mum is. It's only a few weeks since you posted that glorious family photo and we all commented on how sprightly your mum looked. I really hope she gets to respite quickly and they can work on her mobility and confidence. 

Love and hugs. Jane xx

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Mum update - she is waiting for a bed at another hospital for intermediate care (respite), they have four wards at this hospital offering this so hopefully she won’t have to wait long. She is still not eating much, they are giving her protein drinks now. Hopefully they can help her with her mobility too. She has changed overnight from been totally independent to needing full time care. It is so sad to see

Michelle

Great news Michelle hopefully she won’t be waiting too long. Your Mum has had a bit of a rough time and like the rest of us as we get older we don’t bounce back as quickly as we used to but with a bit of input from the intermediate care team she’ll soon get her spark back.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Strawberry jam.

Starbucks toasted fruit bread.

Ohh, I may try some on my toasted hot cross bun. I'm not sure if it will clash with the cinnamon though. I will report tomorrow 

• Like 3